cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here's a new twist on selling. Not sure what it is...

I haven't sold in years and am not anywhere close to being up to date.  A recent purchase has me curious about something.

Ordered two of same item from a seller, got the usual shipping notifications and tracking numbers (FedEx in this one)

The next day, a WalMart contract driver shows up with one  item from WalMart.   Thought this was odd being that my order is supposedly coming trhough FedEx.  Fed the confirmation number to FedEx confirmation- nothing there.  

Following day another WalMart delivery driver and the second item.   Weird.   The delivery tag on the WalMart item matched the confirmation number on the purchase page.    Just for fun, I checked the WalMarrt website - the item was $3 less there that I paid.  That's my fault, I only looked at Lowes and HD website before using ebay.  

So, what I see here is a Seller who marks up and lists WalMart items at a marked up price and abuses his WalMart Plus free delivery plan to gover the "Free Shipping".

I think it's kind of a genius way to work the system, but seems ethically wrong.  

Pay attention. China is going to win it all!
Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

My curiosity was I sell flower bulbs and someone from Singapore purchased 6 orders and they were going at 6 different places in the US. Someone told me they are drop shipping. That makes sense but I would much rather have the profits stay in the US. And they could really ask too.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Agreed.   Appropriate Feedback may be useful.   

Items are glass humminbird feeders that sell unboxed.  Don't want to be on the hook for packaging/shipping.  (Yes, that is ethical weaseling on my part)  

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

True 'Drop Shipping' is one thing and there really isn't much wrong with it.  For the most part it does not violate anyones TOS. 

Using WalMart Plus for commercial gain violates their TOS

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Agreed.   Appropriate Feedback may be useful.   

Items are glass humminbird feeders that sell unboxed.  Don't want to be on the hook for packaging/shipping.  (Yes, that is ethical weaseling on my part)  

For NAD returns you are not on the hook for the shipping. Seller either provides you with a return label and refund you when they have the item back or they can simply refund you and allow you to keep the item. 

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

I see no real problem. Ethically wrong, but.................  live, and let live. I have no need to "police" the world.

I order. I pay. I get my item.

If I failed to buy the item at the best possible price...................  well, that's on me.

Anyone suggesting how to extract that "pound of flesh" by opening a NAD return, to me, falls deeper into the realm of unethical. 

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

My big question is how did the seller make any money after listing & selling fees?

From what I read; the buyer paid $6 over retail ($3 more on each item). It took two deliveries to fulfill the order. 

Now $6 is not bad for buyer convenience of not having to drive and your time, but there is still a bigger issue here and so many questions for transactions like this such as logistically, financially, burning fuel, shipping materials / labels / labor. I'm sure I'm missing other concerns. 

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

All the seller had was some click, click, click.

When I purchase from Wally "online" I get 5% cashback when using my Wally card.

Until the seller gets caught, they are making a little money here, and a little money there for clicking on the keyboard in their PJ's.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

The same thing happened to me.  That was how I learned years ago that Walmart had an online site.  I did not know that was an ebay no-no back then. I got my item and let it go. I figured that the guy made a few bucks so I was not going to penalize him.  Now I check many other websites and it's actually rare when I buy an item here that is not a vintage toy.  I can thank that seller for that.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Seller has been at it for a while, but none of the feedback references "drop shipping".

Complaints of "not what they ordered" which might indicate a "similar" item being substituted when OOS occurs.

Complaints of "nothing" delivered which might be a result of OOS.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

So, the seller does not have items in hand, but gambles listing and hoping that Wally still has in stock when someone buys. I guess the seller then makes the purchase and changes the shipping address to the buyer from eBay.

I still don't see a profit margin for the seller at all with time spent juggling / scamming. Just seems the seller is working harder for nothing. Those P.J. people are the problem! How they work the system is more work than just having a regular job, but my guess they are taking advantage of all the government benefits that they can and still making some bank. 

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

Its not honest to request a return for "not as described". If they bought it from walmart and then shipped it out themselves, you would not know where they got it.

Jesus said to return good for evil. 

The world would be a much better place if more would do this. Quit fighting for our rights. That makes enemies!

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Exactly! If we would all take responsibility for our own mess ups instead of trying to blame someone else, this world would be a much better place!

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

They could have suddenly run out of stock, and substituted from walmart. What would you in the sellers situation if that happened to you?

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Jesus said to return good for evil. 

O I believe eBay itself does plenty of that. 

Message 29 of 29
latest reply