cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digging through "stuff" and having one of those "what do we have here then?" days

Brass, about 10" wide and say 3 1/2" deep, comes with a mallet.

I thought maybe a hand held "gong". Someone suggested a nutcracker, but I think it would be way too noisy.

Thoughts?

100_3552.jpg100_3554.jpg

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Digging through "stuff" and having one of those "what do we have here then?" days

Miniature boxing ring bell perhaps?

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 2 of 46
latest reply

I was thinking bell as well especially if the center cone (for lack of a better word) holds the item off the table. 

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

No - dont think so - the finished side is on top.

I agree with the nutcracker theory. You fill the bowl with walnuts or something in shells. Pick your walnut - place it in the shallow cup in the center - whack it with the little mallet and you have it open.

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

No - dont think so - the finished side is on top.

I agree with the nutcracker theory. You fill the bowl with walnuts or something in shells. Pick your walnut - place it in the shallow cup in the center - whack it with the little mallet and you have it open.

The shallow cup in the center looks too small for that.  Looks like unless you have 100% accuracy, all hitting a nut with a mallet there would do is send it flying across the room.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

LMAO, that too. I'd imagine it could be a handheld WMD if you tried it with a brazil or macadamia nut.

It does give off a very good BONG sound when you whack the side while holding the "handle"

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

When in doubt, it's a thing-a-ma-jig.  🙂

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 7 of 46
latest reply

LOL.

I don't know what gets into me, some of the stuff I pick up sometimes.

And the cashier at the TS says "what is that?" and I go "Dunno, but it's interesting" = )

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Definitely a nut bowl.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
LOL.

I don't know what gets into me, some of the stuff I pick up sometimes.

And the cashier at the TS says "what is that?" and I go "Dunno, but it's interesting" = )

LOL!

I'll tell you, that is one of those things where I wish my Lou were here.  He was the identifier of the weird, odd, strange, and he did it with pretty much 100% accuracy.    I, on the other hand, am like you!

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 10 of 46
latest reply

Of course there is ONE surefire way to find out.......

List it as 'whatever' and within a day or so someone will message to say "btw that's NOT an xx, it's a y"

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

It looks like a hand held, brass bowl gong.

There's also some bowl nut crackers that look similar..

It's interesting for sure.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

That was my initial thought, but a. it's heavy and b. why would you want to have to hold it while you whacked it?

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Ladies and gents, we must get with the times. My daughter a millennial, comes over last week and I ask her what would her generation like, and I start showing her things. We have a rollicking good time, there are tears in my eyes when I show her some things like a Josef Originals lady in a huge skirt with an umbrella and hat...

I show her a cut to clear rose bowl. Is that what she calls it? NO! She says, "It looks like it would be a good weed pot"

So I vote for "weed pot bowl". 

That little mallet would be great for knocking off the seeds.....

BTW I think it actually is a nut bowl, crazy as it would be with chunks of shell flying across the room. 

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

If she is having to deal with seeds, her source may be incompetent.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply