cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants refund, complicated

I bought a wig from a reputable dealer outside of Ebay, it was non-returnable, I didn't like it so I sold it on eBay for £100 (half the price I paid). 2 weeks after buyer received it, I get a message asking for proof of purchase because she didn't think the wig was new. She had also sold it on for £100 as she didn't like it. Her buyer is now saying it's not new, damaged and wants her money back. Where do I stand as my buyer sold it on? Thanks 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Free and clear!

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Hi, thanks for your reply. Do you mean I'm not at liberty to refund my buyer if she tries to return it to me, once she has received it back from her buyer? 

Thanks again

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Hi,
Oh yeah NO, once SHE sold it, you are out of the equation. You have no idea what that wig has been through since it left your hands, so she can't try to return it to you.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Well, if she gets it back from her buyer in time for her to open up a case on you, she could possibly weasel out of the procedures for the Money Back Guarantee.  That depends on if you can prove she sold and shipped it to someone else, or if she mentions in messages that she resold it.  Otherwise, if the MBG time has not expired, she could force a return, due to there being no official evidence that she voided the MBG.  Even then though, a call to eBay if she does open a case could be resolved in your favor if you can show the CSR that she already resold and reshipped it, and they agree with you.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Thank you so much. I've already lost £100 on it, I was worried I'd be down another £100 plus P&P!! 

I really appreciate your help. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

No.  She had her chance when she took ownership of it.  You also have no way of knowing if you'll even get "yours" back, what condition, etc.  Your buyer reassumes their ownership in the item once their buyer returns it.  

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. She clearly stated she had sold it on to another buyer.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Thank you, I have lost sleep over it!!

Your reply is much appreciated.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Great.  As long as that admission was through eBay's own messaging, you should be in the clear.  It may still require a call to ensure it is done right; but in the end you should prevail.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Yes, she stated in Ebay messaging that she was satisfied with the condition in accordance with my listing but it just didn't fit her right, so she sold it on. 

Many thanks again for your help. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Even if she had not admitted reselling and reshipping it then, her reason for a return should also be deniable, as fit issues are considered buyer's remorse (as long as shen did not claim Significantly Not As Described as the reason selected for the return).  On the page for responding to the case, does it give an option to decline the return?

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Since she asked for proof of purchase I would send her a scan of the receipt if you have it to try and help out a fellow seller... good karma.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

On the page for responding to the case, does it give an option to decline the return?

Was a case actually opened on the OP? I thought the buyer just sent messages because their buyer is claiming SNAD? Hopefully OP can advise further.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Hi, yes I sent her a screen shot of the original purchase receipt.

thabks so so much for your reply 🙂

Message 15 of 19
latest reply