cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could someone tell me if this buyer is a scam?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Oh boy. We have no way of knowing but I can say that as new seller, selling expensive items with the little amount of feedback you have will make you a scammer magnet. 

Why do you suspect your buyer will be a problem?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

because of this message plus only 2 feedbacks

Hello, am ready to purchase this item. it's in Good condition? Picking up isn't a problem i will hire mover to sort that. Have a blessed Day ahead.
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@brebro_8380 

What is it that you are selling? Are you offering local pick up? If you are, meet somewhere you consider a safe meeting place.  Other than your message, there's not much any of us here can tell if they buyer is scammer or not.  

Hope for the best.

Good luck. 

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

the_fancy_fox already gave you some insight on the new seller issues. I would add that since all of your items are local pickup only there is less change of a scam than there is if you were shipping the items. That being said as a new seller read through the eBay process for handling local pickup. It is always best to accept cash if the buyer is paying at pickup but you have to ensure you have sufficient funds in your linked bank account to cover the eBay fees. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/local-pickup?id=4181 

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Possible.

Ebay will be sending that buyer a code. You need that code when the way pick the item up as you need to enter it in your transaction.  

from ebay:

How to arrange a local pickup

After making your purchase, contact the seller to arrange a time and place to collect your item, and agree on how you’ll pay for it.

The seller will let you know which payment methods they accept. In addition to credit card, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or PayPal, you can sometimes pay for local pickup items by internet banking, check, or money order—either beforehand or when you pick up your item. Sellers may also accept cash for local pickup purchases.

*****After you’ve completed your purchase, we’ll send an email with a Local Pickup code (a QR code and a 6 digit code) to your Messages. You can either print off your email or show the seller the message on the app when you collect your item. The seller will scan or enter the code on the eBay app to confirm you’ve picked up your item.******

if they don’t have the code they can claim they never got the item and get their money back. 

you will need to email them and explain
you will need that code when they movers or whoever comes to pick the item up. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Why would you think it is a scam? You offer local pickup. Buyer does not want to waste his time or yours so is asking if it is in good condition. The time to worry about a scam is when you list, not when you sell.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Be wary if the buyer asks you for your personal email. Tell them you only deal through ebay messages. 

Some scammers send fake you’ve been paid messages.   Only deal with them once ebay says you’ve been paid on the ebay site. 

That  plus the code will weed out many scammers but there are still some scams     That even the most experienced sellers can’t stop. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@brebro_8380 wrote:

because of this message plus only 2 feedbacks

Hello, am ready to purchase this item. it's in Good condition? Picking up isn't a problem i will hire mover to sort that. Have a blessed Day ahead.

The "hiring a mover" line seems to be a typical Craigslist scam in which the "mover" or courier brings a (fake) cashier's check for more than the selling price, requests that the overpayment be sent with the courier and allowing you to keep an extra $100 for your inconvenience. 

The check will ultimately bounce, you'll be out the item, the money and the scammer will have pulled a fast one. 

If you do local pickup, follow the ebay procedure! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

The buyer needs to pay the movers - don't fall for a scam if he sends money for you to pay, as that money will be pulled back, eventually.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Anytime that I see a comment that sounds religious or tries to tell the seller that they are a widow or recently widowed or a vet, it's a scammer.    They are trying to get your guard down.   Why don't you sell cheap items and earn feedback and save the pricey items until you have more experience and feedback. You are a scammer magnet.    

Protect yourself. remember , anything that sells for $750.oo or higher MUST have signature confirmation and YOU have to pay for it. 

Ship ONLY to the address in the ebay payment.  MAKE sure that the payment is in MY EBAY before you ship. If the payment is NOT there, the buyer did not pay.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

The OP's listings are items of furniture and are listed with local pickup.  

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

You are a new seller with low feedback, should i take a chance on you, or should i block you only based on your lack of history? Does your new status automatically make you suspicious or a scammer? No, of course not.  Keep in mind that one cannot tell a scammer based solely on a feedback score. More info is needed. But scammers always tip their hand eventually. 

As @coolections stated, the time to worry about risk management is prior to listing, not after. One must decide their risk tolerance before the sale takes place. There is very little that can be done to mitigate one’s risk after listing, or after the sale. If your plan to manage your risk is to just cancel the sale on suspicious buyers, eBay can penalize you for not following thru. Seller-initiated transaction cancellations can earn you serious defects that can downgrade your standing on eBay, and cost you additional fees.

Selling online is risky, and there is no way around that fact.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

the_fancy_fox already gave you some insight on the new seller issues. I would add that since all of your items are local pickup only there is less change of a scam than there is if you were shipping the items.

That's true, although reading that hackneyed, fractured-English writing ("Hello, am ready to purchase this item. it's in Good condition? Picking up isn't a problem i will hire mover to sort that. Have a blessed Day ahead.") looks just like routine, copy-and-paste scam text regardless.

While the buyer claims that he will be hiring the mover, it will not surprise me if there's some kind of later sillybuggers involving their asking the seller to handle some details of the payment to the movers, which will inevitably involve the seller's money in some way.

If the buyer has already paid for the furniture on-line, fine; the only red flag I see so far here is that cliché of a buyer message, with vague questions about its condition. That alone would not lead me to cancel the sale, but I would watch all the future details closely, especially involving making sure that the pickup people have the correct code, and are not asking for any form of payment from the seller.

@brebro_8380 : Please keep us updated on this. Is this a prospective buyer, or someone who has already bought the item? I don't see any sale of yours more recent than February, although I know new sales can sometimes fall off the Search radar for a while before popping up in your Sold items list.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Anytime that I see a comment that sounds religious or tries to tell the seller that they are a widow or recently widowed or a vet, it's a scammer.    They are trying to get your guard down.   Why don't you sell cheap items and earn feedback and save the pricey items until you have more experience and feedback. You are a scammer magnet.    

Protect yourself. remember , anything that sells for $750.oo or higher MUST have signature confirmation and YOU have to pay for it. 

Ship ONLY to the address in the ebay payment.  MAKE sure that the payment is in MY EBAY before you ship. If the payment is NOT there, the buyer did not pay.

If you look at the OP's listing they are not shipping any of the items they have posted it's all local pickup. 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply