cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't pay

Hello ebay community,  Can someone tell me how long I should wait if a buyer didn't pay before I relist item and do I need to do anything else with ebay beside relist?

ty!  zazkat

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Didn't pay

You need to file an unpaid item claim.  Then if the buyer doesn't pay, you can close the claim and get a credit for your final value fee.  When you close the claim the buyer gets a nonpayment strike on their record and is blocked from paying or from leaving feedback. Then you relist.  

Here is the Help page about what to do if a buyer doesn't pay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

When you file an unpaid item claim, eBay immediately sends the buyer a message that strongly encourages them to pay for their item within 4 days. But that's all eBay does.

If the buyer doesn't pay, then after 4 days you'll get the option to close the case, giving the buyer a strike and getting a credit for your final value fee. Do not expect to hear anything about your case directly from eBay. Either the buyer pays or they don't. If you don't close the case within 36 days after the transaction it will expire, which means no strike for the buyer and no credit for you.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

Don't forget to add the buyer into your blocked buyer list

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

Thank you! How long after "sale" is reasonable to wait for payment before I file?
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

Yes indeed. ty!
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

48 hours 

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

Thank you yes, on it now
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

Personally I find reporting  non-paying buyer after only 48 hours a tad draconian.  I usually send a reminder invoice after 3 days and only send a report in after one week.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

The claim can be filed any time from 48 hours up to 32 days after the transaction. I agree that in most cases, it's better to send a friendly reminder invoice on day 3.  But I usually give just another 24 hours; then I'll file the case  if I haven't heard anything from the buyer.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

@zazkat wrote:
Thank you! How long after "sale" is reasonable to wait for payment before I file?

That depends on the seller.  Some sellers think that if payment isn't immediate, they should be able to file, while others seem to take a more liberal view and figure that maybe they will file one after a month.  The rest generally fall everywhere in between.

I believe 48 hrs  (2 days) is still the minimum to file, according to ebay, and close 96 hrs (4 days) after that.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

@zazkat wrote:

Hello ebay community,  Can someone tell me how long I should wait if a buyer didn't pay before I relist item and do I need to do anything else with ebay beside relist?

ty!  zazkat

There is no right or wrong answer.

Of course, you shouldn't just relist without closing out the sale first (unpaid item claim) because the buyer could pay later leaving you in a negative situation if you sold it to someone else in the meantime.

Only you can answer how long, each seller has their own formula and comfort levels, be it 2 days or 7 days...some have it set to automatically file an unpaid item claim claim at the minimum time, some will wait a week or two. For me, communication is paramount and a key to good customer relations. I will always contact the buyer first.

On my selling account, I very rarely have that problem but when it happens, after about 4 days I will message the buyer and ask them if they still want the item. In my experience, no one has ever said no. I take that approach for several reasons; they may have forgotten, they may need a bit of prompting, or maybe waiting for their paycheck, and I haven't put them on the defensive where I would lose them.

This is what works for me and what I am comfortable with. I sell in the coin world and certain collectibles; these things are always in demand, it's like money in the bank. If a buyer doesn't pay, I still have it and can sell it again later, I'm in no hurry. No problem.

So I reiterate, every seller has their own ideas, time frames, patience levels and demands. Follow your heart, be professional, and your business will prosper.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

In addition to all the considerations mentioned here already, I also look at the buyer before deciding how quickly I want to file an unpaid item.  I look at their feedback and not just feedback received.  If you look at feedback left for others and find they leave many negatives for sellers that seem unjustified or rude comments left for sellers, I will probably be more anxious to file so I could cancel the sale.  Sometimes you can tell from those comments that trouble is around the corner if the sale goes through.  If comments left seem reasonable and fair, I am a lot more flexible and will give a reminder or two before filing the claim. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Didn't pay

If the buyer is new and has neither received or left feedback, I open an unpaid item case after 2 days.

Anybody else, 4 days.

I close the case promptly at 4 days after I opened it.

I also put the buyer on my Blocked Bidder List.

Since eBay already sends reminders, I never send any reminders or messages to the buyer who hasn't paid yet.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 13 of 13
latest reply