cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did ebay end blocking low feedback buyers?

I have a problem with low feedback buyers opening cases and I have more and more 0 feedback buyers. I can't afford to keep refunding items and am insulted by this...

GOOD PUPPY DOG.

WOOF WOOF!

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Sellers have never had the optinon to block bidders with zero or positive feedback.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Yes. It ended around the same time they allowed guest checkout, which was awhile ago. As a matter of fact, as a buyer you can use profanity against a seller, get reported and order from them again in minutes or anytime you like.

This I personally saw repeatedly as a seller. eBay doesn't enforce their own rules regarding behavior so definitely do not expect them to respect or adhere to any provisions you've created to safeguard your efforts and merchandise. It gets worse than this but you asked about 0 feedback buyers.

The truth has few friends but many enemies.
No one is perfect, though a mirror and the right clothes may make some think otherwise.
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

@futuretomorrow wrote:

Yes. It ended around the same time they allowed guest checkout, which was awhile ago. As a matter of fact, as a buyer you can use profanity against a seller, get reported and order from them again in minutes or anytime you like.

This I personally saw repeatedly as a seller. eBay doesn't enforce their own rules regarding behavior so definitely do not expect them to respect or adhere to any provisions you've created to safeguard your efforts and merchandise. It gets worse than this but you asked about 0 feedback buyers.

It was never allowed. You could block those with -1 or less, but never 0

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

For a very long time the block was for "buyers with a minus one" or something of the sort.  Since buyers can only get positive feedback unless they are using a seller ID, the block was sort of silly and has been removed. 

Historically speaking, when sellers could post a negative to a buyer's account, it was quite useful to give a phony buyer that neg 1 so they could not continue to do damage to sellers who employed the neg one block...  All we had to hear was "ship to my (cousin, grandmother, sister, aunt) for their (wedding, first communion, graduation, coming out party) in Nigeria, and any seller could pop the neg to make the ID a minus .....

Not so anymore.  Buyer feedback is not necessary.  It is no indication at all as to the integrity of your trading partner any longer.   Sellers proceed with their blindfold on as transparecy in the marketplace is shunned by the venue  tech comany. 

They have even gone as far as removing the block for buyers with policy violations.  The rationale being that ebay has such high tech fraud detection now, that the buyer violators will be stopped in their tracks so there is no need for the block...  

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect

This is simply not correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=tDqMLm54gJQ

or, go to:

account > site preferences > scroll down to "buyer requirements" and toggle the "show" button and then click edit. It's now useless and has been for years. Ebay's system overrides that setting so "everyone can enjoy the eBay experience", scammers et al.

I know for a fact, same as the OP does this used to work and quite effectively. See my other response for a general timeline of when eBay made the change. 

No one is perfect, though a mirror and the right clothes may make some think otherwise.
Message 6 of 34
latest reply

@futuretomorrow wrote:

eBay has never allowed you block low feedback/zero feedback buyers.

nothing changed when they implemented guest checkout either. You can still block bidders with a negative feedback score but that is an old block from the days when buyers could get negative feedback and it’s basically useless now. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 34
latest reply

I don't believe this is correct. Next, what is -1 or less? Is that not also inclusive of 0?

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@futuretomorrow wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect

This is simply not correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=tDqMLm54gJQ

or, go to:

account > site preferences > scroll down to "buyer requirements" and toggle the "show" button and then click edit. It's now useless and has been for years. Ebay's system overrides that setting so "everyone can enjoy the eBay experience", scammers et al.

I know for a fact, same as the OP does this used to work and quite effectively. See my other response for a general timeline of when eBay made the change. 

No, it is correct. And your timeline is wrong. 

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

I used to like getting zero-feedback buyers or bidders. It usually meant that they were new and enthusiastic and they always loved their widgets. I was glad to be their first (of many, many) sellers. We all made a little money, got cool stuff and HAD FUN!

There are still new members (we all gotta start new) with good intentions and money to burn. I feel bad for the legit buyers because the shady ones have figured out all the loopholes and are ruining it for everyone.

Can't block them, good or bad. Never could. Good luck~

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

While this might be correct your last line is all the OP needs.

"it's basically useless now". No one will debate that...

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@futuretomorrow wrote:

I don't believe this is correct. Next, what is -1 or less? Is that not also inclusive of 0?

It IS correct. You can block buyers with a score of -1. -1 is less than zero so that block does NOT block zero feedback bidders. 

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

For a very long time the block was for "buyers with a minus one" or something of the sort.  Since buyers can only get positive feedback unless they are using a seller ID, the block was sort of silly and has been removed. 

Historically speaking, when sellers could post a negative to a buyer's account, it was quite useful to give a phony buyer that neg 1 so they could not continue to do damage to sellers who employed the neg one block...  All we had to hear was "ship to my (cousin, grandmother, sister, aunt) for their (wedding, first communion, graduation, coming out party) in Nigeria, and any seller could pop the neg to make the ID a minus .....

Not so anymore.  Buyer feedback is not necessary.  It is no indication at all as to the integrity of your trading partner any longer.   Sellers proceed with their blindfold on as transparecy in the marketplace is shunned by the venue  tech comany. 

They have even gone as far as removing the block for buyers with policy violations.  The rationale being that ebay has such high tech fraud detection now, that the buyer violators will be stopped in their tracks so there is no need for the block...  

That block hasn’t been removed, it’s there—

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

typo

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

The closest to a Block on zero feedback bidding was the Block on bidders without Paypal accounts.

With the arrival of guest accounts that has disappeared.

The most effective Block remains that on deadbeat Strikes.

Some are also big on Blocking 'addresses I don't ship to' but since about 85% of my sales are international (mostly to the USA), I'm not too taken with that one.

Some also will Block non-US based Paypal accounts.

Another useful tool is adding Immediate Payment Required to Fixed Price listings, which keeps the listing activer until someone actually pays.

And it seems that most of the low feedback deadbeats were bidding on Auctions. In my opinion, those bidders got tired of waiting or did not actually realize they were bidding not buying, so they moved on. Annoying but not dishonest.

So.

Fixed Price.

Immediate Payment Required.

Paypal restrictions.

Shipping restrictions.

Blocks on deadbeats.

Message 15 of 34
latest reply