cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discounted Final Value Fees for Social Sharing

I know a lot of people were excited about the discounted fees for social sharing that VP of Stores Tom Pinckney talked about at eBay Open last year.

I asked about it again at the spring seller check in and Tom said they would be testing it soon in Australia - well it looks like that test may have finally started.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Social-media/m-p/2472332 

Tom's presentation had said it would be 2.5% plus the $0.30 transaction fee, but I would assume that is for US - current pilot on eBay Australia is apparently 2.75% plus $0.33. Buyers must buy an item from the seller’s store using the shared link within 30 days of clicking the link and during the promotion period.

velvet@ebay  this is what @my-cottage-books-and-antiques was asking about in the chat on Wednesday.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I know a lot of people were excited about the discounted fees for social sharing that VP of Stores Tom Pinckney talked about at eBay Open last year.

I asked about it again at the spring seller check in and Tom said they would be testing it soon in Australia - well it looks like that test may have finally started.

Tom's presentation had said it would be 2.5% plus the $0.30 transaction fee, but I would assume that is for US - current pilot on eBay Australia is apparently 2.75% plus $0.33. Buyers must buy an item from the seller’s store using the shared link within 30 days of clicking the link and during the promotion period.

velvet@ebay  this is what @my-cottage-books-and-antiques was asking about in the chat on Wednesday.

Hey @valueaddedresource! The Social Sharing program going on for the .com site will have the Final Value Fee appearing as a credit on the eBay invoice within 30 days of a qualifying sale. I can include a summary of restrictions and exclusions below along with that link to the Terms & Conditions here again: 

• Social sharing is only valid for final value fee credits. Optional upgrade fees (such as reserve price, subtitle, etc.), as well as any applicable insertion and PayPal fees, may still apply.
  • Social sharing is only valid for the current listing duration. The unique listing link expires at the end of the listing duration, e.g., if your item is listed as a 1-day auction and the auction expires without a sale the unique link also expires.
  • This is not available for sellers using listing flows other than eBay's quick listing tool.
  • This is not available if the unique listing link is shared in any manner on www.ebay.com, including in your listing description, or on another eBay website.
Velvet,
eBay
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Hey @valueaddedresource! The Social Sharing program going on for the .com site will have the Final Value Fee appearing as a credit on the eBay invoice within 30 days of a qualifying sale. I can include a summary of restrictions and exclusions below along with that link to the Terms & Conditions here again: 

• Social sharing is only valid for final value fee credits. Optional upgrade fees (such as reserve price, subtitle, etc.), as well as any applicable insertion and PayPal fees, may still apply.
  • Social sharing is only valid for the current listing duration. The unique listing link expires at the end of the listing duration, e.g., if your item is listed as a 1-day auction and the auction expires without a sale the unique link also expires.
  • This is not available for sellers using listing flows other than eBay's quick listing tool.
  • This is not available if the unique listing link is shared in any manner on www.ebay.com, including in your listing description, or on another eBay website.

Thanks velvet@ebay  but that isn't what we're talking about - that is a social sharing promo that eBay has had for a while for some casual sellers, hence the quick listing tool requirement, but that isn't open to all sellers.

What we're talking about is the social sharing incentive that Tom Pinckney talked about at eBay Open last year for store subscribers, which he said would be 2.5%.

socialfees.jpg

Time stamped video:

I had asked about it during the spring seller check in and Tom indicated it was still on the roadmap, but had taken longer than they had originally anticipated and it would be tested first in Australia, which is what is being referenced in that link I provided to the eBay Australia community.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Thanks velvet@ebay  but that isn't what we're talking about - that is a social sharing promo that eBay has had for a while for some casual sellers, hence the quick listing tool requirement, but that isn't open to all sellers.

What we're talking about is the social sharing incentive that Tom Pinckney talked about at eBay Open last year for store subscribers, which he said would be 2.5%.

socialfees.jpg

Time stamped video:

I had asked about it during the spring seller check in and Tom indicated it was still on the roadmap, but had taken longer than they had originally anticipated and it would be tested first in Australia, which is what is being referenced in that link I provided to the eBay Australia community.

Ah, I understand now @valueaddedresource, thank you! It must still be on the roadmap as we don't have anything coming up internally related to this yet; just the social sharing promo I referenced. Hopefully it's a success in Australia and they'll continue the roll out to the .com site. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Everything that's old is new again!

@valueaddedresource 

Is this similar to the referral thing that was in effect for Stores prior to 2006 (before Stores to Core)?

As I recall the fee credit on that was 50%, sounds like the credit will be MUCH smaller on this version.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Everything that's old is new again!

@valueaddedresource 

Is this similar to the referral thing that was in effect for Stores prior to 2006 (before Stores to Core)?

As I recall the fee credit on that was 50%, sounds like the credit will be MUCH smaller on this version.

@slippinjimmy the video I linked to above is literally the only public, official reference to this referral program so I can't speak too much to similarities to what was in effect prior to 2006.

However, my understanding based on what Tom said in that video is that it's not a discount of 2.5%, it's lowering the FVF to 2.5% instead of the normal fee for your category for sales made through links you share on social media - so that should work out to be better than 50% for most categories.

Based on what Australian sellers are seeing it sounds like what will happen is if for example your regular FVF is 12.9%, that's what you'll be charged when the item sells, but then the difference between that and 2.5% will be credited to your account within 30 days.

The Australian program is just a test/pilot at this point, so things could change before it comes to the US or they could scrap the whole thing all together, so take all of that with a huge grain of salt.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@slippinjimmy  That was the old Store Referral Fee Discount.  As I understand this, it would mean any item sold via this new social media referral system would have an FVF of 2.5% (plus the 30 cent transaction fee). So, if you are usually selling items with about 12% FVF, that's actually a pretty substantial savings.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply