cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropship

A buyer contacted me about a high priced item.  They said they wanted me to dropship for them and they would provide me with the label via email.  I said I was with this practice and was concerned that if he sent me the label I would lose out of my Paypal protection and any insurance protection. He replied that I was an idiot and I added him to my bbl.  How does this dropship work? 

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Dropship

Copy paste.  The rep said something like since I answered his email he was able to purchase or an ebay glitch.

Message 16 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

@holsteinatlanta wrote:

Copy paste.  The rep said something like since I answered his email he was able to purchase or an ebay glitch.

No, if you put him on the BBL anytime, then  - in the past - the buyer will not be able to purchase.

But since that happened to you, it is pretty obvious that ebay has removed another way to stop a scammer from getting what they want.

OP, I would keep calling and read the nonaccented CS - when you get one - the written policy.

I would never ship to the person - try and scam me once, shame on you, if i know you tried to scam me and I still shipped, shame on me for losing the item and the money.

(*Bleep*)
Message 17 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

@a*river*runs*through*it wrote:

I'd call Ebay on this one.

Blocking bidders and buyers

• If you don't want to sell your items to certain members, you can add their usernames to a blocked list.

• Members on your blocked list can't bid on or buy any of your items unless you remove them from the list.

• You can block up to 5,000 usernames.

• By default, blocked members are still able to contact you about your listings. You can change this setting in My eBay > Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements. You can also get to Site Preferences from Seller Hub > Overview > Shortcuts.

That one got tossed out the window.

Dropship

@holsteinatlanta wrote:

Custoer support provided me with two options.  I could ship the item to the guy and if he leaves a negative it could be removed

That sounds a little too much like a vague promise that no one at their end will ever recall saying to you, if in fact the excrement does strike the rotating apparatus.

@holsteinatlanta wrote:

So I'm going to ship it insured with sign confirmation.  Thank you guys for your help

Skip the Signature Confirmation; that is not required on sales below $750 and does not get your package any further protection that will help you with this dodgy buyer. If you've double-boxed it with bubblewrap sandwiched in, that should be fine against actual shipping damage; your next risk will be that the difficult buyer claims it's damaged anyway. If you have any further contact from him along those lines, please update us here before responding.

Message 19 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

Alot depends on the item I've seen just about every scam coming down the pipeline and the item will determine what type of scam they may be running. We're all to quick to let the money cloud our better judgement,but if you lose enough you become very wary and tend to look at things a little closer....

Message 20 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

Offering to provide a prepaid label does not spell scam. It's simply a really dumb buyer who doesn't know he can designate any name and address during checkout.

Years ago, I had a buyer like this -- when Paypal demanded that all orders be sent to the buyer's credit card billing address. The so-called "confirmed" address effectively prevented sending gifts or packages to a workplace! The buyer was not dumb, just stuck with a single address!

My buyer did not want the order sent to her accountant's office -- she traveled a lot and her accountant managed all her financial affairs. She wanted me to send the order via FedEx, billed to her accountant's FedEx account number but addressed to her temporary address several hundred miles away.

At the time, I was new to Paypal and sellers could still accept checks and money orders. So I simply told my buyer to skip Paypal, send me a check and just tell me where I should mail the order. USPS was cheaper anyway and I didn't have to adjust anything or make a special trip to FedEx.

Bottom line: While I do not recommend 3rd party billing for eBay purposes, it does place ALL the responsibility on the buyer. If the FedEx account number is misused, the blame falls on the person who provided the number. Businesses use 3rd party billing all the time for "on account" customers but it's not a good fit for online orders that require payment in advance and for which a shipping amount must be specified within a listing.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 21 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

I see nothing in your sold/completed today   ?????

THIS ...... was the sale on a different ID? 

If you go through with this sale.... WHEN it goes bad.... you were warned. My guess is, whatever the scam, he is going for the whole enchilada, both item and money.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 22 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

Yeah but I can get a neg either way.  I could get one for canceling the sale too  

He just wrote to me again and I played it cool asking if everything was okay and if he was happy and got this

Andrew, Does it matter whose label you use as long as it goes to the address at check out? Use the old noggin on this one. mike

I'm ready to cancel it now 

Message 23 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

Upon further reflection: In the OP's case, it occurs to me that the buyer does not want the SELLER's name and address on the label.  That is, he does not want his customer to know where he purchased the product.   He also wants his name and return address on the label so that any adjustments are between him and his customer. Many drop-shippers do provide such individual service for their clients. Bill to Joe Jones, ship to John Smith, no mention at all of the supplier's name or company.  But eBay doesn't work this way -- the actual seller is always identified as the sender unless the seller has an agreement with a supplier.  The buyer has nothing to say about it. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Message 24 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

Yes I saw his website from the paypal address.  He dropships electronics on a personal site.  He just doubled his money on my item.  I don't care about that I'm happy getting my price.  He does have 34,000 99.2 positive but I want to protect myself

Message 25 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

Someone explaining to ME as how I'm suppose to run MY business so it fits THEIR needs they'd be gone in a heartbeat money refund and use problem with address as the reason....

Message 26 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

@holsteinatlanta wrote:

Andrew, Does it matter whose label you use as long as it goes to the address at check out? Use the old noggin on this one. mike

The part that Mister Condescension is leaving out here is that it takes control of the shipment away from the seller. While you could upload its tracking number as your own for eBay purposes, you could not prevent a later redirection of the package to another destination before delivery, after which the buyer could file an Item Not Received dispute because the package did not go to the City and ZIP provided with the payment.

We're still trying to figure out how he evaded the Blocked Buyer List, too, aren't we?

Message 27 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

I'd use my noggin and have them paypal gift me the money,but most 3rd party nardos don't want to switch to being the paypal pivot person....

Message 28 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

I would go ahead and ship the order using your eBay label and your return address. I would also enclose a priced packing list that clearly shows the buyer's name, the recipient's name and of course the PRICE.

Funny, the guy is so obsessed about the outside label that he probably doesn't realize that paperwork will be enclosed. Sh-h-h! Don't let on!

Oh, and even if you do decide to use his prepaid label, charge the full shipping amount in your listing anyway. Your buyer deserves to pay twice!

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Message 29 of 59
latest reply

Dropship

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

Offering to provide a prepaid label does not spell scam. It's simply a really dumb buyer who doesn't know he can designate any name and address during checkout.

Years ago, I had a buyer like this -- when Paypal demanded that all orders be sent to the buyer's credit card billing address. The so-called "confirmed" address effectively prevented sending gifts or packages to a workplace! The buyer was not dumb, just stuck with a single address!

My buyer did not want the order sent to her accountant's office -- she traveled a lot and her accountant managed all her financial affairs. She wanted me to send the order via FedEx, billed to her accountant's FedEx account number but addressed to her temporary address several hundred miles away.

At the time, I was new to Paypal and sellers could still accept checks and money orders. So I simply told my buyer to skip Paypal, send me a check and just tell me where I should mail the order. USPS was cheaper anyway and I didn't have to adjust anything or make a special trip to FedEx.

Bottom line: While I do not recommend 3rd party billing for eBay purposes, it does place ALL the responsibility on the buyer. If the FedEx account number is misused, the blame falls on the person who provided the number. Businesses use 3rd party billing all the time for "on account" customers but it's not a good fit for online orders that require payment in advance and for which a shipping amount must be specified within a listing.

~~C~~

No, all of the responsibility is on the seller. The 'buyer' can reroute and then file INR, as he is the shipper of record, not you.

And if the fed ex # is misused, the one who uses it will be charged for it - that would be the seller.