cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleteing an item because "out of stock" then relisting right away

I seller just yesterday closed and auction due to being "out of stock" which cancelled my bid, then reisted the sme item again. This has happened more then once to me and I know it has happened to others. Is there any recourse that ebay will take against these seller? It is just really frustrating. Thank you for looking.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Are you talking about auctions or fixed listing?

If auction, how much time was left on the auction when he cancelled it?

If he is doing it after the allotted cancellation time and using out of stock as the reason, he is racking up defects and will soon be banned.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

There are some financial penalties for ending an auction early which has bids, but there are no harsh penalties for this.  It's not as if buyer has any claim on the item simply by placing a bid.

Once the sale has been made and paid for, then seller has a strong obligation to ship as described.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

If there are less then 12hours left and the auction has a bid, you have to sell it.

And if not, I imagine you would get the oos defect.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

No paid sale, no defect.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

So are you saying you can prevent the buyer from paying, thereby avoiding the defect.

Sorry not following.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

If there are less then 12hours left and the auction has a bid, you have to sell it.

Out of stock defect only happens after the sale is completed and the seller cancels for out of stock.

OP is talking about the seller cancelling bids and ending the auction early (presumably because the bidding was high enough) and relisting. In that case, it's not an out of stock, they use the 'no longer available' option to cancel. They get charge the FVF of the highest bid amount every time they do it.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I've had to do that with items before and will choose varying reasons on why I did so in Ebay. I mainly sell used motorcycle parts. Sometimes our service department may need a part for a customer's bike so I'll give them one I have and cancel the listing. They don't always end up needing it and will give it back to me so I'll relist it. Same goes for parts stuff. I'll pull a listing if they say something is sold and then that person will sometimes back out so I relist. I've also had to do it when I post something, realize I may have made a mistake and then relist after I confirm the info that I needed so the listing is correct. I also cross post some items on Craigslist and will pull the Ebay listing if it's a fixed price one so it doesn't sell while I'm waiting to meet up with the local person.

For me at least, there are many legitimate reasons why I may pull a listing/auction. I rarely do it though if it's an auction and someone has a bid on it.
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

So are you saying you can prevent the buyer from paying, thereby avoiding the defect.

Sorry not following.

No, the seller is cancelling the bids and ending the auction early. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Seller may face a defect on account in some cases but iam completely with you 

that if someone is doing it too often he/she should be suspended.

You have always the option to report seller if you feel that this was a violation of ebay rules but to be honest i didn't undestood completely when the seller cancelled the bid and for what reason.

Ebay has mechanisms to avoid such cases with "penalties" to sellers but for sure a more strict line is a must. The same goes for buyers who bid and leave items unpaid.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

No, not at all.

I'm saying that if the auction is ended with no sale, there is no defect, regardless of seller's reason, including OOS.

I'm saying that once buyer pays, if seller declares OOS, there IS a defect.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

I believe the seller also gets a defect if he cancels after the auction ends but before the winning bidder pays.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@geotouloupos wrote:

Seller may face a defect on account in some cases but iam completely with you 

that if someone is doing it too often he/she should be suspended.

You have always the option to report seller if you feel that this was a violation of ebay rules but to be honest i didn't undestood completely when the seller cancelled the bid and for what reason.

Ebay has mechanisms to avoid such cases with "penalties" to sellers but for sure a more strict line is a must. The same goes for buyers who bid and leave items unpaid.

eBay has decided that would rather make money off the FVF of the cancelled bid rather than no money by suspending the seller. In essence it does penalize the seller because they are incurring costs for nothing. But honestly, I doubt most sellers even realize that it happens. eBay will do nothing to sellers who do this, other than collect the $$ everytime they do it.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

So you can cancel a bid within the 12 hour time frame, and contrary to ebay's saying you have to sell to the highest bidder, you do not have to and incur no penalty?

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

I believe the seller also gets a defect if he cancels after the auction ends but before the winning bidder pays.

Correct, if he declares OOS.

One cannot cover all contingencies in a single posting.  The OOS cancel defect zone does not cover listings, only transactions which buyer has "bought".  

There is no defect for ending an auction or a BIN before anyone buys the item, regardless of reason.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply