cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay Nightmare, Buyer " Always Right" Disaster

In the past 6 weeks I have lived through an EBay nightmare, that will not end.

I am a professional artist and in March, 2017 decided to sell my perfect Epson Stylus 3800 Photo Stylus Printer as I was planning on moving my studio, rather than storing it.

I paid 1200.00 for it and it worked perfectly and only needed a couple of new ink cartridges.

I was unaware that "Absolutely No Returns" was actually the Gateway to Hell, and meant nothing of the sort. I was also unaware that one must write " For Parts Only" for the "Absolutely No Returns" to mean anything.

I decided to sell my printer for 350.00 as I was hoping for a quick sale.

1 Epson 3800 Printer1 Epson 3800 Printer2 Epson 3800 Printer2 Epson 3800 Printer3 Epson 3800 Printer3 Epson 3800 Printer4Epson 3800nPrinter4Epson 3800nPrinter5 Epson 3800 Printer5 Epson 3800 Printer

Message 1 of 121
latest reply
120 REPLIES 120

So... what exactly is the issue? Someone bought it, and filed a SNAD because of the missing ink cartridges?

You don't exactly give any details about the actual issue you're having.

Bigmotormania
Message 2 of 121
latest reply

You can get a pretty good overview of what happened by looking at the Neg that the OP has already received, plus (in particular) the listing itself. This was a very heavy item that apparently needed better packing, with double-boxing at minimum, as opposed to be being wrapped in a used coat.

I was surprised to see that the listing actually shows the post-sale Q&A going back and forth between seller and buyer after the dispute had been filed. (Scroll down to the bottom of the listing description.) I've never seen that before.

Message 3 of 121
latest reply

Silly me, I have a tendency to forget to look at feedback and solds history when responding to cases like this.

However, it helps to be able to give advice or answer any questions when details of what happened are put in the post.

Bigmotormania
Message 4 of 121
latest reply

You wrapped an Epson Pro 3800 in a COAT?! What were you thinking?

And you refused the delivery of the return? So now your buyer has their money AND the printer?

This disaster was entirely your doing. Don't bother telling us it was eBay's or the buyer's fault. Wow.

And posting photos of your printer was a waste of time and forum space.

Message 5 of 121
latest reply

@bigmotormania wrote:

Silly me, I have a tendency to forget to look at feedback and solds history when responding to cases like this.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you were slacking or anything; I was just pointing out that in this particular case, looking in that direction would prove to be very revealing.

If I'm reading these groups on a mobile device, I don't go off looking at feedback or old listings because it takes too long to bring them up, but when I'm at a desktop, like now, I can quickly go down side paths in case there's something interesting to see there.

Message 6 of 121
latest reply

It is only a disaster because you do not understand how returns work.

You have given the printer to the buyer by refusing delivery.  Damage/loss in transit on returns is at seller's risk. 

You will also have an unresolved case strike. eBay will issue the full refund from your funding source.

Learn the rules you are required to adhere to in exchange for the privilege of selling on eBay.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 7 of 121
latest reply

Anyway, OP, here's the basic mistakes you made;

1) You would have been better off getting new ink cartridges for it, and adjusting the price to include these (plus maybe a few %), then simply listing it as used.

2) You assumed wrong in the fact that on eBay there is no such thing as no returns, that only applies to remorse returns, but since you listed the printer with the wrong condition, since it was missing the ink cartridges, that means that at the time of sale it was technically not a functional printer, and therefore was, as you stated, supposed to be put in the "For Parts" condition.

3) You shipped a heavy bulky item, that also happens to be made of plastic and containing valuable electronic parts, without adequate or proper packaging material. If it were me, I would have found a large sealable plastic bag to wrap it in (for protection from potential water damage), wrapped it in the large bubble wrap, lined the box with the large bubble wrap, and filled any gaps in with either firm styrofoam or good quality puff pillows if nothing else was available. 

It seems the issue is it was damaged in transit, as well as missing necessary parts.

While using clothing as packaging might... work, it doesn't necessarily come off as quality packing material. 

4) You tried to refuse a SNAD return. A remorse return, sure, but a SNAD return is non-negotiable, you can give options like, give refund and let them keep the item, or return for full refund and pay for the shipping, but you cannot deny a refund.

Anyway, that's my synopsis on your situation

Bigmotormania
Message 8 of 121
latest reply

@sonoartista9

What, exactly, is the nightmare? That you wrapped a printer in a coat assuming it would be additional padding and bubble wrap? That you never bothered to learn about eBay's Money Back Guarantee? That you refused the return?

Message 9 of 121
latest reply

I had sold items on EBay for over ten years.
If I had known this was how EBay had operated, I NEVER would do business with them.
There are countless complaints on Google.
Being abused is no privilege!

Message 10 of 121
latest reply

I mentioned in my ad that the printer needed cartridges, and that the manual needed to be downloaded from the internet , from Epson's website, along with the driver appropriate for their computer.
I NEVER said this was a NIB printer.
I was VERY SPECIFIC about all details.
I remain convinced that as time goes by, no individuals will sell anything of value on EBay, that only existing stores will use it as an outlet, and that will be that.
There are THOUSANDS of seller complaints on the internet about EBay.
Google it.
Message 11 of 121
latest reply

The Buyer lied, and omitted that it was also wrapped in bubble wrap.

Interesting that you believe them!

Message 12 of 121
latest reply

@sonoartista9 wrote:
I mentioned in my ad that the printer needed cartridges, and that the manual needed to be downloaded from the internet , from Epson's website, along with the driver appropriate for their computer.
I NEVER said this was a NIB printer.
I was VERY SPECIFIC about all details.
I remain convinced that as time goes by, no individuals will sell anything of value on EBay, that only existing stores will use it as an outlet, and that will be that.
There are THOUSANDS of seller complaints on the internet about EBay.
Google it.

I never insinuated that you claimed it was new in box, what I said was that it having the missing cartidges means it's missing necessary parts and should have been listed as for parts only, and if you had gotten cartridges for it and it was fully operating as intended when it was listed, and subsequently when it was sold, it can and should be listed as used.

The way eBay works is for the most part straightforward when you get used to it, you made a couple mistakes, and unfortunately that cost you $350 and a perfectly good printer. 

There are thousands of sellers that work the system every day and have minimal issues, it's simply a matter of making sure that everything is listed properly, packaged properly, and the buyer gets their product safe, sound, and in a timely fashion.

Bigmotormania
Message 13 of 121
latest reply

The printer was wrapped in many layers of bubble wrap and then the bubble wrapped printer was then wrapped in a coat.
I find it interesting that you responded so quickly, siding with the "Buyer"

Message 14 of 121
latest reply

@sonoartista9 wrote:
The Buyer lied, and omitted that it was also wrapped in bubble wrap.

Interesting that you believe them, I suspect you work for EBay!

I can't know what the buyer did and did not lie about. I'm trying to give you advice based on what is before my eyes and what I can see, not based on speculations. 

I neither believe or disbelieve the buyer, because all I can work off of is a negative feedback, which may or may not be accurate, and your post did not give very many details on the situation that would allow for any such speculation.

Bigmotormania
Message 15 of 121
latest reply