cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holidays are coming and so are the thieves, be cautious.

Unfortunately lost, stolen packages increase this time of year. Take extra steps to protect your ebay packages, gift card or check mailing, and ordering online.

If you find yourself with a missing/ stolen package or letter you can and must report it thru the postal inspector and here is the number.

Screenshot_20221115-092227_Photos~2.jpg

      keep this number handy and you do get to speak to a human!

Also they will ask you for the zip code of the post office you mailed it from along with dates you mailed it, so keep all this handy.

Please take my advice and don't send out colorful Christmas card envelopes with gift cards or personal checks without getting tracking and registered mailI made a thread about this and it's a nightmare to go thru.

Use only the Post Office drop off inside not the blue drop off boxes outside. Don't use your regular mailbox with the flag up.

Anyone else have any tips?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

HI!

My tip would be do not write on the box what the item is!   I order online more than most being I am homebound. I can not believe the people that will tape invoices saying what is inside. It truly amazes me. Some here wrote that they do that & I could not believe what I was reading. Never should this have been done from the start of time & now even moreso.

Good luck everyone🍀 & Happy holidays to you all💖

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Numerous stories in the news about people stealing the key to the blue boxes...a universal key!  Great info @silverstatetreasureboxes  thanks!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

HI!

My tip would be do not write on the box what the item is!   I order online more than most being I am homebound. I can not believe the people that will tape invoices saying what is inside. It truly amazes me. Some here wrote that they do that & I could not believe what I was reading. Never should this have been done from the start of time & now even moreso.

Good luck everyone🍀 & Happy holidays to you all💖

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy 

Yes windy when the USPS warns you not to use these drop off blue boxes outside there is something wrong!

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@s.scharmu0 

Great tip, I think I would croak if I seen that! Thank you for your post.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Can you give some examples with true links that are not tied to more false information?

Keys are tracked by their number, and I believe marked not to be duplicated and assigned to USPS employees just like when a person has a P.O. box, or an apartment box assigned to them which they have to fill out a form with USPS to get.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

Can you give some examples with true links that are not tied to more false information?

Keys are tracked by their number, and I believe marked not to be duplicated and assigned to USPS employees just like when a person has a P.O. box, or an apartment box assigned to them which they have to fill out a form with USPS to get.

And you really think that a thief is going to obey that rule?

Anyways, at your request, here are 2 links:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/5-charged-with-stealing-mail-usps-mailbox-keys-in-chicago/2970...

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/mail-theft-master-keys-usps-supervisor-explains/

Do a Google search. There are many more.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

It's all well and good that the keys are assigned, but all that goes out the window when the keys are stolen! 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

the easiest way to avoid the pain and headache is to spend the $3.10 for signature required at delivery. Filing a claim with USPS is worse than doing your annual taxes or fighting an insurance / medical bill.

if seller has doubts:

1. google map buyers address and see what it looks like. I had a few that looked like empty homes, empty lots, and even a convenience store.?

2. review buyers' status and feedback

3. you can always offer local pick-up. Suggest doing it during the day at an open public location or at your local police station if value is high. Check your local police station guidelines and schedule for such transactions. 

If a buyer is worried. Just do the reverse of what I have already stated.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

those involved in the theft will be tracked down and dealt with, but we will not be informed of the outcome nor the new measures that may be put into place. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Sig Con is not a bad idea for big ticket items, but for people who work 5-6 ten hour days a week, finding time to get to the PO during business hours can be tough. Or impossible. If the OP did use Sig Con, I would hope they put it in the listing for the buyer to see before bidding/ purchasing.

If I have to take time off from work to go to the PO to pick up a 6 dollar widget that I didn't know I'd needed to sign for, I'd be happier if I'd just lost the item AND my money, because I dented my paycheck to go get it. I wouldn't neg a seller for it, but there are plenty who would.

Just my $.02. Sound advice on the rest.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

For the right amount of money , any key can be duplicated!  You are a good and honest person. Unfortunately, the world does not have enough folks like you.  For a price any key can be duplicated, any lock can be unlocked, etc. etc.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Hi!

For over 10 years a while ago I managed Gas stations. Anyone could duplicate keys for doors and even safes. Locksmiths back then anyway did not care they wanted to make a sale. It still might be easy to get a key copied. You know " where there's a will there's a way".

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

those involved in the theft will be tracked down and dealt with, but we will not be informed of the outcome nor the new measures that may be put into place. 

Well of course not. If they publish the new measures that just makes easy for a thief to devise a new plan.

The best protection I have against a home invasion is that the potential criminals DO NO KNOW whether or not I have gun with a high capacity magazine. (Nevada is an open carry state). Or a Black Belt. Or a large vicious dog(s), Or a chain saw.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I used to do Class1 Division 1 wiring at gas stations. I don't know if its still the same, but each gas dispenser would be supplied with several keys. With 5-10 dispensers on a site, you could have four times that number of keys floating around that no one would miss ONE.

It was noticed that these keys could be used to open any section of any number of dispensers ANYWHERE... The cut patterns were few, so it would be easy to see how someone could pocket a key.

Not much of a stretch to imagine an organization that is as large as the PS to have a few loose keys just as in this situation I laid out.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply