cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End Those GTC -No Gifts to eBay This Christmas

Merry Christmas my fellow eBayers, having a lovely one here & hope you are all having a great day too. Remember to check your GTC that may roll over today. Kill them if that's your plan. Betting they hope we are too busy to check thus handing them bazillions of fee gifts today. I almost let one slip by. That always frosts me.

Here's to a wonderful end of the year selling bonanza for us all-Cheers!!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If you close the listing, no customers will see it and it cannot sell.

In addition, any slight hope of being picked up by Google disappears.

We have 50 Free Listings every month.

Store owners have from 100-10,000 "free" listings with their monthly subscriptions and can double that at no extra charge by listing more items on eBayCanada*.

* In Canadian dollars and using only Flat Rate shipping from an international location. But hey, free listings.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I list throughout the month, and usually end a batch before they roll over at the end of 3-4 months, and then relist at a later date so those items will then be "newly listed."  However, for Christmas, I decided to let them all roll-over.  Perhaps after the new year, I will start ending batches of listings again.

You can't sell it if it isn't listed.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

You can't sell it if it isn't listed.

That is true.

But each seller has to decide how to get it listed in a manner that makes the most sense. 

For instance, I sell a lot of low-demand music memorabilia. When I get a listing special for 500 free insertions, I fire up turbo lister and upload 500 listings from my inventory and I will sell $500 worth of it like clockwork.

But there is no rhyme nor reason to those sales, and I have absolutely no idea which 35 of those 500 items will sell. So it makes no financial sense to me to pay $175 when they roll over - because that would eat up about 50% of my profit. So I simply end them and wait for the next listing special. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I've sold using GTC listings for years.  I remember I really fought the idea of GTC for a very long time before I started using them.  I liked doing auctions and they did well for me.

Then in 2015 things started changing in the categories I sell in.  Auctions weren't pulling much interest anymore and sales tanked.  I already had a good amount of GTC listings going and thank goodness I did otherwise I would not have survived.  So now I rarely run auctions and mostly stick with GTC.

I don't close my GTC unless they have become stale after a few months and no sales.  Then I will close them and either relist or seller similar, whichever method is in my best interest.  

Maybe taking a step back and try looking at your sales a bit differently this year.  Closing your listings every month isn't likely gaining you what you think it is.  

GTC is here to stay.  Instead of continuing to try and work against them, try working with them and see how you do.  You may just get pleasantly surprised.

But do keep in mind that if your sales doesn't typically do well in the first handful of weeks following Christmas, don't hold it again GTC is history continues to repeat itself for you.  But try it for awhile and just see how it does for you.

For me, the last week of December and the month of January are usually my busiest time of the year.  It is my hope that it is the same for you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year!!!!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

When eBay gives the" list for free" 100 to 500 item incentives I end and relist all my listings the last day of that offer.  so far this has always kept me a month ahead of the GTC Fee Bay scam. I still hate GTC and I am hating eBay more each day.  shipping labels print funky -giant to mini. No way to fix and retain settings. Today I have this message from customer who is unable pay for item "I have tried paying for the belt for 3 days, for some reason it says security code on back needs to be re entered. I have tried doing this with no success. ...other buyers and sellers have reported problems making payments. Oh thans for the merry christmas hope all had a great holiday

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I end my listings every month, I pay ebay good money every month to sell my items and for most of the year ebay has not produced. I can't see spending more money on something with a slight chance of it producing.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Can someone please point me to the help files so I can read how GTC works each month.  I looked but when I type in Good Til Canceled (with different spellings) nothing comes up.  I want my 50 free listings to roll over without any fees each month, so I don't have to go through the end listing and relist process. 

Change the channel!
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@drusalina wrote:

Can someone please point me to the help files so I can read how GTC works each month.  I looked but when I type in Good Til Canceled (with different spellings) nothing comes up.  I want my 50 free listings to roll over without any fees each month, so I don't have to go through the end listing and relist process. 

The listing duration for all fixed price listings will be Good 'Til Cancelled

Starting in mid-March 2019, the listing duration for all new fixed price listings on eBay will be Good 'Til Cancelled. Existing fixed price listings that are not Good 'Til Cancelled will continue until they sell or end at their specified duration. If a short-duration fixed price item is relisted, the duration will be set to Good 'Til Cancelled upon relist.

Good 'Til Cancelled listings renew automatically every 30 days unless your item sells before that timeframe. We charge an insertion fee every 30-day period. Good 'Til Cancelled listings count toward your monthly zero insertion fee listings. Fee amounts are based on the terms in effect when the listing goes live and when it renews.

With Good 'Til Cancelled listings you can take advantage of the out-of-stock feature. If your listing reaches a quantity of zero, we will show it as out-of-stock to buyers. By using out-of-stock, your listing will retain its purchase and search history, so that when you replenish your stock, buyers can easily find your listing. Learn more about the out-of-stock feature.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-early/index.html#fixed-price-listing

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I found this info in an announcement:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-spring/marketplace-updates.html#good-til-ca...

Examples of Good 'Til Cancelled calendar-month renewals effective July 1, 2019

EXAMPLE: Listing created on the 5th of the month

If you create a Good 'Til Cancelled listing on July 5, it will be renewed on August 5, September 5, October 5, and so on.

EXAMPLE: Listing created on the 31st of the month

If you create a Good 'Til Cancelled listing on July 31, your listing will renew on the 31st or the last day of the month—August 31, September 30, October 31, and so on.

Change the channel!
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@drusalina wrote:

I found this info in an announcement:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-spring/marketplace-updates.html#good-til-ca...

Examples of Good 'Til Cancelled calendar-month renewals effective July 1, 2019

EXAMPLE: Listing created on the 5th of the month

If you create a Good 'Til Cancelled listing on July 5, it will be renewed on August 5, September 5, October 5, and so on.

EXAMPLE: Listing created on the 31st of the month

If you create a Good 'Til Cancelled listing on July 31, your listing will renew on the 31st or the last day of the month—August 31, September 30, October 31, and so on.

YES!  Listings renew ONCE per calendar month.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply