cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer pay less than the listed price???

I have a new store, a few items listed and have been selling ok. Today, I get a sale and the buyer paid only $1.00 for a $34.24 item? How is that possible? It was not an auction. The price for this item has never been and still isn't $1.00. The buyer now is demanding that I make it right since I cancelled the order on them. I want to know how this happened and how can I get some help with this. I don't want to get negative feedback on something that was not my fault. 

Please help

Thank you

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

@sin-n-dex 

Who knows..I was just throwing that out there . I use PLS myself.
The OP doesn't seem willing to post a screen shot. So I really have a hard time buying the story.

Perhaps it made the OP feel better about cancelling the transaction by saying the buyer paid way less than listed price. If the sale was actually cancelled...we will never know for sure. 
Terapeak shows the item sold for $34.25. The OPs sold items shows it sold for $34.25.

Message 16 of 71
latest reply

@havenofgold wrote:

The order says that it sold for $1.00. What other details can I give you so that I can understand how this happened? My first thought was that this had to be some sort of glitch. I've run other stores for my day job, lol, so besides some of the updates, it reads the same. $1.00 was paid and $1.00 was refunded. We tried to call eBay to speak with someone today, but no one answers. I just want to know so that if it was something that we did, that we correct it. What's also weird is all of the other coins that we've been selling have had no issues. Does eBay randomly make offers without our approval? There's no Best Offer on this listing either. Thank you for all of your help 😄

Can you share screen shots?

I believe you, I think you made a mistake when sending out an offer. It's also possible offers were enabled automatically on that item (by having set it up at some point before, but I think you intended $1 off, not to pay $1 for the item).

It's also possible you intended to do something like an offer for $31 and the 3 never showed up on the offer screen. We've seen screen shots of the offer going out not being what the seller put in. This happened to me where a buyer bought a coin for $3 and it was supposed to be a $30 offer. (Then I got a tirade about how I'm the best seller in the world for selling an ounce of silver to him for $3, he even went on to tell me he bought from me many times, but my history search revealed this was the first sale).

C.

Message 17 of 71
latest reply

I'm just wondering if you used the sell similar option to create the listing? Sometimes ebay populates fields or you accidentally do it and never notice it. I've done that a few times. I know I've mailed out at least one item that had the wrong price on it. Better to just eat the cost sometimes than to cancel a sale and start your journey toward defects. I have no other explanation for you. So sorry it happened. 

Message 18 of 71
latest reply

How do I attach a photo to this thread? The message says that I do not have permission to upload images

Message 19 of 71
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

@sin-n-dex 

Who knows..I was just throwing that out there . I use PLS myself.
The OP doesn't seem willing to post a screen shot. So I really have a hard time buying the story.

Perhaps it made the OP feel better about cancelling the transaction by saying the buyer paid way less than listed price. If the sale was actually cancelled...we will never know for sure. 
Terapeak shows the item sold for $34.25. The OPs sold items shows it sold for $34.25.

I checked Terapeak, I don't really know how it works or what it shows. The solds will show the list price but not the price if the seller sends a buyer an offer (hence my theory on what might have happened). I believe the buyer's story based on my theory on how this could happen (and be unable to prove to us that it did, short of posting a screen shot).

I also believe if the OP got the price they asked for, for the coin, as it shows in solds, they wouldn't have cancelled. They have several available, so I wouldn't buy the Out of Stock with several of them still listed.

C.

Message 20 of 71
latest reply

@havenofgold wrote:

How do I attach a photo to this thread? The message says that I do not have permission to upload images

You can copy and paste it into the body of the message. Use Snipping Tool on your PC to screen shot the part you want us to see (omitting the buyer's info, snippit will allow you to block out anything we shouldn't see), and copy and paste it into the message.

C.

Message 21 of 71
latest reply

@havenofgold wrote:

How could I have sent this buyer an offer without knowing them or having contact with them prior? I'm sorry for my dumb question, I'm just really confused as to the why and how

If it's an anonymous offer it will show up in "available for offer" and you send it from there. Some random person received it. You have lots of people watching your listings, so it's likely one person received the offer and purchased. You wouldn't necessarily know them in advance.

C.

Message 22 of 71
latest reply

@havenofgold 

sinndex_0-1713318122331.png

You can see it in your seller hub like this.

C.

Message 23 of 71
latest reply

When you post there's a camera icon at the top of the message box. 
IMG_1597.jpeg

Message 24 of 71
latest reply

@sin-n-dex 

This is what I see

IMG_1598.png

Message 25 of 71
latest reply

Actually, it happened to me about 3 weeks ago, an item sold for $11, and I thought I had it priced at $39, I would never list it for $11, no offers accepted or sent, I thought I was going crazy, so I let it go and took the loss.

Message 26 of 71
latest reply

@havenofgold wrote:

How could I have sent this buyer an offer without knowing them or having contact with them prior? I'm sorry for my dumb question, I'm just really confused as to the why and how

Okay first of all do you use the "Send offer" feature?  The feature popup looks like this:

Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 8.50.46 PM.png

I'm guessing maybe 'no' because if you used it you would probably know that you can't see who it's going to (no buyer names, only how many buyers will receive it).  

But if YES you do use it, then Sin's theory is very good (and I can show you how to find out if what she's describing is what happened with your sale).  If NO, then we're back to the drawing board. 

Message 27 of 71
latest reply

Can you see this? I'm having issues today 😞

Screenshot_20240416_204709_eBay

Message 28 of 71
latest reply

Sorry, no.  This is what I see

Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 8.58.34 PM.png

But hang on, we might not need to see any screenshots.  Can you answer my question ^ (message 27)?  

Message 29 of 71
latest reply

It maybe the Poster is looking at his  payment summary and $1.00 is all that is left after ebay's various deductions and free free shipping to who know where.

CDM Antiques
Message 30 of 71
latest reply