cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wins an auction, then tells me the next day that he 'never bid on it' and it was all a mistake

I've only been doing this a year and don't sell alot of items, but- with all due respects to the buyer - I have wonder how it came about that a guy that lives 1500 miles away from me puts not just one but two bids on a "local pick-up only" item;  then, after winning the auction, sends me a message indicating that while very sorry, he never bid on it, doesn't want it, and has no idea how it wound up in his shopping cart. I appreciate him coming forward promptly so I could resolve it, get the credit for my final value fee, and resist, but I'm confused as to how such a thing could occur. Two options seem to present themselves: 1) unbeknownst to him someone logged into his account, researched and found my item, and bid on it twice - a day apart, or 2) he actually did bid on it then changed his mind. Other options undoubtedly exist as well. Has anyone encountered a similar situation? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Buyer wins an auction, then tells me the next day that he 'never bid on it' and it was all a mistake

It's no doubt #2.

So you have two options:

1. Let the bidder off the hook and cancel the transaction "at the buyer's request."

2. File an Unpaid Item Dispute. I'd consider this one just for the fact that the buyer must think you're naive enough to believe s/he didn't bid on it. Twice. S/he may deserve a UID just for insulting your intelligence. (Kidding/Not Kidding.)

There are pros and cons to each of your options, and only you can decide what to do.

Oh, yeah, and don't forget to put that member id on your Blocked Buyers List so s/he can't "not bid" on any of your listings in the future.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

It happens frequently.

some of the more common reasons:

- the cat bid on it

- drunken blackout bids

- changed mind bids

- a child bid

- pathological liar bids

- the dead uncle's ghost bid

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Don't forget the

did not leave the page before putting phone in pocket

pocket bid (twice)

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the replies. I did send the buyer a message kindly asking him how is it that he wound up mistakenly bidding not once but TWICE on the item? Then sent another message asking him that he might want to check into whether or not someone has access to his eBay account, etc. Also mentioned that if he finds out more about how the bids may have been 'accidentally' placed, I'd be interested to hear about that too....'  

Thanks also for the suggestion to block this buyer. Probably good idea. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Does anyone know for sure what the current policy is in eBay MOTORS on refunding the SUCCESSFUL LISTING FEE if the buyer doesn't pay?

The current policy is silent on the matter except to say that the fee is charged if there is a bid or BIN on the vehicle

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/motors-fees?id=4127#vehicle-price

The last time I looked (2016) the text said explicitly:  See this link where I quoted it here in the Community)

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/Buyer-and-I-ve-seen-my-share-LOL/m-p/25423445#M744142

There's no additional fee charged on the actual sale of the vehicle after it sells. However, you'll be charged a successful listing fee regardless of whether you carry out the sale with the buyer.

But that language is absent right now and although it was taken directly from the eBay policy at the time, it was met with disagreement. Rather contemptuous disagreement, as a matter of fact from someone who claimed to be in the know. 

When you cancel your sale, check your account to see if the Successful listing fee ($60 for sale of $2000 or less and $125 for sale of over $2,000) was actually credited back to your eBay account.  Find out for sure.

Reminder:  bids on vehicles in eBay Motors are non binding.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@gretschwhtfalcon wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I did send the buyer a message kindly asking him how is it that he wound up mistakenly bidding not once but TWICE on the item? Then sent another message asking him that he might want to check into whether or not someone has access to his eBay account, etc. Also mentioned that if he finds out more about how the bids may have been 'accidentally' placed, I'd be interested to hear about that too....'  

Thanks also for the suggestion to block this buyer. Probably good idea. 

Probably a very good idea to block after asking those questions.

There really isn't anything good that can come out of confronting a buyer like that - no matter how politely it is intended.  It comes across as scolding or sarcasm.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I'm confused by your post. I'm not sure the OP listed anything in eBay Motors . . .

Did I miss something?
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Can't figure out how to block someone. Googling tells to go to selling preferences but I don't see anything like that. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@gretschwhtfalcon wrote:

Can't figure out how to block someone. Googling tells to go to selling preferences but I don't see anything like that. 

you can find many things by using the "help & contact' at the bottom of most pages.

When it opens, type block buyer.

Suggestions will come up.

In seller hub there is a  "block bidder". (or maybe buyer)

block.jpg

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I found it...thanks. 

Muttlymob....yeah...in retrospect I shouldn't have bothered sending anything to him, but it had me a bit miffed - which is probably the reaction he wanted anyway.  Nothing better to do?  A buyer with perfect feedback? 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@pburn wrote:
I'm confused by your post. I'm not sure the OP listed anything in eBay Motors . . .

Did I miss something?

Darned if I know.  Somehow I got the idea in my head that the OP was talking about a vehicle sale.   I declare, I'm losing my marbles.

I think I'll go lie down with a vinegar compress and pretend I'm having the vapours.

Just ignore my posts today.  Hopefully  I'll return tomorrow with both oars in the water.

Apologies to the seller who posted this thread.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

cancel the transaction and move on and relist. doesn't happen often to me but its just not worth the agravation to you. block the bidder as mentioned above.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Since the buyer claims his account was hacked I would file the unpaid item claim.

Once closed the buyer gets a strike on their account and can not leave you negative feedback or if they do.... it can be removed by calling ebay.

After the claim is closed in your favor then tell the buyer to report their account as hacked in the security center at the bottom of the page.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@gretschwhtfalcon wrote:

A buyer with perfect feedback? 

Sellers can't leave anything but positive for buyers, so all buyers have perfect feedback if they don't sell anything.  It's not a good measure of anything other than how much feedback they have received.

About the only indication of problem buyers is in their feedback left for others.  Since buyers can leave negs and neutrals for sellers, if they do leave a lot or leave screaming, nasty comments, it shows they might be a problem child.

The reasons buyers (and sellers) on eBay do lots of things would make for a long-term psychology study.  Would be nice if people would just own up and say, hey, I changed my mind.  Though some of the excuses do provide entertainment.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply