cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CEO Backing Higher listing prices.

Just read where CEO for eBay is backing higher listing prices.  I say hip, hip hooray!  I am starting to up my prices with new listings.  I just don't see how folks starting at .99 can do it and it harms those of us who are trying to support families.

Message 1 of 111
latest reply
110 REPLIES 110

I've never let the CEO set my prices, so it's a non-issue for me. Good luck to you!

Message 2 of 111
latest reply

Well, if this slows eBay's pressure to race to the bottom, then that's good news.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 111
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

I've never let the CEO set my prices, so it's a non-issue for me. Good luck to you!

Similar to eBay ever so not politely implying that shipping "Needs to be" tracked. What works for some sellers does not work for all!!

-Lotz

Message 4 of 111
latest reply

Other than jawboning, I can't imagine any concrete steps the CEO could take to encourage higher prices.   So the whole thing is a non-issue.

Message 5 of 111
latest reply

The higher the price, the higher the final value fee = more $$$ for the eBay CEO.

The CEO isn't concerned about eBay's sellers or buyers -- and he's definitely not concerned about what "harms those of us who are trying to support families."  

Message 6 of 111
latest reply

It sounds like they're looking to actually up merchandise price point rather than spending a lot of resources on low dollar transactions, and also attract more repeat buyers. 

"eBay CEO Jamie Iannone said low value buyers represent 50% of all buyers on eBay, but only account for 5% of GMV (sales). Conversely, high value buyers represent 20% of eBay buyers and account for 75% of GMV (sales).

That's why eBay has been changing its approach to buyers, no longer investing in marketing to attract "one-and-done" buyers. That likely explains why eBay is adding luxury handbags to its vertical approach, where it concentrates heavily on a few categories (sneakers, luxury watches, trading cards), introducing services such as authentication."

Ina Steiner's blog

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 111
latest reply

Yes, let's throw the baby out with the bath water.  Great idea.  When sales are slow, raise prices, that will surely attract more buyers.  

Message 8 of 111
latest reply

not sure what to say in regards to pricing but I think you have enough items listed

my golden rule says you need to sell 10 % per month or your prices are too high

I think you shoud have 1000 sales a month or 3000 a quarter

I am not sure it woud kill you to put some money up for 99 cents and see what happens...... a few loss leaders might draw some new blood to your sales

with all your merchandise you shoud be getting repeat buyers every single day

this race to the bottom stuff is for the birds......what does it even mean

better than a race to the top of a big pile of unsold stuff

please do not let that happen to  me

good luck

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 9 of 111
latest reply

@collectiblesdelectables 

Can you link us to what you read?  Searched for it and came up empty.  Thx!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 10 of 111
latest reply

Nope, he didn't actually say that. He was talking about placing more emphasis on attracting ,and retaining, buyers who spend more, and turning low spend buyers into higher spending buyers. 

Message 11 of 111
latest reply

Can you please share a link?  Would like to peruse....thanks!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 12 of 111
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

It sounds like they're looking to actually up merchandise price point rather than spending a lot of resources on low dollar transactions, and also attract more repeat buyers. 

"eBay CEO Jamie Iannone said low value buyers represent 50% of all buyers on eBay, but only account for 5% of GMV (sales). Conversely, high value buyers represent 20% of eBay buyers and account for 75% of GMV (sales).

That's why eBay has been changing its approach to buyers, no longer investing in marketing to attract "one-and-done" buyers. That likely explains why eBay is adding luxury handbags to its vertical approach, where it concentrates heavily on a few categories (sneakers, luxury watches, trading cards), introducing services such as authentication."

Ina Steiner's blog

I am really curious what the breaking point is between low and high value?

I have no issue with higher listing fees, although this quite contrary to eBay's more recent lets give everyone oodles and oodles of free listings approach that seems to emphasize quantity over quality.  I actually think there are too many items on eBay and if a fee made people think twice about posting I am ok. As long as the fee is reasonable. Most of my items sell for $100+ so a small listing fee isn't going to impact me.

Also, the labeling here is bad. Does anyone want to be called a "low value" buyer? What does that mean? Is that the total of what I buy or the highest price I ever paid for something.  Is the goal to get people to buy more overall or just more pricey items? I would be much more interested in eBay saying we are going to work on upping sell through rates for sellers. We want to help sellers turn over more inventory more quickly. 

Again, I wonder what eBay is trying to become. Just going after luxury buyers is a cop out and a recipe for failure in the future.  There are a million sites out there where you can buy full retail if you so choose. 

Message 14 of 111
latest reply

Thank you.  I was searching on e-Bay announcements, etc.  Did not realize it was on Ina's site.

eBay defines high value buyers as those who sell; who purchase at least six days a year; or who spend over $800, Priest explained.

The above is from Ina's article.  So they are counting all Sellers as "buyers"?  I would not think purchases of 6 days a year is all that much or even $800.

Am I the only one who finds this statement curious?

Posting ID Only.......
Message 15 of 111
latest reply