cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceled purchase "due to out of stock / damaged item."

I mistakenly listed an item for $0.99. When my real target price was $6.99. Within an hour a buyer purchased the low price listing. I immediately canceled the sale with reason being "Item is out of stock" and refunded the buyer. Now I am thinking will this cause a seller defect? I directed the buyer to my correctly priced listing after canceling and refunding him. It would be ridiculous for me to get a ding on my account over a $0.99, immediately reversed, transaction....

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

If you cancelled out of stock then yes you got a ding on your account.

Be very careful because it only takes a couple to end your account.

Not sure if it is feasable for you, but I have my husband or one of my children look over my listings before they go live.  Sometimes we see what we want to see, and a ffresh pair of eyes are needed to catch those kinds of mistakes.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

@zirkni wrote:

I mistakenly listed an item for $0.99. When my real target price was $6.99. Within an hour a buyer purchased the low price listing. I immediately canceled the sale with reason being "Item is out of stock" and refunded the buyer. Now I am thinking will this cause a seller defect? I directed the buyer to my correctly priced listing after canceling and refunding him. It would be ridiculous for me to get a ding on my account over a $0.99, immediately reversed, transaction....

Why?????

Your buyer would probably disagree especially as you were not actually out of stock but rather simply refused to honor your obligations.

If there was no defect imposed for this it would be like it was many years ago when lots of sellers cancelled sales simply because they didn't get enough money.

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

@zirkni wrote:

It would be ridiculous for me to get a ding on my account over a $0.99, immediately reversed, transaction....

Sellers refusing to honor transactions is EXACTLY why the defects were implemented.

And by the way, the buyer gets to Neg you if they so choose.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 46
latest reply

You earned yourself a defect.  You really need to pay attention when setting your price.  You probably would have been better off taking the $6 loss counting yourself lucky.  Unfortunately, what's done is done.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 46
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

You earned yourself a defect.  You really need to pay attention when setting your price.  You probably would have been better off taking the $6 loss counting yourself lucky.  Unfortunately, what's done is done.

I wish most of my mistakes only cost me $6.

Cheers, C.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

@zirkni wrote:

Yikes, I've done this myself just once and thankfully it was for something low price too. I though decided it was my mistake and not the buyers so I shipped the item. I lost money but it was the right thing to do. Yes, you did get yourself a defect for this. 

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

The only thing that seems "ridiculous" to me is saying it's "ridiculous" to be punished for not honoring your obligation as a seller simply because you failed to verify your listing before submitting it.

Hopefully OP now understands better and will not do this again.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

You annoyed a paying buyer and earned yourself a defect over $6? Hopefully this is your only defect. Below standard sellers have to pay an extra 4% FVF.

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

I would have shipped the item and made up for the $6 mistake with other sales.

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

That 6 bucks you thought you saved is going to cost you way more down the line.

You are going to be farther back in search, probably going to get a neg too.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

@zirkni wrote:

Will you get  a ding on your account?

Yes, yes, you will.  A very serious seller defect, one of the very deadly ones.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Yes, I thought the same thing.  Better off taking the six dollar loss than earning this defect, but you can't go back in time.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

@zirkni wrote:

I directed the buyer to my correctly priced listing after canceling and refunding him.

Ouch.

No, really, OUCH.

You dug yourself a hole by cancelling because you made a mistake, but then to suggest the buyer go to the higher priced listing to buy it?

That has "Neg me, please" written all over it.

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

@zirkni wrote:

A ding on your account and a neg would be well deserved, and you lied about the reason to cancel..

You have shown that your honour is not even worth 6 bucks.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply