cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting charged $.35 on each listing all of a sudden? Only 60 items listed

I just had four bidders who won items yesterday email saying they can't pay, please cancel the item.

I cancel the items, each select 'buyer asked to cancel' and 'relist'  in that screen and I get a warning that the relist failed?

I then go to manually relist the item and realize that the last four items that relisted automatically this morning all got charged $.35 each, and when I went to relist the four cancelled items, or tried to list them as new listings, they failed to relist.

I thought we had 250 free listings here, This is on one of my personal accounts, not one of my work accounts.

That account has 60 items listed, half of which have relisted several times, but even if I count the relists, I'm not at 250. Besides, they never hit me with any fees in the past for relists, even when I had over 120 items listed and 80 or so being relisted each week.

Sales have been terrible, one or two sales a month at best lately, if they're going to start charging for every listing its not worth listing here. There's just not enough traffic and not enough buyers lately.

A year ago the same account was doing $3k/mo, now I'm lucky to sell $50/mo.
The 5 accounts I handle at work have been the same way. No buyers, no watchers, and about half the items that do sell are to bidders who don't pay.

Just on my personal account I've had 20 no pay bidders this year alone.

About half the NPB are foreign bidders, who likely didn't realize how much eBay was going to gouge them through the Global Shipping system.

(A $20 item with $4.50 First class shipping was going to cost the buyer an additional $37 in fees and shipping through the GSP according to the buyer. I can't blame him but don't they see this before they bid?)

I've had other buyers ask if I could ship direct because the fees through the GSP were more than the item was worth itself. Most requests come from Japan, the UK, and Canada.

None of which though explains the sudden listing fees? I thought listing fees were done away with a long time ago and we had 250 free items per month?  (The one relisting that did go through and which accrued the $.35 fee was listing number 111 for the month if you count relisted items from the past three weeks. )

I turned off all automatic relisting till this gets sorted out. If not, there will be no more relisting. There's just not enough sales here lately.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Check and see what category they are in: the shift recently may be the cause of this.

Some free stuff in an old category may not be free now.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

35 cents is the insertion fee if you don't have a store, but there is also a 35-cent  fee for adding "Gallery plus" in categories where it's not free. So first, be sure that it's an insertion fee and not for the Gallery listing upgrade.

The two most likely causes for an insertion fee are (1) you've used up your 250 free insertions for the month, through new listings, relists, and rollovers of fixed price listings; or (2) you listed in two categories.

It would have been helpful if you had posted with the account that you're asking about.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

All were under vintage cycling parts. (Parts for a 1940's bicycle)

I show 169 items remaining under my 250 free listings?

Tried listing a few new items, various categories, all showed $ .35 fees all of a sudden.

One that I tried to list even with the fee refused to go through each time returning to the same screen.

The categories were fishing reels, boat accessories, cycling,  and transportation collectibles, (bicycle headbadge). I saved them and did not put the listings up.

Sales have not been very good here lately, if they start charging fees for every listing and relisting, its not worth it for the few sales I get here each week lately.

Two items that relisted this morning, which were free to list 7 days ago have relisted automatically at $ .35 each, one under Cycling, Vintage bicycle parts, the other under Transportation collectibles, vintage bicycle parts. 

I also tried to list a pair of vintage truck tail lights and it was going to charge me a fee there too. I just sold two one year older pair, same category two weeks ago that never accrued any fees after relisting 7 times since March before they sold.

I also tried to list some electronic parts and that category was also showing me a $ .35 fee.

Even if I count relisted items on top of listed items I'm not even close to the 250 total I've always had.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

If someone bids on my stuff and wins it should be paid. I do not cancel if they say they can't pay for it.

I will wait 7-9 days and then cancel "buyer did not pay". Maybe its because you cancel the sale too soon in the wrong category. 

Don't get charged to repost it as far as I know. Some others on this platform might have suggestions also as to why charges are coming up.

I check my charges on my iphone rather than my PC because I can see my charges much better on my iphone app almost immediately. I use my PC and iphone together to see if charges are being posted.

I found out I got charged .01 cent by eBay after canceling an auction with a .10 cent bid on it. 

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Did you know that if you go to Seller Hub, Payments and All Transactions-it will tell you EXACTLY what the thirty five cents is for?  Then you will know and won't wonder anymore.

Just because you had free listings doesn't mean you still have free listings.  it is the 24th of the month-you may have used them all up.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Pull up a draft and see what is now checked that was not before: you may have gallery as a default causing this problem...

With the new Lister such can be a problem because the tab is closed it does not show such... You may need to go through each tab to see if any setting are such that can be charged on..

With all doing such it is most likely some thing....

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

In Payments its called a Listing Fee.....$.35, it showed up when each item auto-relisted. I cancelled all auto-relists at that point, then when several buyers from Canada won items then emailed saying they 'I can't pay for this', sorry". I did as I always have, gone to the awaiting payment list, clicked on cancel item, under reason I clicked the only option, "Buyer requested to cancel". It said I will get my FVF refund and I had ciicked 'relist' so it tried to relist but failed. It did that on all four items, all four were under different categories. Three of the buyers were in Canada, one in the U.S.

When I went back to manually relist each item it showed the $ .35 listing fee.

No options are checked. I tried changing categories, I tried a new listing, but it still shows the fee to list.

I thought at first maybe somehow they were counting relistings as part of the free 250 listings but even that doesn't get me to 250 for the month. Even if you count every relist, I'm only at 211, but according to the count in 'eBay Promotions for May I have 169 free listings remaining.

I just checked the accounts at work, they too all got hit with relisting fees for nearly every auto relist.

I tried to list a few hand tools and they too show a fee.
The two items that relisted and got charged the fee were just listed last week, with the new listing tool and there were no fees. I'd wouldn't have listed them if any fees had showed.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

I canceled the sale after I saw how much the GSP was trying to charge them for a 12oz package to Canada.
I wouldn't pay that I don't expect anyone else to either.  The item was priced fair at $25 with shipping, maybe a bit more with shipping to Canada but not nearly triple the price of the item.

I'm seriously considering dropping the GSP and only shipping to Canada and Mexico, since I added the GSP  I haven't sold a thing overseas.

All were low feedback, fairly new members, none appeared to have a history of not paying.

One I got the feeling may have been a kid bidding on dad's account, its not worth the wait to relist when I know they're not going to pay. I blocked the one, didn't bother with the others yet. 

I had two last month the same way, they won items, then one emailed saying they didn't realize how high the shipping was, the other one wanted to know if they could save the shipping if they picked up the item in person, I said no problem, thinking maybe they had a relative in the area here, but as it turned out they apparently had no idea how far away Winnipeg is from NJ were thinking about just 'hopping across the border to pick it up'.  That one was a seller with over 600 positive feedbacks and a member since '02. Not the typical sport bidder.

The problem isn't the non paying bidder, its the sudden charging of fees where they say there shouldn't be any and hasn't been any in the recent past.

The free listings is what brought me back to listing after a long time away. If that's gone now, so am I.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@reelworks wrote:

In Payments its called a Listing Fee.....$.35, it showed up when each item auto-relisted. I cancelled all auto-relists at that point, then when several buyers from Canada won items then emailed saying they 'I can't pay for this', sorry". I did as I always have, gone to the awaiting payment list, clicked on cancel item, under reason I clicked the only option, "Buyer requested to cancel". It said I will get my FVF refund and I had ciicked 'relist' so it tried to relist but failed. It did that on all four items, all four were under different categories. Three of the buyers were in Canada, one in the U.S.

When I went back to manually relist each item it showed the $ .35 listing fee.

No options are checked. I tried changing categories, I tried a new listing, but it still shows the fee to list.

I thought at first maybe somehow they were counting relistings as part of the free 250 listings but even that doesn't get me to 250 for the month. Even if you count every relist, I'm only at 211, but according to the count in 'eBay Promotions for May I have 169 free listings remaining.

I just checked the accounts at work, they too all got hit with relisting fees for nearly every auto relist.

I tried to list a few hand tools and they too show a fee.
The two items that relisted and got charged the fee were just listed last week, with the new listing tool and there were no fees. I'd wouldn't have listed them if any fees had showed.

Ok sounds like you reached your free listing  limit:

Did you have an multiple listing, one were you have a bunch of the same items one can purchase 1 or more at a time???

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Same thing here, I've got 79 items listed, 12 that auto relisted last night all got hit with $ .35 relisting fees, two in the same category, the others all in different categories.

No store, just a personal account which has always had 250 free listings per month. Been doing the same thing for nearly a year now with no fees.

Changing categories don't matter either.
I tried to list a few new items too, in various categories, and each one is trying to charge me the listing fee.

I show 159 items remaining under "Promotions" for this month.

I tried to contact eBay but got a "Server down" warning.

I killed all automatic relisting till this is fixed.

Not enough sales here lately to deal with all this.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

It sounds like there is a discrepancy somewhere. I suggest you get ahold of customer service thru eBay’s Facebook for business portal. These reps are well-trained with authority to make things happen, correct mistakes, give explanations. Send them a brief private message explaining your concerns. 

But if indeed the insertion fees are going to stand, the solution is to roll the added cost into your price.

By the way, the penny that you were charged when canceling your auction with the ten cent bid was a penalty cost. To discourage sellers from canceling auctions with bids and disappointing buyers, eBay may charge the seller a Final Value fee on the amount of the current high bid. You can read more about it at the link below.

“….you may end the listing by cancelling all bids. You may be charged a final value fee based on the amount of the highest bid, or you may sell the item to the highest bidder.”

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/cancelling-listing?id=4146

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@reelworks

Summer arrived in Canada this weekend.

Actually May TwoFour or Victoria Day is traditionally the first day of Canadian summer.

Which may be why you are seeing Canadian sales.

Do you have shipping set up to automatically calculate shipping to Canada?

We Canadians are told before purchase how much we will pay with the Global Shipping Program.

The shipping is a combination of the seller's shipping charge  to ErlangerKY, Canadian duty, Canadian sales taxes, and a ~$5 GSP service fee.

Without GSP, we would pay the seller's charge  to Canada, Canadian duty, Canadian sales taxes, and a ~$9.95 Canada Post service fee. 

I will wait 7-9 days and then cancel "buyer did not pay".

EBay will do that for you automatically now after four days.

This is two to four days faster than manual cancellation and still gives the deadbeat a Strike.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

It is odd.  Do you have gallery plus checked on any of those auctions?  That is a .35 charge.  I had an item which kept renewing and charging me that .35 until I checked to see what it was but otherwise it does look like somehow you hit your limit.

ebay selling fees   This might help you to see what is happening.

Also check on your seller's hub on the promotional offers section.  It will show how many free listing you have left.  I'm not sure if that's the same if you have a store, but if you don't have a store you can see it there.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

As for your GSP price, eBay also offers eBay Standard International Shipping.  May take a little longer but a big difference in price if you can use it.  

If your item value is under $100 and depending on weight it could be as low as $12.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply