cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Mad about Signature Confirmation on a $390 order............???

Vintage lego set, discontinued since 2002.  Sold for $390 with tax/shipping, etc.  We used signature confirmation on this order.  Evidently, UPS has left 3 notices for this Buyer.

Recd an email today letting me know what an Appaloosa Horse's Patoot  we are for requiring a signature.  When I offered to have it routed to her office/place of business, the "reply" was that they (wait for it) "work from home".......................

Should we just redact the shipment and move on?  Not willing to get scammed (AGAIN) on another HV lego set that is discontinued.  

9 days until Santa comes......................9 Days until Santa comes.....................9 Days.........................!!  🎅

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Did you make it VERY clear in the listing itself that you would be requiring signature confirmation for this particular item? Because I won't lie, I'd be SUPREMELY POed to have a seller slap a signature confirmation on something when I wasn't expecting it. It would be a massive inconvenience for me with my work schedule and the fact that a lot of the time there would be no one home to sign for a package when the postal carrier came around with the mail.

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Recd an email today letting me know what an Appaloosa Horse's Patoot  we are for requiring a signature.  When I offered to have it routed to her office/place of business, the "reply" was that they (wait for it) "work from home".......................🎅

Also, that doesn't mean that they're actually at home all day every day. My father works from home and he frequently goes out to have lunch meetings with colleagues so they can talk business. Sometimes he has to go pick up documents. He works from home in the sense that he doesn't work in an office-- it doesn't mean he's present to sign for a package 24/7.

Message 3 of 51
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

Did you make it VERY clear in the listing itself that you would be requiring signature confirmation for this particular item? Because I won't lie, I'd be SUPREMELY POed to have a seller slap a signature confirmation on something when I wasn't expecting it. It would be a massive inconvenience for me with my work schedule and the fact that a lot of the time there would be no one home to sign for a package when the postal carrier came around with the mail.

While I don't like the idea of going to the post office to sign for stuff... with high value things that could get stolen (like my $2000 shipment from France, or my many shipments from my USA supplier), I would prefer they not be left at my house if I happen to have gone into work that day. I use my PO Box for the purpose of getting expensive stuff routed, but some of my suppliers require a street address and I have no choice but to send things to the house. Canada Post "verbally signed" for that $2000 French package when I wasn't home and it sat outside for hours until I got home. I was incredibly upset to see Canada Post lied and marked it signed for to get out of having to bring it to the post office for pick up. Pure laziness on their part.

I generally just let people ship how they want, and deal with the fact I have to go to the post office to get stuff sometimes. Since I get lots of international packages, they come with customs. I do not pay the customs online intentionally so the package isn't just left at my house, then I have to go to the post office to pay it.

IMO, the buyer can be upset, but if they want the item, they need to sign for it. Otherwise it can get returned to the seller and they can get a refund less shipping.

C.

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

Agreed. I was once given a wine-of-the-month membership as a gift. FedEx required a signature because it was alcohol. I had to go to the FedEx facility every month to pick up that "gift." 

Several friends and neighbors are working from home, and their home offices are intentionally located away from distractions like the doorbell during their office hours. Some people seem to think those working from home aren't really working and have the luxury of taking care of personal things during work hours. Doesn't really work that way . . .

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

Yes, it is stated in the listing that signature confirmation WILL be REQUIRED

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 6 of 51
latest reply

But you would not hesitate to then file a INR case if it disappeared from your porch....Anything over $200 gets a SIG on my stuff and I have never had a complaint. After having a couple stolen and Ebay siding with a buyer you learn real quick.

Message 7 of 51
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Should we just redact the shipment and move on?  Not willing to get scammed (AGAIN) on another HV lego set that is discontinued.  

Signature Confirmation on a $390 item gets you nothing that Delivery Confirmation doesn't already give you for free, plus it can be an enormous inconvenience for the buyer, as you have probably learned by now.

You're not likely to get scammed on the delivery; that's easy to prove. It's the Not As Described disputes after delivery that'll get you. While I did see your reply about clearly stating Signature Confirmation will be used, not all buyers may see the whole description, and it doesn't do anything for you involving the areas of the sale that are most problematic for high-scam, high-value items like vintage Lego sets.

Proving delivery is not difficult. Save your SC fee payment for when it's required, over $750.

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

HI!

I would have asked you NOT to require my signature.  Since they did not they should NOT be upset about it.

Message 9 of 51
latest reply

I think it has been a great deterrent for us - with Fedex and UPS, we have adult signature required and if over $500, we have that individual that ordered, sign for the item.

It is stated twice in the listing - all caps and underlined.

This is the first time I can ever remember a buyer complaining - and we offered to have UPS work with them on delivery, accommodate their schedule.

They just do not want to sign for the item they ordered.  To us as a Seller, that is a red flag.  Even on AZ, they are requiring signature on items over a certain value and today we signed for a $140 order with Pandora.  

And don't worry - it is not MY money being used for the Sig Confirmation.  For orders like these, it is built right into the handling fee.

Posting ID Only.......
Message 10 of 51
latest reply

Of course, we can't see the listing, so . . .

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

Buyer may or may not have a valid issue. Obviously I cannot see the listing so not sure if you forewarned the buyer that a signature would be required at delivery. If you did not sure what they have to be upset about. At some point after xx number of failed delivery attempts the carrier will probably return the item to you as undeliverable. 

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Yes, it is stated in the listing that signature confirmation WILL be REQUIRED

In that case, they really have no right to be complaining about it. They knew what they were getting into when they bought.

Message 13 of 51
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

While I don't like the idea of going to the post office to sign for stuff... with high value things that could get stolen (like my $2000 shipment from France, or my many shipments from my USA supplier), I would prefer they not be left at my house if I happen to have gone into work that day. I use my PO Box for the purpose of getting expensive stuff routed, but some of my suppliers require a street address and I have no choice but to send things to the house. Canada Post "verbally signed" for that $2000 French package when I wasn't home and it sat outside for hours until I got home. I was incredibly upset to see Canada Post lied and marked it signed for to get out of having to bring it to the post office for pick up. Pure laziness on their part.

See, in a case like that I would simply ask my neighbor (a stay-at-home mom) if she could grab the package and put it in the house for me since we have each others' keys. As a seller, you don't know whether the buyer has arrangements like that with a neighbor or relative. I assume that buyers generally know how safe their own neighborhood is or isn't and make preparations accordingly.

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

I don't care if the buyer "works from home" or not. There is no excuse but laziness for not responding to multiple pickup messages. This entire situation has a big red flag written all over it. And it all boils down to a bad buyer attitude and sheer laziness. 

If the buyer never picks up the item, and when you get the item back from the PO, refund the buyer LESS the shipping you put out. Then exercise your BBL with this buyer's ID. Dust off your hands and carry on.

Many here have been saying that a Sig. Conf. is not required by eBay unless the value is over $700 or so. I have used Sig. Conf. on items as little as $50, if I wanted to make sure the item is safely delivered and I'd otherwise be out more of my COGS on the item than I care to lose because of a buyer scam or porch theft... In over 24 years of selling here, I've never had such a complaint for requiring a Sig. Conf, no matter the value of the transaction... Buyers should be smart enough to know that an expensive item will be coming with Sig. Conf. and be prepared for it. It's not rocket science, especially in this era of increasing theft and scams..

Cheers, Duffy

Message 15 of 51
latest reply