cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay resolution Center unfair to sellers.

I listed an item on ebay that is at least 20  years old.  I listed it as  "mint" because it is.  Mint measn relatively  perfect  which is almost perfect, not perfect.  There was a small spot on which I never even saw.  Well the buyer said I misrepresented the item and I most certainly did not.  I have tried to appeal their ruling I can find no way to  appeal..  I am going to get off ebay because of this unfairness and never use it again.  If the appeals board had actually looked at the pictures they would have seen I did not misrepresent the item.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@takikawa4 wrote:

@margarelariso_0

You can have up to 12 pictures. I'd use them, showing ALL angles: front, back, left side, right side, top, bottom. I won't touch on the description of being mint since many other posters have already done so.

This is the best advice and the OP should take it to heart. When selling highly faked items, anything that can prove authenticity as well as show condition should be shown as well as described.

As a handbag seller (but it goes for anything), the best advice I ever received as to "describe as though there are no pictures and photograph as though there's no description."

This is spot on. 

Some sellers think that if they state the true condition of an item, it won't sell.

... which simply isn't true, as I've sold plenty of items with small flaws that I thoroughly documented in the listing.  Lots of buyers don't care if an item isn't 100% perfect as long as they're getting it for a good price.  You just have to be upfront and honest about any flaws that an item may have.

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@takikawa4 wrote:

@margarelariso_0

You can have up to 12 pictures. I'd use them, showing ALL angles: front, back, left side, right side, top, bottom. I won't touch on the description of being mint since many other posters have already done so.

This is the best advice and the OP should take it to heart. When selling highly faked items, anything that can prove authenticity as well as show condition should be shown as well as described.

As a handbag seller (but it goes for anything), the best advice I ever received as to "describe as though there are no pictures and photograph as though there's no description."

This is spot on. 

Some sellers think that if they state the true condition of an item, it won't sell.

... which simply isn't true, as I've sold plenty of items with small flaws that I thoroughly documented in the listing.  Lots of buyers don't care if an item isn't 100% perfect as long as they're getting it for a good price.  You just have to be upfront and honest about any flaws that an item may have.

@yuzuha

Absolutely agree with you!  But some sellers think that way.  Lots of buyers don't care about damage as long as they know it up front, not as an unwelcome surprise.  

One of my most precious purchases  was a Nippon teapot, sugar and creamer in the thatched hut, swan on the lake pattern.  Beautiful turquoise blue rim overlaid with gold scroll design.

My grandmother had a set like it.  I looked and looked, and couldn't find it...until one day a very nice seller listed the set, great price, as the handle was broken off the sugar or creamer (I'm not sure which now as I repaired it )  He had the piece and was including it for possible repair.  We emailed about it, It was a clean break, easy repair.  I bought the set and thanked him profusely for listing it, told my story, and how much the set meant to me.  It now lives in my china cabinet and is cherished.

You are right, upfront and honest is the way to go.  That avoids problems down the road for the seller and the buyer.

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@takikawa4 wrote:

@margarelariso_0

This is spot on. 

@yuzuha

Absolutely agree with you!  But some sellers think that way.  Lots of buyers don't care about damage as long as they know it up front, not as an unwelcome surprise.  

One of my most precious purchases  was a Nippon teapot, sugar and creamer in the thatched hut, swan on the lake pattern.  Beautiful turquoise blue rim overlaid with gold scroll design.

My grandmother had a set like it.  I looked and looked, and couldn't find it...until one day a very nice seller listed the set, great price, as the handle was broken off the sugar or creamer (I'm not sure which now as I repaired it )  He had the piece and was including it for possible repair.  We emailed about it, It was a clean break, easy repair.  I bought the set and thanked him profusely for listing it, told my story, and how much the set meant to me.  It now lives in my china cabinet and is cherished.

You are right, upfront and honest is the way to go.  That avoids problems down the road for the seller and the buyer.

Exactly.  No buyer is going to be happy if they're unpleasantly surprised with an item that's not in the condition they were expecting, but if they know about a problem with the item before they buy, that allows them to make an informed decision as to whether or not they want it.  And some buyers will want it!  Not describing/mentioning flaws is really just shooting yourself in the foot and setting yourself up for problems that could easily be avoided.

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@18704d wrote:

"...nearly mint means there is some kind of small flaw to be expected."

--------

fwiw,

"nearly mint" is Keyword Spamming.

It's either Mint, or it's Not.

Lynn

Unless it's "Minty" LOL

I HATE that word!

Ditto!