cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has eBay sunk to a new low?

Let me start by saying in 2010 I sold over $80,000 on eBay (I was a top rated power seller).  in 2017, I was down to a couple thousand dollars.  I still have a 100% rating.  I've been painfully aware of eBays growing anti-seller policies for years.  It appears they've finally found a way to chase me away completely.

EBay SNAD policy states that buyer's remorse is not grounds for a return. 

I recently had a buyer file a SNAD and in the comments confirm that he just didn't like the item.  The pictures and description are clear.  But, he wants me to pay the shipping both ways because he didn't look closely at the pictures.

Ebay policy also says that the seller can provide picture/documents showing the item is as described.

However, the Snad reply page only gives me the option of refunding in full and allow him to keep the item, or ask for a return and pay shipping both ways, or 'contact seller".  There is no way for me to escalate (even though I know I'll lose).

In the case of a buyer abusing the (broken) system, do I have any recourse?  I'm sure I know the answer.  But it seems like there has to have been at least one or two sellers that have been vindicated.  Any ideas?

Per eBay:  

Provide documentation that the item was properly described

If you or the buyer has asked us to step in and help with a return request because the item wasn't as described in the listing, and you can show that you properly described the item, the return request can be closed.

Examples of situations when documentation can help: 

• The buyer stated that the item was used, not new, but the listing clearly described it as used.

• You disclosed and correctly described a flaw in the item.

• The listing properly described the item, but the buyer didn't want the item after receiving it.

• The listing properly described the item, but the item didn't meet the buyer's expectations.

• The item had minor scratches, but you listed it as used.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

You have a No Returns policy.  Buyer is clearly misusing the MBG and even stating so (he just didn't like it)

Hands down, you should win this.  You'll have to call Customer Service.  Don't wait for any type of escalation.

Now the buyer might go to PayPal once denied by eBay.  Angered, who knows what they'll send back (on their dime) if they win there or what they'll say in order to obtain a win.  

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

I know there are injustices in the return system but I have found its just easier to accept returns.

I sell mostly small items, so return postage for me is only $3 or under.

With the very few returns I do get, paying for shipping is a foregone conclusion. People lie about the stupidest things just to be right. I dont waste my time fighting a return or paying for return postage because its not worth my time. 

So the question is- when does the time it takes to fight a return justify the cost in time to a seller?

For me, its almost never.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

I also did not have a return policy.  So the buyer badly damaged it, filed SNAD and returned it anyway.

Buyers are going to figure out a way to return something, so your no return policy is not going to prevent them from doing so.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

@yourantiqueguy, the false positive feedback 4th from the top may be the culprit... Surely there's a special place in purgatory for buyers who leave feedback like that. 

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Thanks, for the comments.  I'm convinced I'll lose, but I think I'm about done selling anyway.  On principle, I'm going to fight it.  Out of many thousands of sales, I've had very few returns.  The only one I've ever fought was about eight or nine years ago when an antique dealer bought something, put it in her shop window for four weeks, and when it didn't sell, she filed a SNAD.  Even though she admitted in her reply that she was only sending it back because it didn't sell, eBay found in her favor.  That's why I've never fought since. 

It really bothers me that eBay has removed the option of contesting a SNAD from the resolution center.  Even though the seller almost never wins, there needs to be an option.  It appears the only option is to file a buyer abuse complaint after eBay takes my money.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

? The one thanking the seller for good customer service?

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@dcintennessee Only sellers can leave “false positives” because only they are prevented from leaving negatives.  

Buyers who leave comments like this with green dots are actually helping the seller. They could have left a negative. I don’t know why you would reserve a special place in hell for buyers who could have negged the seller hard for misrepresentation but actually let the seller off the hook by leaving a positive nobody else will ever read?

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

@*eponymous* & @the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth, I meant the one that begins with a public thank you for the refund. So, it isn't exactly a false positive, but it reveals more details than necessary. 

Heck, maybe most people don't read feedback at all, and just look at the numbers. I was just saying that if this buyer saw that comment, they know there's a precedent for getting a refund.  Which we know they're likely to get one way or another anyhow. 

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Yes, I read it.

You condemned the buyer for leaving great feedback.

Unreal.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Oops I was looking at your feedback not the OPs. How embarrassing.

Still I don’t think the buyer knew the situation the feedback would put the seller in. I don’t think they did it to be hurtful.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

@yourantiqueguy

You can report the buyer for misuse of the return system.

You apparently already got the return and refunded?

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Yup, innocent buyer feedback can hurt.

I just again attempted to educate my wife in the art of proper feedback.

She left several that said,  "Sorry this is late, thanks", referring to the fact that she was late in leaving + feedback for the seller.

The ones, although not really harmful, that make me want to reach through the wires of the interweb to shake to buyer into consciousness, are those that post about the carrier being slow, and stating that is was not the sellers fault. Rate the seller, not the fact that the carrier sent it from Alabama to Florida via Omaha.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

A buyer who registered yesterday has MORE clout in a dispute on ebay than a 15-year seller with 100% feedback.
Maybe a blue can disspell that...

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth, agreed - that buyer probably had zero hurtful intent.  @*eponymous*, neither did I. My purgatory comment was intended more as a SMH...which is why I didn't say hell. I accept that it was unnecessary commentary. 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply