cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer returned a completely different laptop than was sent - eBay wants me to refund anyway.

The laptop I shipped to the buyer was in pristine conditon. Not a single blemish - like new.

I fully tested and inspected the laptop before shipping it.

Next, the buyer requested a return, stating the laptop arrived damaged - a single crack by one of the air vents. I accepted the return assuming this was shipping damage, and I sent the item fully insured. However, when I received the buyer's return, it was not the same laptop. 

The laptop the buyer returned was in severly used and damaged condition - literally full of scuffs, scratches and food residue all over the inside and screen. Completely dead, no power.

This was very odd, since the buyer claimed he received it DOA and it did not power up.

Next, I flipped the laptop over, and noticed the serial number sticker (on the bottom panel) was peeling off. It was clearly removed and replaced, the color was different and it was curling up ...  the buyer peeled off the serial sticker from my laptop, and placed my serial number sticker on his broken laptop and returned this junk to me. There are air bubbles and dirt under the clear serial sticker from removing and replacing it.

Additionally, a 2nd serial number sticker (with a completely different serial number) was present, curled up and stuck to the bottom panel. I assume this may the original serial number sticker of the junk laptop the buyer returned and it somehow was also stuck back to this incorrect laptop.

Additionally, the model of the laptop I sent to the buyer had a Windows 8.1 PRO sticker attached to the bottom panel. However, the returned laptop had a Windows 8.1 STANDARD sticker attached to the bottom panel.

The buyer already did a sloppy job trying to cover up this switcheroo by making it obvious the serial sticker from my laptop was removed and placed on this broken laptop, he also forgot to make the Windows sticker consistent and returned a laptop with an incorrect Windows sticker (Pro vs Standard). And on top of that he included his original serial number sticker?!

After realizing the buyer had switched the laptop by placing the serial number sticker from my laptop on this damaged laptop, I decided to carefully inspect the correspondence the buyer had sent through eBay messaging. What particularly stands out is a message sent by the buyer on 11/22/2015 on the eBay return center "I don't have the expertise to open it up" and later "I haven't screwed with the laptop past seeing its non-functional, I haven't messed with the insides".

This is very strange he would make these unsolicited statements, since the buyer appears to also sell laptop parts on eBay - particularly laptops, motherboards and laptop CPU's, which would certainly mean that the buyer does have the expertise to switch these parts (he actually sells these laptop parts on eBay per his eBay feedback for his account).

In addition, the buyer somehow felt the need to state he didn't "mess with the insides" although he didn't even sent his return at that time, so there really was no reason for him to state this - unless in fact he did do the Switcheroo and he was defending himself prematurely before even sending the Switcheroo item.

Altogether it is very obvious that the buyer swapped the serial number stickers and returned his broken laptop instead of the pristine laptop I sent him, especially since he also accidentally included both serial number stickers.

So obviously I did not refund the buyer, and escalated the return to a case by clicking the  "ask us to step in and help", and explaining that the buyer returned the incorrect item,

that I have edidence, plenty of photos etc. 

Here is what eBay replied:

I wanted to send you a quick note to remind you that you still have time to issue the refund to your buyer now that the item has been returned to you to. I understand the buyer opened the case stating the item arrived defective. I can imagine how upsetting it would be to have a case opened against you.

I know that these types of transactions can be difficult to handle.

We kindly ask that you return to the eBay Resolution Center by 12/12/2015 and issue your buyer the $1,059.70 refund so we may close the case and credit you your eBay and PayPal fees.

Please note this case will be reviewed again within 2 business days of the last day for you to refund the buyer, which will be 12/15/2015. If we do not see that the refund has been initiated through the resolution center, we will close the case in your buyer’s favor and issue the refund on your behalf and seek reimbursement from you. If eBay has to refund the buyer, it can affect your search placement, selling limits, and other factors.  As we want to see you receive your fees back, we appreciate your promptness in issuing the refund.

