cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged Interational Fee because the buyer's registered address is in Mexico.

I only ship to the 48 states.

A buyer purchased an item from me. The item is going to a Texas shipping address. I notice my seller's fee is higher than it should be (more than $0.30 + 12.55% of sales and tax). So I examine more closely. I see the line "Charged Interational Fee because the buyer's registered address is in Mexico."

What is this absolute garbage? I specifically only ship to the 48 states to avoid international fees. Now I am paying one, while shipping to the US, because the buyer has a Mexican address registered to his account (one that I'm not even shipping to)?

This is not right. I kind of feel like fighting it out of principle, even though it's only a few extra cents.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Your paying an international fee because the buyer paid from an international location with a foreign currency.  Welcome to Ebay.  Resistance is futile

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I specifically only ship to the 48 states to avoid international fees. 

@jnjtra 

You ARE shipping to a US address.  Unfortunately, your buyer used a means of payment that is NOT US based and that is why you got the extra charge.  eBay allows international buyers to use freight forwarders in the US, so they can bid or buy from sellers who do not wish to ship internationally.  With PayPal you could block such payments so the buyers couldn't pay.  eBay does not provide that option with their managed payments system. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

There is no fighting it. It is the payment processor and since sellers can not opt out of foreign payments sellers get hit with the fee.

It’s not right that there is no choice or that the buyer doesn’t pay the fee… but it is what it is.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Well, that sucks.

I still contend it's garbage though and not properly explained in their fee structure guide.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@jnjtra wrote:

I still contend it's ... not properly explained in their fee structure guide.

Well, it kind of is ... (link)

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@jnjtra wrote:

Well, that sucks.

I still contend it's garbage though and not properly explained in their fee structure guide.

Were you aware that PayPal always had a similar fee for purchases by any non-US accounts regardless of the ship to address?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@jnjtra 

>What is this absolute garbage?

It gets worse. eBay will still charge the International or Currency Conversion fee even if the non-US based buyer pays in UD$.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

You shipped to a US address, likely a freight forwarder who will ship to your customer.  Or maybe his auntie who will do it as a favour.

But he paid with a Mexican account, a credit card on a Mexican bank.

And while eBay charges 2.9% for US -based credit card payments, they charge 4.4% for international card payments.

If you were to vacation in Mexico, or Germany, or Canada, any merchant taking your US-based credit card would also be charged a premium.

Stop and think a moment.

The difference is about 1.5% of the entire payment (including shipping and TX sales taxes).

Does 1.5% of your payment mean the transaction goes from profitable to a dead loss?

If so your margins are too tight and you need to rethink your business plan.

On the bright side, your responsibility for delivery to the customer ended when the shipment was accepted by the freight forwarder (or the customer's auntie).

BTW-- I'm just a foreigner myself, but doesn't the USA have 50 states?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@jnjtra wrote:

I specifically only ship to the 48 states to avoid international fees. 

You don't ship to Alaska and Hawaii to avoid international shipping fees? 

I'm just the opposite. Because I live in Hawaii, I won't ship to the contiguous 48 states to avoid international shipping fees.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

"I'm just the opposite. Because I live in Hawaii, I won't ship to the contiguous 48 states to avoid international shipping fees."

You are hilarious, and I love your posts!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

welcome to ebay, here we are the law :))

Message 12 of 12
latest reply