cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halo Fees - Promoted vs. Non-Promoted Listings

Just learned a little bit about what ebay calls Halo sales, and I'm both confused and displeased. Hopefully a little clarification can ease some of my concern.

Does anyone know if a non-promoted item will incur a halo fee after a buyer finds it through a promoted listing?

I only promote some item and raise the price to offset the insane fees associated with them. But if ebay applies these fees to non-promoted listings too, just because someone also clicked a promo, I'm just done.

I watched my sales drop over 90% prior to using PL. I felt forced into trying it and added some promoted listing just to find that they apply the fee to sale price, shipping costs AND taxes. My fees went from about 7% to a bit over 30% (with a promo rate of 10%).

Once again my sales have dropped to about one item a month with the introduction of PL advanced with pay per click and top spot bidding. I used to sell these same items, and made maybe four sales per week prior to PL.

Oh yeah, and the number of charge backs we receive has about $3000 locked up at all times. Ebay is becoming scam central - between fraudulent buyers and their own gouging tactics.

Bit of a rant, yes, but like I said, I'm close to quitting after 15 years of once successful selling on here.

**(I mistakenly posted this to the Cafe forum, didn't know how to move it - sorry if you are seeing this twice)**

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

slippinjimmy_0-1700518314626.png

I read that as the halo effect only applies to other listings which are also promoted and the rate charged is the rate applied to that listing not the PL listing that was originally clicked on.

eg: buyer click on a PL link for an item at 10%, buyer purchases a different PL listing at 5%, you get charged 5%

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I'm hoping that's the case. From what you posted it seems like it is, for now at least.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

IF a buyer finds an item through an item you are promoting, the non promoted item will be charged the SAME promotion fee if they buy it. 

Buyer is looking for widgets, and clicks your listing that is promoted at 10%. They then click your store link and find some comic books they want. They buy the comic books and you are charged the extra 10% promo that you used on the widget, that they found your comic books through. 

If you are promoting at all, be prepared to pay promotion fees on items you are NOT promoting.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

IF a buyer finds an item through an item you are promoting, the non promoted item will be charged the SAME promotion fee if they buy it. 

Buyer is looking for widgets, and clicks your listing that is promoted at 10%. They then click your store link and find some comic books they want. They buy the comic books and you are charged the extra 10% promo that you used on the widget, that they found your comic books through. 

If you are promoting at all, be prepared to pay promotion fees on items you are NOT promoting.

Read my previous post, PL fees only apply if the secondary listing is also promoted.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

This is why I'm confused. 

I see what eBay wrote in their update, but are people experiencing these fees on non promoted items? Anyone have this actually happen yet?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I have sold items i was not promoting and was not charged for the ad fee.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@id.printers 

Maybe this will help ... this is an announcement from when eBay started charging Halo fees, effective Mar 30, 2023. There are a lot of information and FAQs there, I copied one that seems most relevant to your question.

https://www.ebayads.com/2023/02/15/seller-announcement-promoted-listings-standard-fees-are-changing/

lacemaker3_0-1700522066608.png

Message 8 of 8
latest reply