cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fees!!!

I have recently started ebay. Is anyone else concerned on how much ebay is gouging with fees?? I feel like I'm not really making any money! Just paying ebay!

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Fees!!!

Thank you, I appreciate a  kind response, I will try different approach, Wow! I can't believe how many attacks, from other people! I'm new at this! I'm on medical leave and trying to make a little extra income! 

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

Yes, @tomyrs_5 

People should be a little kinder stating their* opinions.

Leave It To Me
Message 17 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

It probably would help if you had a nice white picture taking area. (Just for your listings in general)

And it may also help if you combined items that are similar.

Oh and BTW I like selling stuff around the house, but it might be better to do so on FB marketplace because of shipping, fees etc.

Its not worth it when you get 5$ + having to pay 20% in fees and taxes and then having to ship the items and list them.

@tomyrs_5 

Leave It To Me
Message 19 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

@aeparts1 wrote:

If you think eBay fees are bad, just wait until you discover that you have to give a minimum of 25% of your net profit to the Federal government.

Ummm....no.

It all depends on your filing status, total deductions, tax credits and income level as a whole.  My husband and I file jointly. He's retired, my income comes from Ebay and a few other gigs. We're in the 10% tax bracket. After standard deductions, business deductions and tax credits we got a refund.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 20 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

I am not taking random stuff from around my house!  I recently started on eBay, and I'm sorry that at first I took the advice of ebay and started items to cheap! I'm learning as so go. 

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

Not sure I understand your post.  The FVF (usually in most categories about 12.9%) is calculated on the item price, the shipping cost and the state sales tax, if any.

If I sell a sewing machine for $75 plus $30 shipping plus 8% state sales tax, my FVF will be 12.9% of that total.

If I sell a pearl necklace for $700 plus $20 shipping plus 9% state sales tax, my FVF will be 12.9% of that total.

Reminder:  The BUYER pays the sales tax and shipping, not the seller.  

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

I don't see a single attack on this thread.

I see people giving good, solid information and advice.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 23 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

@coolections wrote:

Yes 20% if you include the actual total. Don't forget you get charged shipping and state tax above the 12.9%. It is the total sale which comes out to around 20%, don't mislead people, tell the truth.

The "actual total" , by which you apparently mean FVF a a percentage of selling price, will of course seem high if the shipping cost is high relative to the selling price.   But it's far less than 20% in many cases such as the OP's sun glasses which sold for $200 with $5 shipping.  If those sold to a buyer in a state with a sales tax rate of 6%, then the total sale would be $200 + $5 + $12 = $217, the FVF would be $217 x 12.9 + $ .30 = $28.29. And $28.29/$217 = 13.0%.

At the other extreme, an item that sold for $10 with $10 shipping would have a FVF of $20 x .129 + $.30 = $2.88, which is 28.8% of the selling price.

In other words, a seller has to be mindful of the effect of shipping cost on their total operating expenses.

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

I did just spend a few minutes looking over your category....obviously shipping costs are going to be higher than some other categories as well as your packaging costs.....seems like a lot of sellers take the "bad with the good".....meaning they sell some 'typical' plates, cups etc.....as well as some vintage and/or collectible plates with a higher demand and sale prices to even things out.....

as a strategy, it is a good idea as a seller to have some of those "loss leaders" to maintain your good standing with ebay and keep your sales units "up"

now, if you're just cleaning out the garage, you have to have the mindset that 5 bucks profit is better than "0" and you don't mind a little extra work packing and stuff.....

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

I suspect you are in the minority of sellers on eBay. Most probably have to pay a decent amount of their net profit to the Federal government.

You don't fall in to the category of the rich that need to pay their fair share. I wish I didn't fit that category.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 26 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

Same (:

I have to pay 23% on my profit to the government.

Leave It To Me
Message 27 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

@aeparts1 wrote:

I suspect you are in the minority of sellers on eBay. Most probably have to pay a decent amount of their net profit to the Federal government.

You don't fall in to the category of the rich that need to pay their fair share. I wish I didn't fit that category.

My hubby paid his fair share for 53+ years, as did I for the 20 years I had a public job.  That little burn just bounced right off.

Message 28 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

The FVF is in fact as you describe it......a Final Value Fee......of a total sale....

I think the proper term would be "what is the "net profit" percentage of an item

using your example:

If I sell a sewing machine for $75 plus $30 shipping plus 8% state sales tax, my FVF will be 12.9% of that total.

Item:  $75.00

Ship:  $30.00

Tax:    $8.40

Total Sale: $113.40

FVF:   $14.63

Fee     $0.30

Net:    $98.47

The Net Selling Costs on my Item would be 19.5 % in relation to the 75.00

so, with the pass-through amounts of shipping and sales tax it costs me $14.63 to sell a $75.00 item

without those 2 add-ons, (if at a flea market or garage sale there was no shipping or sales tax) it would have cost 9.67 to sell instead of 14.63....(12.9%)

Message 29 of 50
latest reply

Fees!!!

I apologize if my comment came across as a "burn", that was not my intention.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 30 of 50
latest reply