cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Miami Freight Forwarder says wrong item sent and returning different item

This is a posting id.

Can anything be done about this or am I just ripped off? $100 action figure with $20 shipping. Item sent to a big freight forwarding company based in Miami that buys the item with their own account (over 38,000 feedbacks in last year) then sends to actual buyer. My item was delivered on 1/5/24 and today 1/17/24 I get a message from Ebay that a return has been automatically approved with the reason: wrong item sent. Attached to the return case is a photo of a completely different item (very cheap item and not the $100 item I sent).

My package weighed 4 pounds 3.2 ounces according to the post office receipt I received when I handed it to the postal clerk at the post office. The item they supposedly received could not have weighed more than 2 pounds total (packaging included).

1/3/24 Item shipped
1/5/24 Item delivered
1/17/24 Return automatically approved for wrong item sent

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

@monster-deals wrote:

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

If the receiver actually paid you for the item then they are not a freight forwarder they are simply another seller filling orders.

You just described a freight forwarder.

No, they described Retail Arbitrage, which is against the Ebay rules.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 34
latest reply

A lot going on here.

First thing, did you do your homework on the buyer. Reviewing their profile / full feedback, their actual location, and checking the shipping address via Google map.

1/3 shipped and 1/5 delivered seems very quick and probably just the freight forwarder receiving.  Would that be correct?

I would like to ask anyone here how do freight forwarders operate?  Do they open the package or just relabel package / bulk ship to the buyer who set up an account with them in the U.S.?

My other question would be for eBay is why are sellers never notified of the new tracking number / status after the freight forwarder ships? 

please keep us updated on what you actually get back.

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

Only after the item is actually shipped off to the buyer from the FF.

@mam98031 

Proof of that is no longer required.  Back in the day when it was,  Trinton's old "the buyer may actually work there" or "the buyer may actually live at that address" or "that buyer from Siberia is just having his stuff held there until he comes by to pick it up someday"   yada yada it soon became a very impractical if not embarrassing declaration.  No way 300 or more people from the Russian Federation could possibly work or live at that address in New Castle.  Nor was it possible to believe that all those 'empty boxes' arrived there as well day after day.  The seller providing proof of reshipment has been basically abandoned.  

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals 

To me it does not sound like a FF.  I've dealt with a lot of them over the years and I've never had one open the package before shipping it on to the international buyer.  I think it is a company or person that their business is to locate and purchase something a customer of theirs is looking for.  They of course charge them a fee for the service.

Buyers don't set up a US account so they can use a FF.  They do have an international account and just have a primary ship to address that is a US address.

As to sellers getting notified when an FF ships the item on to the international buyer.  It simply isn't necessary.  The seller's responsibility stops at the FF's address per the MBG.  In reality there are some exceptions not noted in the MBG.  But one this is a constant, if the buyer files an INAD after they get the item at their international address, the seller is not responsible for paying international shipping rates for a return.  That is on the buyer.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Only after the item is actually shipped off to the buyer from the FF.

@mam98031 

Proof of that is no longer required.  Back in the day when it was,  Trinton's old "the buyer may actually work there" or "the buyer may actually live at that address" or "that buyer from Siberia is just having his stuff held there until he comes by to pick it up someday"   yada yada it soon became a very impractical if not embarrassing declaration.  No way 300 or more people from the Russian Federation could possibly work or live at that address in New Castle.  Nor was it possible to believe that all those 'empty boxes' arrived there as well day after day.  The seller providing proof of reshipment has been basically abandoned.  

I didn't say that they did, I actually never knew it was a requirement.  I've always gone by if the buyer asks for a return and they are somewhere other than the address the product was shipped to, then the seller wasn't responsible because it had to be reshipped in one way shape or form to get to the new address.

If by chance I do get an INAD from a transaction like this.  Approving it usually isn't an issue because the return shipping label is good for the address the seller shipped the item to, which in this case is a US FF.  To take advantage of the label, the buyer would have to ship the item back to the FF at their expense, then pay the FF to reship it to me.  I never had that happen.  I suppose it could, but in my experience it never happened.

There was a time when I sold fragrances that I dealt with a lot of **bleep**.

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

then question the O.P. They stated F.F. in post. 

The F.F. process for buyers not located in the US is their work-a-round when a seller does not offer international shipping.

You know that as a long-time member. 

That is why all sellers need to check buyer's profile before shipping. 

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

If the receiver actually paid you for the item then they are not a freight forwarder they are simply another seller filling orders.

You just described a freight forwarder.

A freight forwarder would not have been the one to pay for the item it would have been the buyer. 

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

To take advantage of the label, the buyer would have to ship the item back to the FF at their expense, then pay the FF to reship it to me.

@mam98031 

No, the buyer could forward that label to someone in the US, who simply changes the ship to address to reflect a parcel of  air or a packing peanut being sent to the local gas station of the seller.   Voila!!! Confirmation of delivery that passes the eBay bot smell test, even though the seller got NOTHING.   Same tracking number, same barcode, altered address.  Much less expensive for the scammer than purchasing/shipping a cheap trinket from Amazon or Etsy and sending to that seller's local gas station. 

New enhanced streamlined version of the fake tracking return scam.  

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

The F.F. process for buyers not located in the US is their work-a-round when a seller does not offer international shipping.

It's not that it is necessarily a "work around" although it may be. A lot of foreign buyers utilize FF'ers to save on shipping costs. A FF may combine a lot of buyers packages into a single shipment and drastically reduce what would be cost prohibitive shipping on an individual basis. 

It can also be a work around as it has become with a lot of buyers in the Russian Federation. Due to the current sanctions a number of Chinese companies have established FF'ers in China that are receiving shipments from countries with sanctions in place against the Russian Federation. The shipments are consolidated at the FF in China and sent on to the Russian Federation.  

I have shipped a number of items through a FF and never had any problems or issues. However there are some items I would never send through a FF, most of those being high value, high target items for scammers. The eBay policy may protect you once the item is delivered to the FF but that policy means nothing in the face of a chargeback. Cell phones and other electronics seem to be highly vulnerable to chargeback scams. 

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

A lot going on here.

First thing, did you do your homework on the buyer. Reviewing their profile / full feedback, their actual location, and checking the shipping address via Google map.

It appears the OP did a little review since they noted the number of feedbacks the "buyer" had but OP has not returned to address a couple of questions so no idea who the actual buyer was in this case. OP seems to think it is the address they shipped the package to in which case they are not technically a FF. In this case they are the buyer and the name and location would be the same for both the shipping and the registered buyer's address. 

1/3 shipped and 1/5 delivered seems very quick and probably just the freight forwarder receiving.  Would that be correct?

Possibly but since this is a posting account for the OP there is no way of telling where they are located or where the buyer was/is located. I just shipped a package that I dropped at the PO early in the morning and the package was delivered the same day. Buyer was less than 10 miles away. 

I would like to ask anyone here how do freight forwarders operate?  Do they open the package or just relabel package / bulk ship to the buyer who set up an account with them in the U.S.?

This may vary depending on the FF and what is/was being shipped. 

My other question would be for eBay is why are sellers never notified of the new tracking number / status after the freight forwarder ships? 

EBay would have no way of knowing the tracking information for the onward shipment unless the FF provided it which they are not likely to do. It is one reason the buyers MBG ends once the item is delivered to the FF. 

please keep us updated on what you actually get back.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

The F.F. process for buyers not located in the US is their work-a-round when a seller does not offer international shipping.

Not necessarily.  Some international buyers use **bleep** to save money on shipping.  Having a few purchases shipped together likely saves them enough to even pay for the services the FF charges.  IDK, this is an assumption on my part. 

I've had buyers use **bleep** when I do ship internationally.

Many sellers would not have the time to do all the research on a buyer before shipping.  However I think you have a great point, especially for more expensive items.

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

To take advantage of the label, the buyer would have to ship the item back to the FF at their expense, then pay the FF to reship it to me.

@mam98031 

No, the buyer could forward that label to someone in the US, who simply changes the ship to address to reflect a parcel of  air or a packing peanut being sent to the local gas station of the seller.   Voila!!! Confirmation of delivery that passes the eBay bot smell test, even though the seller got NOTHING.   Same tracking number, same barcode, altered address.  Much less expensive for the scammer than purchasing/shipping a cheap trinket from Amazon or Etsy and sending to that seller's local gas station. 

New enhanced streamlined version of the fake tracking return scam.  

You are talking about those willing to do dishonest things.  That is not most buyers.

If you want all the what IFs, the list will likely be long.  But what you describe is not the normal process with most buyers.

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

Yup, with over 38,000 feedback in the past year this is a business that, as has been posted, locates and purchases items for international buyers, and then sells to/ ships them on to the buyer. Perhaps they are paid ahead of the eBay purchase.

I have had that. Strange (to me) buyer ID.  The ID was the name of a former Japanese Olympic skier. Do not remember the state that I shipped to. Someplace west of the Mississippi.

Transaction went just fine.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

OP here.  To answer a couple of questions:

The company I sent my item to is XIPRON Inc. (located in Miami, FL).  They are just like that Japanese forwarder, known as Shop Airlines, as they purchase the item off Ebay for the foreign buyer.  So there is no way of knowing where their buyer client is located (with other freight forwarders the foreign buyer uses their own account to purchase the item then has it sent to the forwarders US location).

This is a $100 item with $20 shipping.

I am located in North Dakota (somebody asked where I am located).

Yes, North Dakota to Miami is usually very fast for some reason - about 2 days to deliver.

I tried messaging the forwarding company and they do not respond.

The Ebay issued return shipping label has not been used yet (Ebay giving buyer until 2/7/24 to ship it).

I believe this is what is happening (just a guess): The forwarding company received the item on 1/5/24 then shipped to their foreign buyer client which probably received it on 1/17/24 or little earlier.  Their foreign buyer client then probably told the forwarding company that they received the wrong item (sent them a photo of a cheap item).  The forwarding company then opened a case with Ebay for wrong item sent.  OR...the forwarding company repacked my item and accidentally switched out the item (although I am fairly certain the buyer is scamming).

Ebay is giving the foreign buyer until Feb. 7th to get the item into the mail stream, so this gives the foreign buyer time to ship their supposedly received "wrong item" back to the forwarding company then on to me.  Or what is probably going to happen: purchase a cheap item from Amazon and have that sent to me as the return.  Or they will doctor the return label to have a cheap item sent to some other location in my zip code.

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

Somebody wanted me to post with my selling id so here it is.

Message 30 of 34
latest reply