Thank you again for choosing eBay. We appreciate your cooperation and I wish you all the best with your future transactions.

Sincerely,

Jordan A.

eBay Customer Service

So eBay wants the scammer to get a full refund, although I have plenty of evidence? The scammer returned a laptop with two pealed of serial number stickers?!

I process a lot of returns without any issues. Sure, no seller likes returns, but it is parts of doing business and I take back items in used conditon all the time, even if it was the buyer's error.

Several hours after I escalated the case to eBay, the buyer changed his eBay User ID.

But this is not acceptable and eBay should not let the buyer get away with this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Buyer returned a completely different laptop than was sent - eBay wants me to refund anyway.

I'm insanely curious how this turned out. 

Please let us know the steps you took, and if you were able to get the refund reversed!

-Kelly
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@shed-flips wrote:

@cell-com wrote:

The laptop I shipped to the buyer was in pristine conditon. Not a single blemish - like new.

I fully tested and inspected the laptop before shipping it.

Next, the buyer requested a return, stating the laptop arrived damaged - a single crack by one of the air vents. I accepted the return assuming this was shipping damage, and I sent the item fully insured. However, when I received the buyer's return, it was not the same laptop. 

The laptop the buyer returned was in severly used and damaged condition - literally full of scuffs, scratches and food residue all over the inside and screen. Completely dead, no power.

This was very odd, since the buyer claimed he received it DOA and it did not power up.

You said the item was fully insured.  Why did you have the buyer send the laptop back to you if it was allegedly damaged in shipping?  When I have a buyer claiming damage, I immediately have them take photos and send them to me.  Then I file the damage claim.  No need for the buyer to send the package back to you.  As a matter of fact - why couldn't the carrier question whether the damage happened going to or fro at that point?  Sorry you got scammed, hope it turns out ok for you.

Encouraging insurance fraud is not a good thing.  The way the OP did it means the OP is not complicit in the thief's scheme.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Same thing happened to me, except it was a printer, i even have messages of the buyer admitting they owned the same model, but ebay won't do anything except report the buyer, which won't get me my money back.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Encouraging insurance fraud is not a good thing.  The way the OP did it means the OP is not complicit in the thief's scheme.

Disagree.  OP said he accepted the return assuming it was shipping damage-indicating at that point he did not believe it to be fraud.  In my opinion having customers return shipping damaged items is not a smart practice.  I don't see how asking for pictures and filing a claim is fraudulent on the seller's part.  I think that is a stretch.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

USPS site specifically tells you NOT to reship damaged package -

Proof of Damage

Photos that clearly show the extent of damage will help with your case. For damaged claims, you’ll also need to provide an estimate of the repair costs from a reputable dealer.

If you received something damaged, please hang onto it until your claim is settled. You may be asked to take them to your local Post Office™ for inspection later. Please do not reship the package.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

I don't see how asking for pictures and filing a claim is fraudulent on the seller's part.  I think that is a stretch.

Of course it is not fradulent on the seller's part. Truth is, buyers are not obligated in any fashion to comply with the request or participate in any insurance claimas far as ebay nor the sister PayPal are concerned.  With that in mind, any buyer can claim a SNAD .....Significantly not as described, and so long as they know how to play the game, get to keep the item and get a refund from the seller at the same time. 

I have always had buyer cooperation if something is indeed broken. Filed USPS insurance claims and all was good.    These are REAL buyers.  The fraudlent ones hide under the rock they came out of.    

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Just had the same thing happen to me. Except Buyer sent me 3 old spark plugs instead of the 2 knives he bought for 70.00. I opened a complaint against him with EBay. The way you guys are talking, sounds like I will be out 70.00. With all the EBay fees I can't afford much of that. Hope you all have some luck, but it sure doesn't sound too good for the seller trying to make an honest buck. I don't even except refunds, but have given one legitimate one. Which they would do more for us. Sorry ranting a little, still **bleep**, just happened today.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 23 of 23
latest reply