cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Color Coded Stars -- Show & Tell: Is there an Actual Purpose-OR-Are We Back in Primary School:?

Further to earlier thoughts, just dawned on me, re: the Ebay color coded star systen -- you know the one, so many buys and/or sells, you get a certain color star, more sales/buys? Awesome, you "up" to the next level / color star, and so on. Either way and anyway, Ebay makes more money and their way, perhaps, of thanking buyers/sellers, much like K-grade and primary school teachers "reward & encourage" their pupils to keep it up and do more (aka, buy/sell more)--- or, am I wrong?!

Discuss.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ebay Color Coded Stars -- Show & Tell: Is there an Actual Purpose-OR-Are We Back in Primary School:?

It's just a rating system.  No more, no less.  

Some might look at it as a warm fuzzy or an achievement.

To each, his own.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

This has been here since I started back in 1999.

Are you just noticing it now?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

cycle-dog, you're an Adventurer here...

keep posting and you someday will become a RockStar .. and more

Woman Happy

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

File this under: who the heck cares?

Of all the things on eBay, this is your topic? Apparently things are going well for you then.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

"you know the one, so many buys and/or sells, you get a certain color star, more sales/buys? Awesome, you "up" to the next level / color star, and so on"

------------

I think I've heard the entire military kinda does the same thing,

something about rank?

Right?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

No, not just noticing, but, rather, questioning the purpose -- as in, silly or what? I mean, frankly, as a buyer mostly (considering selling, at least my spouse is, when we retire that is, not quite yet, but you know, something to do and all, and if that is what my spouse wants, then sure, why not). Otherwise, from seller perspective I suppose, easy for buyer to see by color code if i.e. a "power seller" or not, right? (But what does that mean? Personally, I not only read buyer feedback for sellers but, as if NOT MORE IMPORTANTLY, seller feedback for buyers -- just sayin' ! 🙂 ). Cheers.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Funny you should mention that -- and yet raise at the same time another question! I was a so-called "rock star" then, suddenly, for some reason unknown to me, after several more buys, labelled an "adventurer" or what have you (whatever that means as well, and, perhaps, because I didn't take Ebay up on their offer to sell? WHO KNOWS, and honestly, WHO CARES! 😛 ). Like the color star thing, other than for buyers to know at a glance whom in terms of sellers they are dealing with (i.e., occasional seller, small biz, or say big biz / retailer), again I ask -- and perhaps answer my very own question, but alas! -- what is the point, at least as it concerns buyers, in which case, allow me to rephrase: other than K-grade / primary school llike encouragement tactics, what is the point of color coding buyers? (From a seller perspective, does it even make sense?). Thanks. 🙂

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yes, Oh, YES. Yes they are! (And thank you for asking, wishing that for you, too! 🙂 ).

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Yep, and well said!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

It's just a rating system.  No more, no less.  

Some might look at it as a warm fuzzy or an achievement.

To each, his own.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply