cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customers mistakenly returning instead of exchanging. How to handle this?

I've recently had a lot of "returns" from customers that ordered items around Christmas. In the comment they leave for the return when they start the process, they say, "I would like to exchange this for ______". However because they started a return, eBay basically forces me to give them a refund instead of an exchange once the customer tracking shows that it was delivered to me.

Is there anything I can do on my end to stop eBay from forcing a refund? Or somehow convert the transaction to an exchange instead?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

There are settings that will need to be activated to allow exchanges and refunds. It may need to be done by editing each item. Here is a screenshot of edit item page. There is a setting for domestic and another for international.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for your response but I have those settings already checked. The option to exchange is there but the customers seem to miss that step 9 out of 10 times. "A refund" is selected and in the comment box, they state "I would like to exchange this to a different size."

Is there really no way around this?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@mormardra wrote:

they state "I would like to exchange this to a different size."

The buyer is going accordion do the plant.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/593914i32FFB601B4B9BBBA

You must return the drugs before they steal the bonsai.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I would assume either that exchange option is easily missed, or maybe the fact that many buyers aren’t aware the eBay has an exchange system at all. The eBay exchange system is still rather new compared to the return for refund process.

If I were you I would just message the buyer to re-buy the replacement from you at any time. No need to wait for the original item to return to you (which is a big benefit in case the buyer is impatient). Treat both transactions separately. You send the “replacement” immediately when they buy it and you’ll issue the refund for the original immediately after you receive it. Ultimately it pretty much has the same outcome as a return for exchange.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@ste-9405 wrote:

The buyer is going accordion do the plant.

Once buyer mails wrong item, seller ships exchange.png

You must return the drugs before they steal the bonsai.

What the heck?? lol

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 6
latest reply