cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having an eBay store is really paying off!

Selling on eBay certainly is...………..what??!   In the last 9 days, I've sold $11.65 on here.  On FB - $165  On Kijiji - $40.  What a joke!   Good luck to all.    🙂

Message 1 of 103
latest reply
102 REPLIES 102

Thanks for the update. You may want to double check your asking prices if you want to move stuff a little faster.

Message 2 of 103
latest reply

Yes.....yes.   Been selling online since 2001.  I investigate sold items before choosing a price.  Also - this is what BEST OFFER is for.  Don't like my prices?  OFFER!  You can see on my feedback how many items I've sold with offers.  Several of my listings, also, do not have any competition nor sold listings to compare prices to.   I'm not going to lower my prices to please the cheap-os.   lol  If a previous item sold for $100 US, I'm not going to sell mine for $30.  

Message 3 of 103
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Selling on eBay certainly is...………..what??!   In the last 9 days, I've sold $11.65 on here.  On FB - $165  On Kijiji - $40.  What a joke!   Good luck to all.    🙂

Having an ebay store is paying off for ebay.    I been here since early 1998 with rarely more than 35-40 items listed and I still prefer auction style and NEVER opened a store.   I do sell at the swap meet so during the week I list here then if no interest I take it to the public.   I have learned one thing.  Less is More.   Folks think that they more they have listed the more relevant they are in ebays' eyes.  They forget that sell through rate makes a seller relevant.   I use my 50 free then if I have an item that is a slam dunk I will pay the listing fee.   

Message 4 of 103
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Yes.....yes.   Been selling online since 2001.  I investigate sold items before choosing a price.  Also - this is what BEST OFFER is for.  Don't like my prices?  OFFER!  

We all use Best Offer on occasion but Best Offer really means your asking price is to high.

Message 5 of 103
latest reply

No.  it doesn't.  If my price is $30, this means they have sold for this amount but, if you offer $20, chances are I would sell.

Message 6 of 103
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

No.  it doesn't.  If my price is $30, this means they have sold for this amount but, if you offer $20, chances are I would sell.

Part of the problem is that if a buyer offers $20 the seller gets upset and heads for their Blocked Bidder List.    The buyer heads for exit or scrolls to find same/similar on a straight BIN.

Message 7 of 103
latest reply

Then those sellers need to grow up or leave or don't add best offer option.

Message 8 of 103
latest reply

It's odd that up to January 7 you were selling everything, then after that date your sales dropped dramatically. I wonder why? What changed?

Message 9 of 103
latest reply

@ohnojoey wrote:

It's odd that up to January 7 you were selling everything, then after that date your sales dropped dramatically. I wonder why? What changed?

About 3 weeks ago they changed search algorithms again, it's a possibility that you might have seen changes in your sales/impression graphs starting around then.

Message 10 of 103
latest reply

Great info, @zamo-zuan 

I understand the algorithm changes regularly.  

Message 11 of 103
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Great info, @zamo-zuan 

I understand the algorithm changes regularly.  

One of the eBay managers told me it changes "about 100 times a year".

I don't know if that's accurate, but it's fairly easy to notice changes about every 1-2 months.

It would be helpful if best practices/recommendations by eBay were updated based around their search changes. With nobody knowing how it works, sellers are left in a situation where they have to guess what might improve themselves in search, only to have it change once they find what works. EBay staff is giving the same best practice information as a year ago, yet the site has changed very much in this time.

Message 12 of 103
latest reply

Hard to tell if they meant that as a hard and fast statistic, or just a generalization that it changes a lot.  That's over 8 times a month, or twice a week, as you know.  Since you have pinpointed every 2-3 months, it seems that was a generalization/exaggeration just indicating it changes a lot.  And the 2-3 months indicates that change fluctuates.

You're right, if you had a clue as to what it favored at any given moment, sales would improve.

Message 13 of 103
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Hard to tell if they meant that as a hard and fast statistic, or just a generalization that it changes a lot.  That's over 8 times a month, or twice a week, as you know.  Since you have pinpointed every 2-3 months, it seems that was a generalization/exaggeration just indicating it changes a lot.  And the 2-3 months indicates that change fluctuates.

You're right, if you had a clue as to what it favored at any given moment, sales would improve.

Yeah, and not just this manager, but every one that I've spoken to regarding search has said "not even eBay staff is allowed to know the changes to search because it's considered insider information". 

It probably receives minor tweaks regularly, but more significant changes monthly/seasonally. But also have to factor in site changes that are added or removed from this. 

One thing that eBay confirmed to me that was changed was sponsored listings. They merge themselves in to search results now, instead of always filling up the same spots of the page. So sometimes when you search you may see more or less of them. 

But they still didn't fix the issue where sponsored listings is showing duplicates of the same items, which is one of the many small things contributing to overall reduced visibility.

Sellers would have many reasons to be happy if they were provided clear rules on what would be the best way to compete, and we could do a much better job at giving buyers the very best offerings based around those rules!  Increased health of eBay for sellers, as well as for buyers, which opens the door to increased sales on eBay as a whole!

Message 14 of 103
latest reply

You're an eBay member since 2017 and you've already made 3,585 posts?  Obviously, you work for eBay.  I've seen your posts and you're constantly berating those who's sales are down.

Message 15 of 103
latest reply