cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fee's on card sales

Doe' s anyone else think that 12.9% is a we bit crazy ,and how about final fee that is based on postage too that's a little off the wall

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Fee's on card sales

There are probably more than a few sellers who will answer "yes" to your question; however, all sellers are, or should be, familiar with eBay's fees before they begin to sell here.

Just curious:  What would be the justification for card sales having a lower FVF percentage than other items?

Also, the FVF has been calculated on the shipping fee as well as the item price for at least 10  years.

Sorry to break it to you, but the state sales tax, if any, is also added into the calculation.  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Fee's on card sales

@jkkujo18sj2 wrote:

Doe' s anyone else think that 12.9% is a we bit crazy ,and how about final fee that is based on postage too that's a little off the wall

No, I don't think it's crazy, it is cheaper than the 14.6% I pay for selling in Books & Magazines. 

No , It's not off the wall, it's the norm for payment processors everywhere even B & M Stores like Walmart & Target, Office Depot and Home Depot amoung thousand of others pay a fee on the ENTIRE amount of the sale.

If you read ebay's Seller Fee Policy you wouldn't be here asking this question

Selling fees | eBay 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Fee's on card sales

Sellers used to sell a $100 item for $1 + $99 shipping to avoid paying fees.

They paid fees based on one dollar.

That's why ebay started calculating the fee based on the TOTAL of the sale.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Fee's on card sales

Would be nice if it were less, but eBay is a "for profit" operation, so they need to...........  make a profit.

The fee also on postage is a dead horse, so I will pass on that aspect.

I have run the #'s on my fees many times. My fees overall have changed little in the past 3 years on eBay MP.

PP has raised their processing fees. For many PP stopped refunding fees on cancels/refunds.

I know the ~ fees when I list an item. As I am also a "for profit" operation, when listing it is done in a manner where the buyers cover my fees.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Fee's on card sales

I think the fee is modest, compared to the "take" at a consignment shop or auction house.  It is in line with the fees charged on comparable on-line marketplaces.

All payment processors charge their fees based on the total sale to the buyer, for the merchandise, sundry charges and surcharges, handling, shipping, sales tax.  This is stand, universal, and has been so since the invention of the credit card.

Do I wish I could sell with even lower and fewer fees?  Sure.  Heck, I'd like my gross to be my net!  But then, there's reality.

-

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Fee's on card sales

Hi, the top consignment shop i used was charging 60% of the sale. Auction houses in the metroplex where i live have about a 50% take and sometimes an additional seller’s premium. So, no, i don’t think the 12.9% fee eBay assesses is nuts at all.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Fee's on card sales

@jkkujo18sj2 wrote:

Doe' s anyone else think that 12.9% is a we bit crazy.

No, not compared to the exposure and the cost anywhere else. See how much a card dealer will give you for your cards, maybe you will think a little differently.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Fee's on card sales

"Doe' s anyone else think that 12.9% is a we bit crazy ,and how about final fee that is based on postage too that's a little off the wall[?]"

Nope.  I do not think a 12.9% Final Value Fee (plus 30 cents) is even a wee bit crazy.  (See what I did there?)  

The reason is that I looked into the costs for selling on eBay and I learned what the fees were.  Back when I started, eBay's fee was 10.0% and PayPal's fee was 2.9% plus 30 cents.  So my total fees used to be 12.9% plus 30 cents.   Which is exactly what eBay's fees are now, since PayPal is no longer involved.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Fee's on card sales

Message 9 compares the selling fees of the Big Five websites.
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Too-high-selling-fee/m-p/33057881#M2032025

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Fee's on card sales

There are very few online sales venues with the exposure of eBay.  My Amazon account takes 15% of the total sale and $40 per month. 

They are also less forgiving to sellers than eBay. 

eBay is a breeze compared to Amazon. 

Posting ID
Message 11 of 11
latest reply