cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain why this is happening with the search function?

Okay, as an experiment, I just did two searches, basically for the same exact thing.

The first search was a search on "antique seashell frame" (without the quotes) and with 'From preferred US locations only' selected in the advanced search function. Seashell was one word.

The second search was for "antique sea shell frame" (without the quotes again) and with 'From preferred US locations only' selected in the advanced search function again. In this search, sea shell was two words.

The first search with seashell as one word gave me 24 hits.

The second search with sea shell as two words gave me 37 hits and included all the hits that came up with the hits of the first search as well as 13 extra hits. It covered sea shells in two words and also listings that had seashells as one word. The other search also covered sea shells and seashells listings but not nearly as many hits.

So obviously it's better to list with sea shell as two words rather than one, but here's the thing I can't figure out:

In the second search, the one with sea shell as two words, one of the hits is a listing with seashell as one word. It's the one where they want $3,000 for it. However, in the first search, the one searching with seashell as one word, that same listing doesn't pop us a hit even though it should because the search is for seashell as one word. Why did that listing pop up for the search with sea shell as two words but not for the search with seashell as one word?

I also can't figure out why some of the other hits didn't show up for the search with  seashell as one word when they should have.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Ebays search engine has been broken since the September update. But they wont admit it. And who cares if they do??

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@reallyhardtofind wrote:

Ebays search engine has been broken since the September update. But they wont admit it. And who cares if they do??

That could be it because I could find no reason for those two searches to be throwing out the hits in such different manners. Thing is, someone searching to buy something might never even see certain items that they should be seeing in their search. Unfortunate.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I also can't figure out why some of the other hits didn't show up for the search with  seashell as one word when they should have.

@adkhighker 

Another thing to consider when using the ebay search feature, that even though you initially select "all categories" (or think you are looking at results for all categories, it has a tendency to push you into a category (one that has produced the most sales) sort of surreptitiously and will only display the items in that category (that they selected for you) .  It is sort of hard to explain unless you are 'looking for it' and re-select ALL Categories.  

I have also observed that the results are also not big on being consistent with plural forms  i.e. shell vs shells.  As soon as you think you figured it out they tweak it again. LOL. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It appears your first seashell search is directed to the following category:

Antiques > Decorative Arts > Picture Frames

The second sea shell search is directed to the following more general category:

Antiques

eBay often steers searches into a particular category based on the keywords used. eBay also makes keyword substitutions based on data from past searches and which items users actually purchased after making such searches.

As a seller, if you want your item to appear in a particular search, you should try the search yourself to see if the search is directed into one of those categories; if so, you will need to list your item in that category in order to appear in that search by default.

When searching there are ways to get around eBay's automatic category navigation, but many users searching do not know or bother.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

It appears your first seashell search is directed to the following category:

Antiques > Decorative Arts > Picture Frames

The second sea shell search is directed to the following more general category:

Antiques

eBay often steers searches into a particular category based on the keywords used. eBay also makes keyword substitutions based on data from past searches and which items users actually purchased after making such searches.

As a seller, if you want your item to appear in a particular search, you should try the search yourself to see if the search is directed into one of those categories; if so, you will need to list your item in that category in order to appear in that search by default.

When searching there are ways to get around eBay's automatic category navigation, but many users searching do not know or bother.

Okay, now that is interesting. You are right. Even though I have "all categories" selected in the advance search, the search with sea shells is getting hits from several different categories, while the search with seashells is getting hits only in the picture frames category, just as you mentioned.  Just when you think it can't get any more complicated than it already is, it gets even more confusing. Only on eBay, lol.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply