cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Pete's Sake! Can't Use The Word "Cookie" In Item Description When Listing A Cookie Jar!?

I'm trying to list a cookie jar and keep getting the following error message :

It looks like there's a problem with this listing.

• Item description - Your listing cannot contain javascript (".cookie", "cookie(", "replace(", IFRAME, META, or includes), cookies or base href.

I'm listing an actual COOKIE JAR!

I was able to leave this non-allowable word in the title, but had to remove it from the entire description.

Sheesh!

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

For Pete's Sake! Can't Use The Word "Cookie" In Item Description When Listing A Cookie Jar!?

That is simply lazy coding.  Reminds me of Little Bobby Tables from xkcd...

exploits_of_a_mom

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@timemachine777wrote:

It thinks it's reading Javascript.

That's what I was thinking too.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

I tried to list an ivory color dress some years ago, and they kicked it off for IVORY. But.... ivory is a color that was available in the eBay drop down choice of colors at that time. 

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

@newnewnewmannwrote:

@timemachine777wrote:

It thinks it's reading Javascript.

That's what I was thinking too.

When I originally read the OP's message, I missed the ".cookie" Dot. I just scanned right past it.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

A bit different, but just Friday I got a VeRO for selling a Mercedes key chain I got from a dealer (I have had 4 SLKs but do not need all the chains). $5 and sold it months back. They removed a LONG GONE item, no wonder I could not figure out what they were talking about.

Then I could not figure out why. They said Mercedes complained but I could be come an authorized dealer. Seriously! I had a couple DIFFERENT key chains, REAL not FAKE product (as seen all over if you look it up). I said to the gal for goodness sake, there is a MERCEDES category under Collectibles Automotive, and I have sole parts I did not need like an older air scarf that did not fit in my current model car. Maybe they better close eBay motors! 

It was too late to call Mercedes HQ, but I will be doing so. They have gotten severall hunderd thousand out of my partner and I for vehicles, and I cannot sell a key chain for $5 that was gifted to us from the dealership without they coming at me? This seriously might make it be our LAST Mercedes! Lots of other choices in that price range. 

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

All in all, I think it is safe to say the pointy haired ones here do not follow the advice of...either Ben Franklin, the Apostle Paul, or Epicurus, can't recall exactly, "In all your undertakings, do not settle for a halfarsed job.  Instead, always endeavour to use both cheeks."

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

"AI is supposed to stand for artificial intelligence. On eBay it stands for artificial idiocy."

Are you sure it doesn't mean 'actual idiocy'? Or perhaps, 'accumulated idiocy'?

(just a thought - your mileage may vary)
Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

I have gotten around this in the past by spelling the word, "cooky" instead of "cookie".

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@catzrule7

As you have marked, @lintbrush*  has correctly identified the issue. It is the leading dot in front of the word "cookie" that triggers eBay's filter. The word "document.cookie" is a cookie setting/reading script that could be malicious in a listing.  Unfortunately, it can also be written as "document.  cookie", so eBay looks for that leading dot.

There are many of these very strange word combinations that eBay bans due to their functionality within javascript or html. eBay's filter has changed very little in the past 10 years, so this old online tool will still find most of those mysterious bits of code and report how to repair them to make them pass eBay's filter

http://www.isdntek.com/demo/auctiontester.htm

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@gracieallen01wrote:
"AI is supposed to stand for artificial intelligence. On eBay it stands for artificial idiocy."

Are you sure it doesn't mean 'actual idiocy'? Or perhaps, 'accumulated idiocy'?

(just a thought - your mileage may vary)

AI = **bleep** Inverted

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

I think they dreamed up a new name as well:  Augmented reality or some such.  ebay can't even get the AI to play nice.  LOL....  Reality on thie website will be whatever they think will sell stuff.  For years we have been presented with items in which we have no interest.   Took a long time to get rid of the "suggestions" for plastic sex dolls once I looked at the search for "American Girl (brand name) dolls.   If nothing else, their search results are entertaining, unless of course you are a seller.   

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

My only problem with 'augmented reality' is just what the heck are they using for the 'reality model', to then augment? (Whose/what 'reality'?)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 27 of 28
latest reply

@partial*eclipsewrote:

There are thousands of listings for cookie jars.  Double-check the spacing around your punctuation.  Make sure that each period has a space after it and no space before it. Likewise, around parentheses you want a space before open paren and after close.

Better yet, always double space after a period.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply