cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send the package (UPS's fault), what should I tell to buyer?

Hello!

I'm trying to send a 100lbs package which UPS claimed that they can pickup and send and now they can't pick it up. I can't do it myself and hiring a service to bring it to the UPS store will cost the amount I receive from this sale.

The buyer is waiting and I can't fix UPS. 

What should I do?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Did they say why they can't do a pickup?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I've sent a 100lb package through UPS Ground before. They picked it up and delivered it. They also destroyed it and I had to buy a new hub ($$$) for the wheel afterwards to keep my buyer happy. I now know UPS people don't pay attention to "this side up" labels either. Had they paid attention to that nothing would have been damaged. Let's just slide this heavy box around on it's side and not care if what's inside it gets damaged. I hate UPS.

Before anyone asks, it was easier to buy a new hub for the wheel than deal with a claim. The buyer was happy with how everything turned out. 

I avoid using UPS whenever possible. The people that load the trucks are idiots, which has been confirmed by some of our delivery drivers. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Call FedEx. Or simply ask a nearby business if they will include your package in their daily outgoing UPS or FedEx packages. Or maybe a neighbor would be willing to take the box where it needs to go.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

FedEx Home Delivery Service has a 70# weight limit.

FedEx Ground has a 150# weight limit.

Pretty sure that on the delivery end FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery are completely different services with different drivers and trucks (at least  in some cases) but do not know whether that is the case on the pickup end (I never do pickup - always dropoff).

There is no way to ship FedEx Ground to a residential address via eBay labels - buyer's residential address can't be changed to commercial* and Ground Service isn't even offered then.

*unless I'm the only one seeing the residential checkbox checked and always grayed out these days on the eBay label flow.

Tested with a 104# pkg at FedEx.com through my account, it was fine with it and automatically changed it to FedEx Ground which allows up to 150# and will deliver to residential for a slightly higher residential surcharge.  Was also fine with a scheduled residential pickup. (surprisingly only approx $65 total from Norcal to Arizona even with added $11 Addl Handling SC for being over 70#)

Have no idea if can be done via phone or at a FedEx counter with the pickup complication.

Didn't find anything like that for UPS, and even though UPS and FedEx are usually so similar, believe UPS may not have a 70# residential limit since UPS doesn't have seperate trucks or drivers per se for residential vs commercial.

One thing I did note from the UPS Service Guide is that a UPS "heavy package" sticker is required for all UPS pkgs over 70# and shipper must obtain and apply it next to the address label.

It is unclear why UPS refused pickup.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@mcguire-hd wrote:

I've sent a 100lb package through UPS Ground before. They picked it up and delivered it. They also destroyed it and I had to buy a new hub ($$$) for the wheel afterwards to keep my buyer happy. I now know UPS people don't pay attention to "this side up" labels either. Had they paid attention to that nothing would have been damaged. Let's just slide this heavy box around on it's side and not care if what's inside it gets damaged. I hate UPS.

Before anyone asks, it was easier to buy a new hub for the wheel than deal with a claim. The buyer was happy with how everything turned out. 

I avoid using UPS whenever possible. The people that load the trucks are idiots, which has been confirmed by some of our delivery drivers. 

There have been bad situations had by many here whether it be USPS, UPS or Fed EX. Sorry for your experience - but knowing some of those idiot people that load the trucks - I know how hard they work and how seriously they take their job as the rules they have to follow are very stringent. Do mistakes happen - yes - is someone going to mess up - yes to that to - no one is perfect and it's unfortunate when it happens for both the seller and buyer - but we don't live in Shangra La where everything is perfect.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

UPS does not guarantee pickup on packages regardless of weight or size. They will ship it though. How hard would it be to drive the package to a customer counter (not a UPS Store)?

I live in a big enough city that it's a 2-mile trip for me. But if you're out in the sticks it may be a bit of a shlep.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply