cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants me to send check off of ebay

alui-52
Adventurer

I sold an item to a buyer. It got to they’re local post office and supposedly they couldn’t locate it and it took them 4 days to locate it. The item shows as delivered. Today they buyer message me saying they had to pay additional postage somehow and want to be reimbursed. I asked how they want to do this. The reply was I can send them a check or money order outside ebay with the amount. Doesn’t this go against ebay rules?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Dear buyer, you should not have had to pay anything extra to retrieve your package. Please forward me a copy of the receipt that shows the amount you paid and the transaction number. I will then have my post master look into it. I will keep you informed as to what they say and how to get the payment back.

Thank you

if they come back with the package was late and they want free postage, then direct them to contact ebay for the delivery guarantee.

And do not under any circumstances send them a check or money order. The next thing that happens is they claim the item is defective and they get all their money back plus the nice little freebie extra payment. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 23 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Partial refund only through Paypal.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Tell them to send you the receipt showing they paid extra that includes the tracking number.  You should not send money by any means until they do so, and then I would ONLY offer to send it via paypal.

You can also go to your post office and have them verify that the item arrived postage due.  They should be able to look the tracking number and see any adjustments to size, weight, postage.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

DO NOT DO IT

Sounds like a scam. If you bought the postage through eBay, Paypal, or any other online service and underpaid the postage then the post office back charges you. It would never show up as a COD for postage.

If it is an international buyer then the additional fee is customs or import taxes which are not your responsibility.

Demand (OK be polite but nonetheless) demand proof of payment. If you are sure you paid the right postage then report it to eBay as a possible scam.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

If the package arrived postage due there should be documentation.  Ask the buyer to provide you a receipt for the additional postage they paid.  Also all payments need to be processed through eBay. Partial refund payments should never be processed off eBay per their rules.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

That’s what I would do only send payments through PayPal. The tracking doesn’t show any postage due or charge backs though. What should I do if the buyer insists on a check

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

She basically wants me to refund the whole postage for the package which was 7.80$ which i already paid to have it shipped 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote: .... If you bought the postage through eBay, Paypal, or any other online service and underpaid the postage then the post office back charges you. It would never show up as a COD for postage....

Yes, it could.  The APV system doesn't catch everything.  If underpayment is caught by an actual USPS human employee, then it would be Postage Due for the buyer (e.g., if the buyer's PO opens a Media Mail package and finds an ineligible item).

As you and others noted, if the buyer provides proof that they paid extra postage for that tracking number, then the seller should send them the money. But I recommend a partial refund through the original PayPal transaction.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@alui-52 wrote:

She basically wants me to refund the whole postage for the package which was 7.80$ which i already paid to have it shipped 

Well, that makes no sense at all.  You only owe her the amount that she had to pay to ransom the package -- and even then only if she can prove it.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@alui-52 wrote:

I would contact my Post Office (in person) with the tracking number and ask for verification.

If the buyer sent this through eBay messages, contact CS and make sure this is on their radar.  If the buyer did NOT use eBay messages, message the buyer through the order and formally request a copy of the receipt for the additional postage.

Smells like a scam, especially if the "overage" is what you paid for postage. 

Hmmm, did the item have free shipping when listed?  If so did you by chance have the option set that prints the postage amount on the package?

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote: ... did you by chance have the option set that prints the postage amount on the package?

Even if they didn't, the label shows everything that a savvy buyer would need in order to look up the postage paid -- weight, zone, and service.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@alui-52 wrote:

Sounds like the buyer wants to be compensated for a "late" delivery.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote: ... did you by chance have the option set that prints the postage amount on the package?

Even if they didn't, the label shows everything that a savvy buyer would need in order to look up the postage paid -- weight, zone, and service.

Having gone through something similar recently, I was just thinking that some silly ninny of a buyer saw the postage amount now thinks they are owed money because "it was free shipping!"

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Like the others here, I would ask for proof of the extra postage that the BUYER had to pay. They can take a picture of the receipt and send it to you. You had also mentioned that the buyer is requesting to be refunded for the total shipping of $7.80. Why? Are they trying to hold you responsible because the post office couldn't locate the package for 4 days? I don't see how that was your vault. If indeed the buyer had to pay extra postage, after recieving proof, only refund them through Pay Pal.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@alui-52 wrote:

Sounds like the buyer wants to be compensated for a "late" delivery.

ahhh, a much more likely scenario.

Tell them to talk to eBay, maybe eBay will cough up the $5 shipping voucher if it was shipped on time.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply