cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer's Best Offer Note "Free Shipping"

Today a buyer sent me an offer of $22 for a $26 item.  Nearly clicked to accept the offer when, off to the side, I noticed 'free shipping'.  I was only about half awake and surprised I even saw it.  I hastily declined the offer.   

This made me wonder though, so I searched and all I could find were older posts, and even then the jury couldn't come to a definite conclusion.  

What if I hadn't noticed the buyers note for free shipping, and had accepted the offer?

If I would be bound to honor the free shipping:

What if my listing was set up to automatically accept Best Offers of $xx and a buyer included FS as part of the deal?

Would there be away to cancel the sale without getting dinged by ebay?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If you would have accepted the offer, the invoice presented to buyer would have included the original shipping (buyer cannot formally specify any modification to the shipping terms).

If buyer would have paid shipping, and then demanded a refund, you would have solid grounds to cancel the transaction.  Buyer ignored clear direction that a best offer cannot modify shipping terms.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@sg51 wrote:

If you would have accepted the offer, the invoice presented to buyer would have included the original shipping (buyer cannot formally specify any modification to the shipping terms).

If buyer would have paid shipping, and then demanded a refund, you would have solid grounds to cancel the transaction.  Buyer ignored clear direction that a best offer cannot modify shipping terms.

That's pretty straight forward. TY  

If the buyer expected free shipping and I cancelled the sale because of this, would they still be able to leave feedback?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

If the buyer expected free shipping and I cancelled the sale because of this, would they still be able to leave feedback?

Maybe (it depends on the cancel details), but such feedback would be removable.  It's hard to imagine ebay having any sympathy for such a trick.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

When a buyer submits an offer, it's for the price of the item only.

Offers do not have anything to do with the shipping, they pay what shipping charge is shown in the listing.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

As stated you are not bound to the "free shipping" buyer's note.  When I get these I decline the offer and include a note that states "Per eBay, offers cannot include changes to shipping" and link the page where "best offer" is defined.

For quite a while the buyers offer page did not state "Offers are for item price only", but that may have been fixed.  eBay could stop this in a heartbeat with a simple bot that refuses to let a buyer submit an offer with the phrase "free shipping" in the note.  They give us bots that take listings down for the wrong reason, but can't seem to put in a simple one that would solve this headache easily.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

eBay could stop this in a heartbeat with a simple bot that refuses to let a buyer submit an offer with the phrase "free shipping" in the note.  They give us bots that take listings down for the wrong reason, but can't seem to put in a simple one that would solve this headache easily.

Oh, yeah. Great idea. Except when the note says, "Thanks for offering free shipping!" or "I'm glad you offer free shipping." or "I wouldn't have made this purchase without free shipping!" or about a million other references to "free shipping."

It's a perfect example of the law of unintended consequences.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

For quite a while the buyers offer page did not state "Offers are for item price only", but that may have been fixed. 

So I just went to see just what it says, and it doesn't say that any longer.  It does however show that you are offering to pay the full shipping.

offer.jpg

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Whenever I receive offers with free shipping, they are declined. Always a good idea to check if the buyer left a note.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@lacey294 wrote:

What if my listing was set up to automatically accept Best Offers of $xx and a buyer included FS as part of the deal?

That's a non-issue. When the buyer adds a note to seller the offer is not auto-accepted - you have to manually review it.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@lacey294 wrote:

That's a non-issue. When the buyer adds a note to seller the offer is not auto-accepted - you have to manually review it.

You are correct.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-buy-now/adding-best-offer-listing?id=4144 

20200414_151406.jpg

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@lacey294 wrote:

Today a buyer sent me an offer of $22 for a $26 item.  Nearly clicked to accept the offer when, off to the side, I noticed 'free shipping'.  I was only about half awake and surprised I even saw it.  I hastily declined the offer.   

This made me wonder though, so I searched and all I could find were older posts, and even then the jury couldn't come to a definite conclusion.  

What if I hadn't noticed the buyers note for free shipping, and had accepted the offer?

If I would be bound to honor the free shipping:

Would there be away to cancel the sale without getting dinged by ebay?

It is my understanding that If the buyer ads "free shipping" or "I want a free pony" to their  best offer and you manually review the offer and accept then yes you are responsible for the free shipping. I am not sure about the pony.

But the auto accept feature for best offer will not automatically accept a buyers offer if they have included any message within their offer, whether it be "free shipping" or just "Thank you for considering my offer."

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@sg51 wrote:

For quite a while the buyers offer page did not state "Offers are for item price only", but that may have been fixed. 

So I just went to see just what it says, and it doesn't say that any longer.  It does however show that you are offering to pay the full shipping.

offer.jpg

brian@ebay reminder ping.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

And this is where the confusion lies.  Bound or not bound?  

At any rate, if I ever do slip and accidentally accept an offer where the buyer has tried to slip in free shipping I'll just send them a note.  If it gets ugly I'll just cancel the sale, on the grounds "buyer was asking for something...".

What would be really helpful, is if ebay would make all buyer's comments/notes display in bright red text....or is that asking too much? 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@lacey294 wrote:

And this is where the confusion lies.  Bound or not bound?  

At any rate, if I ever do slip and accidentally accept an offer where the buyer has tried to slip in free shipping I'll just send them a note.  If it gets ugly I'll just cancel the sale, on the grounds "buyer was asking for something...".

What would be really helpful, is if ebay would make all buyer's comments/notes display in bright red text....or is that asking too much? 

I agree whole heartedly. A buyer's note within Best Offer should be up front and center as well highlighted.

Along with making sure the buyer's zip code is clearly displayed as this is an important factor when a seller is making their decision as to whether or not to accept, decline, or make a counter offer.

This appears to be a recent issue brought up by another seller in another thread. 

Where did buyer zip code go with offers?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Where-did-buyer-zip-code-go-with-offers/m-p/30849927#M1578364 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply