cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't sell due to my number being voip?

So I signed up eBay using my telephone number and now going through the process of wanting to sell something on eBay I was blocked due to my number being VoIP. Then the rep tells me that I can purchase things on eBay having the VoIP number but I can't sell anything on the platform. Where I'm confused I guess is where for security purposes eBay sent me Verification codes to the exact number I signed up with and verified me but blocks me at the same time because I can't be verified according to the eBay rep. Can someone please enlighten me where I can't be verified due to my number but they sent me verification codes to my number.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

devon@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

Any suggestions for people using VoIP phones who want to sell on eBay? Thanks!

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

devon@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

Hey @pburn! When it comes to us being able to verify phone numbers for selling, we only allow SMS enabled numbers in order to verify ownership of a selling account. This means that members have to use mobile numbers from a cell phone carrier to begin selling.

Devon,
eBay
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@pburn wrote:

devon@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

Hey @pburn! When it comes to us being able to verify phone numbers for selling, we only allow SMS enabled numbers in order to verify ownership of a selling account. This means that members have to use mobile numbers from a cell phone carrier to begin selling.

Devon ... Devon ... Devon .... that is insane! Do you not realize that not everyone has a cellphone? Not everyone lives in an area where a cellphone even works? If I want to use my old nasty flip phone to make a call I have to go outside into the horse pasture, find a little hill, hold the phone up in the air and hope and pray I can get ONE BAR to make a call. So that old nasty flip phone stays in my purse, turned off and only used in dire emergencies while out on the road. I am a seller and eBay only has my landline phone number because I have no other to give you in spite of the fact that you keep bombarding me with a popup to scan a QR code every time I go to the home page or sometimes keep insisting I add my mobile number if I'm forced to sign in again and again.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Do you not realize that not everyone has a cellphone? Not everyone lives in an area where a cellphone even works?

You are not alone.

People without electricity or an internet connection have trouble using eBay too. And eBay does very little to help them either.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

devon@ebay   I have VOIP phones as do many others I know that sell on ebay.  Never was a problem in the past.  So now you are saying the VOIP phone has to receive SMS?   Although many do, many do not, so does that now mean none of those users can sell on ebay?  Ebay can't just call with the verification code like other venues do?

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

eBay already requires access to sellers' bank accounts. Isn't that enough "to verify ownership of a selling account?"

What next, forced DNA samples?

P.S. No cellphone here, either.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

devon@ebay   I have VOIP phones as do many others I know that sell on ebay.  Never was a problem in the past.  So now you are saying the VOIP phone has to receive SMS?   Although many do, many do not, so does that now mean none of those users can sell on ebay?  Ebay can't just call with the verification code like other venues do?

@rfmtm In the past sellers were able to use VoIP numbers to register for a selling account and will still be able to sell. For any new sellers they will be required to have a mobile phone number to verify in order to sell. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

devon@ebay  What if the VOIP phone can receive SMS text messages for the authentication?   That is what I use on numerous other websites. 

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

devon@ebay  What if the VOIP phone can receive SMS text messages for the authentication?   That is what I use on numerous other websites. 

@rfmtm For accounts that are being used for buying only that will work. For accounts that are wanting to sell we can only have them verified through mobile numbers that receives SMS. We no longer use VoIP numbers for verification for selling accounts. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

So does that mean eBay is ASSUMING everyone has a cellphone and has good enough cell service to use it? We all know what happens when you ASSUME.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

So does that mean eBay is ASSUMING everyone has a cellphone and has good enough cell service to use it? We all know what happens when you ASSUME.

I would venture to guess that these days 99% of people have a cellphone, even if it's just a cheap prepaid one. Let's put it this way: I know a great number of people who do not have a landline phone. I don't know a single person who doesn't have a cellphone-- the people I know have either a cellphone and a landline or a cellphone in place of a landline. I don't know anyone who only has a landline and NOT a cellphone as well.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@rfmtm wrote:

@rfmtm For accounts that are being used for buying only that will work. For accounts that are wanting to sell we can only have them verified through mobile numbers that receives SMS. We no longer use VoIP numbers for verification for selling accounts. 

Hello devon@ebay 

For these types of newly implemented policies like  use mobile numbers from a cell phone carrier to begin selling  are they officially declared anywhere in help? I have run across this a few times for 2 step verification.  I do not own a cell phone due to severe arthritis. Voice command is a non starter. Many others are in similar situations. Being a long time seller would I be able to create a new account without a cell phone? Sounds like a policy implemented without grasping the negative ramifications!!!

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

@readabouthorses 

Other half has a cell but account was registered in my name using a landline which we still use along with an AOL email address. 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

devon@ebay 

For any new sellers they will be required to have a mobile phone number to verify in order to sell. 

What alternatives do you have for those of us with landlines?
Surely a landline, which is anchored to a physical address is more verifiable than a wandering machine run off a cloud?
I fully understand why a VoIP number would not be verifiable, but how about passports? driving licenses? firearm licenses?

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@rfmtm wrote:

How does that make sense since anyone can buy a prepaid SIM card with no proof of ID, yet to sell, people have to provide their bank account info (which usually goes through a strict ID verification process), and eventually SSN?

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 15 of 30
latest reply