cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback is flawed

I sold 2 items recently but cancelled both because buyer was located in Puerto Rico.  The cost to send was more than 3x the listed cost to ship as the add was flat rate shipping in the USA.  
i did immediately contact the buyer when i cancelled and i also refunded him out of my pocket as funds were processing.  

when he responded the items were already listed.  He offered to still buy 1 item and pay shipping.  I didnt proceed with it because there were bids by the time i realized it so i just left it at that.  

next thing you know he gives negative feedback and ebay wont do anything even though he lied in the feedback.  

he left spiteful feedback only because he could.    he got his money back  so he shouldnt have done anything, he know the extenuating circumstances.  

23 yrs on ebay and the guy gets to leave feedback when it wasnt a legit purchase.  

im pretty angry my perfect score drops 3% instantly over this guy acting like a child. 

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Feedback is flawed

@gentlejax 

I dont ship outside the continental USA”

These two images, from two different listings, say something different. The second image is a PR zip code  IMG_7768.jpeg

IMG_7767.jpeg

Make the changes now so you don’t have the same thing happen again. 
If you cancel a paid item, you get a defect. Too many defects and eBay adds 6% to your fees. Instead of 13%, it goes to 20%+. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 31 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

Response to (totally geographically incorrect) feedback......WOW, just WOW.

I usually say this to buyer's, but ''Thanks for posting''

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 32 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

I can agree it was my mistake not thinking about P.R.  but ive had other people make mistakes and as long as I got my money back then it was ok.   I know its part of US territory but its not the same to ship to somewhere like New York.  I dont use Postal cause they suck .  the rate I had listed was at one time $15 flat rate.  it may have been changed to free at some point with the idea it was all about the same $20 or so in the USA...P.R. is not the same.  I calculated it.  I boxed it up and took the time to get exact.   Had the items not had bids and the buyer kept in contact with me I possibly would have went a different direction.  but it had bids and neither of us continued with the dialogue.

after our original conversation the buyer didnt even want item #2 but he didnt mind leaving feedback on it.

used to be as long as people got their money back they were ok.  thats how it once was . not anymore.

Message 33 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

never said I was using USPS.  I never ship USPS 

so your point is invalid.

Message 34 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

and again..thats with USPS > I dont use USPS ..I hate USPS.. they are the worst

Message 35 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

if I used POSTAL but  I dont.  Postal has ripped me off more than once.

Message 36 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

Puerto Rico is u.s.a  so yes buyer has every right to leave   bad feed back and remember  hawaii is usa  as well and  sending that way is high as well  live and  learn  i would of guess 23 yr as a seller u would kno  you must set up that you dont ship to those u.s.a  places   good  luck 

Message 37 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

Because the buyer was able to pay for these items, it made me think that wasn’t the issue here. 

@dryophelia 

I truly don't know. Perhaps I was confused  due to the statement in the OP: 

The cost to send was more than 3x the listed cost to ship as the add was flat rate shipping in the USA.  

Wouldn't a flat rate box be the same charge?  That made me think of the "older" issue where some users were charged the "international fee" and some were not for accepting payments from Puerto Rico.  It was determined at the time that the difference was how the buyer registered.  

If the cost were the same, why the 3X as much statement?  The OP saw the address, but don't know if they will remember if the address had any US zipcode designation.  Maybe the buyer paid with a US payment 
instrument,,,,American Express?  LOL.   

Message 38 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

If the cost were the same, why the 3X as much statement?  

Nevermind.  OP was using UPS? 

Me:   Real old lady past her bedtime...LOL> 

Message 39 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

Message 40 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

@ittybitnot wrote:

Do you have examples of this @ittybitnot 

@wastingtime101 I don't have a link at the moment.  However, after I posted here about the issue today, I was reviewing something in the Authenticity Guarantee policies. It was specifically mentioned that items could not be sent to PR if the buyer had registered Puerto Rico as a country.  

The rest is just from "memory" from reading the forums here or in one of the other ecommerce groups that I belong.  For some reason, I have an awful time trying to research old threads here.  I truly suck at it. 

Hey @ittybitnot . Truncated your post for brevity.

I agree there are definite issues when a buyer enters PR in the country field, as mentioned in my post above. Authenticity program has issues with that address set up, as does eBay Standard Envelope. Those are not the only 2 problematic areas.

So we agree on that front - entering PR as country causes issues.

However, in your first post above you said entering PR in country field instead of state field screws up the shipping rates. That is something I haven't seen before. Not from firsthand experience, nor from others on this forum. So if you run into an example at any point in the future, please tag me in to the discussion. Thanks!

Message 41 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

@gentlejax 

"if I used POSTAL but  I dont.  Postal has ripped me off more than once."

Really?

Then why do TWO of your FOUR listings show shipping will be by USPS?

Message 42 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

And all this over a $26 item lol. Have fun looking at those negs for the next 12 months. They ain't going nowhere. 

Message 43 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

You really put a lot of thought and effort into taking great pics of your products op. Kudos 

Message 44 of 59
latest reply

Feedback is flawed

@gentlejax wrote:

and again..thats with USPS > I dont use USPS ..I hate USPS.. they are the worst

USPS ships thousands of packages for me every year cheap and quick without any problems.

I love the USPS. They are the best.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 45 of 59
latest reply