cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign Buyers Now Circumventing No International Shipping Blocks

I do not do international shipping, personal preference. I have it stated clearly on my listings...USA Sales Only, No International Shipping, PayPal Payment Blocks in place for Foreign Currency Transactions. 

I have my ebay blocks set.  I have my PayPal blocks set.....No transactions from Non US addresses, No Foreign Currency Transactions, primary currency set at USD.

And they can still circumvent all that and bid on your listings.  The non US address is easily bypassed by the buyer signing up with a reshipper forwarding co. based in the US. However the currency block would always stop a transaction.  I found out not anymore. A reshipper a Turkish buyer had actually offers a service to their account holders to not only put the shippers US address on ebay, PayPal, but also to pay for the buyer using their USD credit account.  I wasn't happy about this buyer clearly knowing I didn't ship international and deliberately jumping through hoops to do it. Now I'm stuck having to ship it out. $90 radio.  As long as there is a valid US address ebay will give me a defect if I cancel out.  Yes ebay invalidates buyer protection if this is forwarded bythe reshipper.  But PayPal totally cancels out Seller Protection if an item is reshipped. Its on their TOS. They even warn you not to have a buyer  reship. Problem is, I only know after the fact, when the items been bought. Catch 22 situation. If I'm stuck with a scammer he'll do a PayPal charge back with his reshippers USD credit account.  I realize many sellers do business with reshippers with no problems. I hope for the same.

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

emerald lets see get a defect or loose a grand? They can defect me until the cows come home and I'm still not going to take the grand hit...

Message 31 of 78
latest reply

People need to understand they are dealing with both ebay AND PayPal. In this situation ebay has you covered and PayPal hangs you out to dry.
Message 32 of 78
latest reply

In your original post you mentioned that you had "PayPal Payment Blocks in place for Foreign Currency Transactions."  What blocks do you have? Are you just referring to a block refusing foreign currencies? Or do you also have all non US Paypal accounts blocked?

If it is just the first block, that doesn't prevent anyone from buying or paying for your item.  All ebay transactions have to be paid in the currency that the seller listed in so buyers pay in their own currency, PP changes the currency to $US and the seller is payed in US.  The second block...blocking all non US Paypal accounts will block them from paying. 

I don't really understand the problem with selling to someone using a reshipper so I'm encouraging you to use it but that should block foreign buyers unless it is the actual reshipper who is buying from you. 

Message 33 of 78
latest reply

They bypass the address block using the reshippers US address, they bypass the currency block using the reshipper to pay for them on their (reshippers) USD credit account. Buyer obviously pays them a fee for that "service".  Done explaining it for the fifth time. Read the entire thread.

Message 34 of 78
latest reply

wrote:
They bypass the address block using the reshippers US address, they bypass the currency block using the reshipper to pay for them on their (reshippers) USD credit account. Buyer obviously pays them a fee for that "service".

Yes you mentioned that earlier. Are you saying that you DO have all non US paypal accounts blocked in your paypal preferences?

Message 35 of 78
latest reply

Absolutely, US accounts only.  Also no non US currency transactions. 

Message 36 of 78
latest reply

One of the other warnings I picked up on was I ship international using ebays GSP and the international folks are going around it and using a reshipper instead.... Makes me wonder what else the rock is cookin...

Message 37 of 78
latest reply

Ok thanks for answering.  It is odd though...the only time I have heard of anything like what you describe is when it is the actual reshipper buying from the seller...in that case you would have no idea who the buyer was. This obviously sounds like a different situation. 

Out of curiousity..how do you know that is how the buyer was able to pay?

Message 38 of 78
latest reply

wrote:

One of the other warnings I picked up on was I ship international using ebays GSP and the international folks are going around it and using a reshipper instead.... Makes me wonder what else the rock is cookin...

In some ways that would be better for you.  If the item is snad because you made a mistake you would be responsible to pay for the return from the buyer's country if you used the gsp. If they used a reshipper you would only be responsible to pay for shipping from the reshipper's location.

Message 39 of 78
latest reply

A foreign buyer using a reshipper will almost always have an address like this.....

John Smith
325 Main st Ste 35780246
Anytown USA 22215

The dead giveaway is the long bogus Ste number. That is actually their account number with the reshipper.  It will be the same on ebay and PayPal.  

Message 40 of 78
latest reply

wrote:

emerald lets see get a defect or loose a grand? They can defect me until the cows come home and I'm still not going to take the grand hit...

Same here.  I am now very low volume.  And in order to compete with the $99 diamond drop shippers who are selling drilll bits, my prices are now rock bottom. 

One or two losses in my case would be unrecoverable.

So either I lose thousands of  dollars and have to close up shop or take the defects and ebay closes it for me.

At least with the latter I will still have my merchandise which I can sell somewhere else.

Message 41 of 78
latest reply

wrote:

Absolutely, US accounts only.  Also no non US currency transactions. 

As I said, you can't get paid in any other currency other than the listing currency on ebay so that block is irrelevant.  I have never blocked any currency and have only ever been paid in US or Canadian dollars..depending on which site the listing was on.

Message 42 of 78
latest reply

You can also Google the address and it will usually be some warehouse industrial park that the reshipper operates out of. You'll probably also get the name of the actual company. 

When looking at the payment details on your PayPal transactions the PayPal fee is higher on foreign currency transactions, 4.3%?, than on US currency transactions, 3.3%?.

Message 43 of 78
latest reply

pj I don't make mistakes and any SNAD dispute basically tells me whatever I shipped out is not going to be what I get back there are no errors allowed in my operation...

Message 44 of 78
latest reply

wrote:

You can also Google the address and it will usually be some warehouse industrial park that the reshipper operates out of. You'll probably also get the name of the actual company. 

When looking at the payment details on your PayPal transactions the PayPal fee is higher on foreign currency transactions, 4.3%?, than on US currency transactions, 3.3%?.

But you said they were using the forwarding services US account or credit card. So the processing fee would only be 2.9% if that was the case. Now you are saying the fee is the international rate? So which is it? 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 45 of 78
latest reply