cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU Law Requires Personal Contact Information on Listings to Sell Internationally to EU Countries?

I see in the seller update for October, 2023, that in order to sell internationally to EU countries we will now have to provide personal information on our listings for "security and transparency". It's an EU law, I get that. Ebay and any other site that sells internationally is going to run into this same requirement. But does that mean this information, my home phone number, will be listed for domestic buyers as well if I want to sell internationally? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

EU Law Requires Personal Contact Information on Listings to Sell Internationally to EU Countries?

I find this to be a strange requirement/law. EBay is the merchant of record under manage payments if any information should be in the listing it should be eBay's. I don't suppose eBay provided a reference link to the law?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@opshop85 wrote:

I see in the seller update for October, 2023, that in order to sell internationally to EU countries we will now have to provide personal information on our listings for "security and transparency". It's an EU law, I get that. Ebay and any other site that sells internationally is going to run into this same requirement. But does that mean this information, my home phone number, will be listed for domestic buyers as well if I want to sell internationally? 

Reading the FAQs about the EU law, it would seem that if your account is registered as business with eBay, and you sell internationally, even through eBay EIS program, the answer is yes. 

but, I’ve asked that question of a staff member on the discussion board, and hope to get a definitive answer tomorrow.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I find this to be a strange requirement/law. EBay is the merchant of record under manage payments if any information should be in the listing it should be eBay's. I don't suppose eBay provided a reference link to the law?

Merchant of Record and Seller of Record are two completely different things.  We are the Seller of Record.  Ebay [like Paypal was] is the Money Processor.  Therefore they are the Merchant of Record.

Ebay hasn't allowed sellers to have their own Merchant account in a few years now, but even when it was allowed, you had to be a pretty good size seller to have your own merchant account for money processing purposes.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 4
latest reply