cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you list an item for buy it now $0.00?

Instead of throwing out items in the trash, can you give them away by listing them at $0.00?

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

@az93 wrote:

I put things next to a dumpster. It all disappears.

I have been to places that if you leave your vehicle's trunk open while make multiples trips taking your items inside your stuff may disappear in-between the trips.

Message 31 of 43
latest reply

Remember that if you sell it you have to pay for boxes and shipping materials. Make sure you cover that some way. Best to just donate it imho. 

Message 32 of 43
latest reply

@scott-vf wrote:

why would I have to pay for return shipping when they could just get rid of it (donate it or throw it away) Since they didn't pay for it.

I think they are telling you things that could go wrong just so you know.  Anyone who wanted you items I am sure would be willing to pay for the shipping and if they wanted the items it would be unlikely they would want to return anything.  Just know that eBay is going to charge their fees on all money that goes thru them.  So make sure to include 13.25% additional into the shipping.  

Message 33 of 43
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

a new feature of the American roadside are what appear to be yard sales are actually freebie tables -  giving stuff away on the edge of the property.

Great sourcing opportunities. 

I have a trailer I just hook up to my bike and cruise around locally and 'curb' surf (we actually don't have curbs here). We also used to have an ever-renewing junk pile along the side of a road south of me. There would be some of us hustling around it with our bikes and trailers seeing what we could find, people walking by would poke around - then the city said our junk pile was a fire hazard and got rid of it. It sat in front of an apartment building where I'm positive people kept chickens on their balconies - one had a rooster.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 34 of 43
latest reply

Donate!!, Best Thing To Do & A Tax Right Off!

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

@scott-vf wrote:

You only get fees if you list 250 item or more. I don't list that much. and why would the person want to ship it back when they could just get rid of it (donate or throw it away) After all they didn't pay anything to get it.

Have you read ebays fee structure? You are wrong if you think you wont owe fees. The LISTING fee is waived for the first 250 listing a month.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822&st=3&pos=1&query=Sellin...

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 36 of 43
latest reply

If it were me, I would list the item for the cost of fees & charge postage and break even. Why go in the hole?

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

I have seen it mentioned about donations and take a Tax Write Off?

How does that work with a Tax Write Off?

You are only allowed a $300 deduction for charitable deduction without itemizing and I believe that may have been raised to $600.  After this you have to itemize to justify your donation deduction.

I have never use a donation as a Tax Write Off.  The standard deduction for a married couple for 2023 is $27,700.  I would have to donate over $27,000 of items (at their fair market value) before anything would start to be deductible.  What is the fair market value of used furniture, clothing, toys and so on?  It is a fraction of the cost of new stuff.  To get to $27,000 would be an awful lot of fair market value stuff.

To claim this amount of stuff I would think you will need some very good records for your IRS Audit.

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

Personally I will only sell very inexpensive items if the shipping is really easy. Otherwise donate them or leave on the curb. The one thing I can never understand is people who sell really cheap items on FB marketplace for pick up. Cannot imagine waiting around for someone to maybe show up for a $3 item. When someone low balls me in FB I usually think I would rather donate it then sell it for next to nothing

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

When I give away stuff that is all I do.  I do not try to get some kind of a tax advantage from the giveaway.

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

My wife had this tin can listed on a local internet yard sale site for over 5 years.  Some one made an appointment to come over and purchase it for 50 cents.  I had forgot all about it until I received a eMail.

stephenmorgan_0-1695360915002.png

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

OP had a fun question! Reminds me of someone who once posted saying that she had lost 20 lb, and wondered if she put all of her clothes into the washer on hot and shrank them, would she not have to buy new clothes?

All kinds of speculation as to what would happen to her clothes doing that. Mostly that she might end up with pants that went up over her shins and shirts with sleeves that only came to her elbows, but one never knew. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 42 of 43
latest reply

This is a wind up, right, good one 😄😄😄😄😄

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 43 of 43
latest reply