cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't list motorcycle tshirt because it has the word Indian

Trying to list tshirts - one is an Indian Chief motorcycle - and I get this -see attached.

No way to bypass it - no OK to click, nothing. I had to go back a screen and start over.  Changed the title and description to India Chief and it let me list it - then I updated the listing to correct it.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Good grief Smiley Frustrated

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

There are over 17,000 listings for Indian Motorcycle shirts on here.    Something is really weird.   Did you use the word motorcycle also?

Maybe that would help.  Also you might have to change the way the words are placed.

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Trying to list tshirts - one is an Indian Chief motorcycle - and I get this -see attached.

Indian is a highly regarded motor cycle brand brought back to life.

I guess they have to change the name to Native American Chief.

Or they should change their mascot to Mahatma Gandi.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

@toooldtorock wrote:

Indian is a highly regarded motor cycle brand brought back to life.

I guess they have to change the name to Native American Chief.

Or they should change their mascot to Mahatma Gandi.

And if you search for  Indian Motorcycle, you get quite a few listings here.

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

I don't know, but have you tried to use quotes or parenthesis or even an asterisk on each end of the word Indian? *Indian*, "Indian" or (Indian)... Maybe hyphenate it - vintage Indian-Motorcycle Tee shirt. Good luck. 

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@4hearts wrote:

Changed the title and description to India Chief and it let me list it - then I updated the listing to correct it.

So you actually *were* able to list it. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

It doesn't matter if she was able to list it. She had to do a work around which took more time and effort to list (which is lost money) for something that is obviously being picked up incorrectly by Bots who have no clue. And getting a notice like that could have also put her on the ebay radar that she has tried to do something wrong. JMO 

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

It doesn't matter if she was able to list it. She had to do a work around which took more time and effort to list (which is lost money) for something that is obviously being picked up incorrectly by Bots who have no clue.

@abfabvintage 

Neither Ebay, nor bots know what type Indian it is. Sometimes there has to be a workaround. A few minutes of time isn't that costly as you make it out to be.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Shows the insanity that is ebay's artificial intelligence. When AI overrides common sense and human discernment, we are all in trouble.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

I had an item removed on another site that used the word Indian - these sites are PC compliant.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

I have a few vintage patio/squaw dresses to list.... wonder if I’ll have a problem?

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@4hearts wrote:

No way to bypass it - no OK to click, nothing. I had to go back a screen and start over.  Changed the title and description to India Chief and it let me list it - then I updated the listing to correct it.

were you able to scroll down to the bottom of that pop-up message?

I get that warning when trying to list postcards of locations with the word Indian, or maps of locations with the word Indian, for example.  But I can scroll to the bottom of the message where there are options to either EDIT or CONTINUE LISTING.  It shouldn't be a complete block to submit the listing.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

I had an item removed on another site that used the word Indian - these sites are PC compliant.

Obviously! Perhaps the "politically correct"  crowd should campaign to ban Indian Motorcycles as well as all mention of "Indians" from India! Until then, ebay sellers like this get harassed at random by AI nonsense!

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

If you read the message in that warning, you will see that it is not political correctness.  It is a legal issue in some categories. 

It's kind of analogous to copyright infringements to use terms like Indian or Native American to describe some items without specific proof that they really are.

eBay just kicks that warning out when the word Indian shows up, and leaves it up to the seller to decide if the warning applies to what they are listing.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply