cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned broken items, eBay won't help.

I sold a set of Nissan Car Speakers on eBay.

Buyer gets them and claims they don't work.

Nonsense, these were my own speakers from my own car, I even tested them once removed.

SO...I call eBay and tell them the buyer is claiming I sold him broken speakers.

Buyer sends them back. Guess what? They are broken.

They are not even the same ones..and the packaging material used was about 1/3rd as much as I used when shipping them, so it's also possible they incurred further damage during the return.

So I call eBay and asked to have the case appealed, they come back and said the buyer is getting to keep the money.

So I called the eBay customer service center and asked to speak to someone higher up, and got in touch with someone from the US (a rare occurence).

Even asked to speak to his superior.

Basically what I'm told...if a buyer returns their own broken item, and keeps yours, they do NOTHING to help.

I told them I could submit photos of the damage, they said "how do we know you didn't alter the photos"?

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF EBAY TAKING THE BUYERS WORD AGAIN AND AGAIN!

WE PAY THE FEES WE PROVIDE EBAY WITH THE $$$ AND IN RETURN WE GET CRAPPED ON!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

So just in case you are wondering.

Can a scammer purchase an item from you, drop it, damage it, or have one already broken and mail it back to you? Yes.

What does eBay do to protect the seller? NOTHING.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Everyday ebay enhances it's reputation as a scammer's paradise.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@bargainsandbaubles wrote:

So just in case you are wondering.

Can a scammer purchase an item from you, drop it, damage it, or have one already broken and mail it back to you? Yes.

What does eBay do to protect the seller? NOTHING.

Ebay does not see the product coming or going.  So in a buyer said/ seller said situation they are going to side with the buyer pretty much every time.

Your story I am sad to say is not unique.  Long time posters read about them every day.

Buyers can send you back their old item, a telephone book, or a rock. 

It is unfortunately part of doing business here.  An there is not much any of us can do about it.

And hence the adage, do not list anything you cannot afford to lose.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I know. There are countless videos on youtube of people getting away with it too.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ebay does not see the product coming or going. 

That is correct.  Therefore, ebay needs to get out of the judge/jury/executioner mode.  So long as ebay can snag your PayPal money, things are not likely to improve.  When buyers have to rely on their credit card companies for redress this sort of thing seems to get less prevelant.  

So long as ebay and the pal can dump the problem of phony SNAD and faulty returns on the seller, they will.   Selling on ebay is not unlike a game of roulette.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but the 'gamble' is always in favor of the house. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

ebay should open a clearing house for returns over a given amount...maybe $100.

Might even make scammers think twice.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply