cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay LISTS postage too low. USPS Charges more i.e. ebay 2.80 & USPS 3.60 OUCH! Losing Money

My auction show low postage fees for first class mail. some over a dollar low for light weight items.  $2.35 in listing when discounted postage will be over $3.00.  This is on my listings I've had for a while. How do I fix to postage problem and NOT by upping prices and giving free shipping.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay LISTS postage too low. USPS Charges more i.e. ebay 2.80 & USPS 3.60 OUCH! Losing Money

@electronicspart wrote: ... I do not see ENVELOPE as an option in the ebay drop down menus.  

You need to look in the menu for 'Package type" not the menu for service type.   

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 4.08.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 4.08.38 PM.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Probably the shipping calculator drop-down menu for "Package type" has been set to Large envelope rather than Package.  The listing will still show "First Class package" because that's what you chose for the service, but the calculator will charge for the Large envelope.

This will result in the buyer being charged $2.35 for a 10-ounce item rather than $5.19 - $5.66 (the range of retail prices for a 10-ounce FC package).  The online rates for that package range from $3.82 to $4.33.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Isn't 1st class by the ounce for large envelope or package the same? Also, isn't the postal option listed as "large envelope or package"?
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@electronicspart wrote:
Isn't 1st class by the ounce for large envelope or package the same? Also, isn't the postal option listed as "large envelope or package"?

No they aren't the same
Large envelope is cheaper you need to select Package or Thick envelope from the drop down

first class  package size 2-19.JPG

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

No, those are two separate categories, with separate pricing charts.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

USPS categorizes each piece as a letter, flat (AKA Large envelope) or package.  To qualify to be mailed as a flat, a piece must weigh no more than 13 ounces, and it must be flexible, no more than 3/4 inch thick, and literally flat (which USPS describes as a variation in thickness of no more than 1/4 inch).  

So an envelope that is more than 3/4 inch thick has to be mailed as a package.  That's why there are separate choices for "Large envelope" and for "Package/ thick envelope."   

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Also, you cannot print (on Ebay) postage for FC flat or large envelope since it does not have tracking,  and Ebay wants tracking.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

OK, I looked at previous shipments and all were FIRST CLASS PACKAGE, not envelope and they ebay charged the customer a low postage rate and the  postal program IN Ebay charged me a much higher price.

Is no one else having this problem with first class shipping?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

eBay only prints labels for packages, so the postage that you purchase through eBay will always be at the package rate..

If you select "First Class Package" as the service type, then that's what will show in the listing.

BUT

If you select "Large envelope" as the "Package type" then that's what the shipping calculator will charge.

Your buyers are being undercharged because you have set "Package type" to "Large envelope". This is a user error that is easily corrected.   You need to go to the drop-down menu for 'Package type" and change it from "Large envelope" to "Package/ thick envelope."

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

ALL of my auctions/listings with this problem have postage I chose as FIRST CLASS PACKAGE, not envelope.

I do not see ENVELOPE as an option in the ebay drop down menus.  

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Go into the listing that sold by clicking on sell similar. Scroll down to the shipping section where you listed the weight and dimensions (it is after the international shipping section)  Under package type did you check off large envelope or package?  If it was large envelope, change it to package and your problem will be solved.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@electronicspart wrote: ... I do not see ENVELOPE as an option in the ebay drop down menus.  

You need to look in the menu for 'Package type" not the menu for service type.   

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 4.08.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 4.08.38 PM.png

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Package. ALL of my listing are package. Have been for years for first class. Our stuff is nomally too thick for ENVELOPE rates
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

OH MY!   THANK YOU!  I've been selling on ebay since 1998 and NEVER saw that need for a second entry for PACKAGE, sine it already said package and my package was in envelope bigger than the requirement for and actual envelope rate.   ABOVE that is PACKAGE and I thought that was what it meant..........ebay can be confusing for even those of us who think they know what they are doing.  

Thanks for all of the help from those trying to set me straight.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

So glad the most excellent helpers here helped you.  Since USPS went to zone rates for First Class, it's a big increase for anyone on one of the two coasts. 

You're in CA and I'm in VA; it was not pleasant when 4 or 5 ounces coast to coast jumped by almost $1.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 14 of 14
latest reply