cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got tricked into selling to china. Bad outcome!

I posted a GoPro camera and accessories for sale on eBay, I never sell outside the USA but a person contacted me through eBay messaging and asked me If I could sell to China as he lives there. I accepted and changed the post so he could click buy. He bought the camera and asked me to get a shipping label from USPS instead of eBay International. So I did and sent the package, as soon as it arrived in China, the tracking stopped and he claimed no received item to eBay. Now eBay doesn't insure through USPS; he got refounded, and I lost the camera and paid. Now the buyer closed his eBay account after receiving his funds, this is clear evidence that he knew China's mail would not track the package anymore and that he could claim a non-received item.  I was tricked and I lost. eBay wake up, Chinese people are taking advantage of this issue with their mail system.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Never change the terms of a sale after the purchase has been made.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@17051958 

Sorry for your situation. Costly lesson.  Next time just say no.  Protect yourself as scammers are everywhere.  

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

The other side of the coin in selling to China…

Years ago I sold a beautiful beaded coral gold antique necklace to China for $1,800.

I received their address 100% in Chinese characters.

Can’t write ✍️ Chinese characters…and called EBay + asked what to do!

I was told to cut out their exact Chinese address and paste it on my shipping box as it reads which I did.  Brought it to the post office and without a problem or thought they took my package with the Chinese address as normal.  

I mailed it insured and it was received by the buyer, a perfectly ok transaction!

If I recall they even left me positive feedback…

But those early days are different from now and now I don’t ship internationally!

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@17051958 wrote:

I was tricked and I lost. eBay wake up, Chinese people are taking advantage of this issue with their mail system.

Ebay wake up? Sorry for being harsh, but no, you as the seller need to wake up! You fell for a common scam. 

Hopefully, the price you paid for the education will prevent making the same one in the future.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

just blows my mind! Surprised the O.P. didn't also send gift cards. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Ok you are right, but eBay should already know about these scams and advise sellers.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I just hope that my post helps future sellers not to sell to China. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Lesson Learned.  Lesson Learned........... So Sorry.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Why is it we always see these types of posts AFTER the fact. Some bells should have gone off when you saw a deviation from the norm. That would have been the time to come to this forum where 99% of the responders would have screamed SCAM!!!

Chinese people are NOT taking advantage of the mail system they are taking advantage of sellers who don't recognize scam's when they see them. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

There is nothing wrong with selling to China from a business perspective and with the EIS program you have better seller protections with international sales than you do with domestic ones. I sold very little internationally prior to EIS but pretty much sell worldwide now with the introduction of the EIS program. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@17051958 wrote:

The teaching point here is not whether one should sell to China. This same scenario could have happened in any number of transactions, to any number of destinations. Fraud knows no boundaries.

The learning curve at eBay can be steep, and it behooves a seller to weigh the potential outcomes of his choices. Sometimes a seller cannot accommodate a buyer request because of increased risk. You altered your listing plan—once by allowing international sales, and again by using a carrier and class of mail without adequate tracking to the destination. Apparently did not get shipping insurance, either.

Sorry, you walked right into this one.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

The EIS program was designed to minimize seller risk and effort. You chose to walk right into disaster instead of following the easy way.

No doubt if was fear of not making the sale which made you so helpful.

None of us knows what countries do not offer end to end tracking other than those who get off on learning rules and regulations. That ain't me.

For many years I would not export, because it was more work and more risk, and often cost me money. You paid an extra Ebay International Fee because you used USPS instead of EIS.

Your buyer's interests are not necessarily your interests, even when he is not a crook.

My way or the highway is probably a bit harsh, but often it is the only safe and acceptable rule for selling online.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@17051958 wrote:

I've shipped to buyers in China, but they used freight forwarders and never had any problems.

I also don't list anything that attracts scammers.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@17051958 wrote:

I've shipped to buyers in China, but they used freight forwarders and never had any problems.

I also don't list anything that attracts scammers.

I have also shipped items through freight forwarders to multiple locations and never had any issues although several buyers tried. As for attracting scammers with some of the posts I have seen on this forum lately I am trying to figure out what doesn't attract scammers these days. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply