cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback advice (kind of wordy)

I've had this account for around 4 years that I've only used for buying the odd item, and I only started selling in the last month. I collect buttons, so I'm basically just recouping my button jar spends by selling the ones I don't want to keep. It's gone great so far because I lucked out and got 1 customer who's bought almost everything I listed (minus a couple of modern buttons). 

The thing is that this woman, who I absolutely appreciate for her 29 purchases, has not left even 1 feedback. Actually, now that I think about it, she never responded to any of my communications about my combining shipping and refunding her excess shipping fees either, but she buys, she pays, and she kept buying, so it doesn't really bother me.

I haven't seen her watching any of my new listings, so I'm starting to wonder if maybe she's over buttons and moving on to something else. Which is fine. Except now I'm where I was a month ago, only with 30 sales and no feedback from them. (I had 1 other customer buy 1 button, but he didn't leave feedback either.)

Is there some trick to getting people to leave feedback? I don't think either buyer had any gripes. In fact, I actually bought a button from an established seller so I could mimic her excellent packaging. I offer 3 days handling, but I always ship the day after payment unless it's a Sunday or federal holiday.  I stretch out the combined shipping time when she's bidding on multiple actions, so instead of bugging her for payment on day 3 or 4, I'm waiting an extra day or 2 for the other auctions to end so she doesn't have to pay extra shipping for a separate package. And, yes, I left feedback immediately for each sale. 

Am I supposed to be asking for feedback?? I mean, it's eBay so it should be common knowledge, right?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Even if your customer left 29 feedbacks, at the same time, it would only count as a 1 in your accumulated score. Just fyi. I think about 30% of my buyers leave fb; it used to be higher but oh well.

Your feedback will come the longer that you are here. You can't ask, so all you can do is your best and eventually you will see them rolling in.  Good luck to you! 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Feedback is voluntary and not required by either party.

Asking a buyer for feedback will only result in feedback you don't want. Like negative feedback. eBay already sends buyers feedback reminders.
You couldn't possibly see a buyer watching because eBay doesn't show you who watchers or viewers are.  
Be patient feedback will come. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Is there some trick to getting people to leave feedback?

Feedback on eBay is entirely optional, and buyers have very little incentive to leave it.

Am I supposed to be asking for feedback

No. And some buyers get offended if you ask for feedback.

I mean, it's eBay so it should be common knowledge, right?

What is common knowledge on eBay is that most buyers do not leave feedback.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks!

It was more of a rhetorical question, but I suppose I should have said so. I wouldn't ask for feedback even if it wasn't policy, because it seems like groveling. 

Well I couldn't see who the watcher was, obviously, but logic says it was the same single person who was also buying. She's no longer bidding on things and I no longer have a random watcher, so...2+2. 😂

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

Is there some trick to getting people to leave feedback?

Feedback on eBay is entirely optional, and buyers have very little incentive to leave it.

Am I supposed to be asking for feedback

No. And some buyers get offended if you ask for feedback.

I mean, it's eBay so it should be common knowledge, right?

What is common knowledge on eBay is that most buyers do not leave feedback.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Even if your customer left 29 feedbacks, at the same time, it would only count as a 1 in your accumulated score. Just fyi. I think about 30% of my buyers leave fb; it used to be higher but oh well.

Your feedback will come the longer that you are here. You can't ask, so all you can do is your best and eventually you will see them rolling in.  Good luck to you! 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I was unaware of that. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I always leave feedback, reviews, etc no matter what platform I'm buying on.  Since feedback is the only rubric by which we're judged on eBay by other users, it's a little bit gross that it's optional, but I guess I'll shut up and be happy with my 5. 😂

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@paynebuttons 

When a buyer purchases multiple items in the same Sunday-Saturday week, the feedback left for them (and you as the seller) only count as 1 in the feedback total. 
Had this buyer of 30 items left 30 feedback, the number behind your username would now read 6 instead of 5. 
Leaving 30 comments can be redundant. I do give you props for thinking of multiple comments for that many feedback.

There is no right or wrong order of who goes first, but some sellers wait for the buyer to leave feedback as they consider feedback received as a signal that the buyer is satisfied. 
Of course, there are sellers who leave it as soon as the package is sent.

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

As has been noted before, you'd likely receive a lot more negative and neutral feedbacks if it was forced, simply because people don't like being forced to do things like that.  Also, I'm not sure how it could be forced by eBay in the first place.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yes, it's eBay, so it should be common knowledge that feedback for either party is optional, not required.

Asking for feedback isn't a good idea.  Even if the buyer's experience with the seller was sterling, getting a request for something he's not required to do could just set him off.  You don't want that to happen, right? 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply