cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is claiming the North Face jacket I sold was fake

I sold a "The North Face fleece jacket" and I received a negative feedback for the first time. I have been selling and buying on ebay since 2007 with a 100% positive feedback. The buyer left me negative feedback saying "fake" and not contacting me. I know in fact it is not fake because I bought it from the outlet store. Can this buyer open a case? after leaving a negative feedback? If she opened a case and took the process of returning the item, will I have to pay for the return shipping label?

I had a buyer who claimed that item (purse) was a defect(strap adjust was odd or something) and I KNOW nothing was wrong with it, but I had to take the item back to me and had to pay for the shipping label. When I got my purse back there was absolutely nothing wrong and guess what...I was able to sell in different selling app with positive feedback. I am not liking this ebay policy....-_-

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

North Face is a highly counterfeit brand.
Just because you bought it at a outlet doesn't make it real. Someone could of returned a fake.
Not saying yours is as I wouldn't know one from the other.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@okinawa3301 wrote:

I sold a "The North Face fleece jacket" and I received a negative feedback for the first time. I have been selling and buying on ebay since 2007 with a 100% positive feedback. The buyer left me negative feedback saying "fake" and not contacting me. I know in fact it is not fake because I bought it from the outlet store. Can this buyer open a case? after leaving a negative feedback? If she opened a case and took the process of returning the item, will I have to pay for the return shipping label?

I had a buyer who claimed that item (purse) was a defect(strap adjust was odd or something) and I KNOW nothing was wrong with it, but I had to take the item back to me and had to pay for the shipping label. When I got my purse back there was absolutely nothing wrong and guess what...I was able to sell in different selling app with positive feedback. I am not liking this ebay policy....-_-

@okinawa3301

If she opens a INAD (item not as described) case,  yesirree.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Be very careful what you buy at the outlet store.

At the very least they have defects or are not of the same quality, so that is why the buyer may have thought it was fake.

Did you indicate in your listing it was from an outlet store?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I don't know why sellers always say "I've been selling for ____ years and have 100% positive feedback", as if to add justification to why the neutral/negative is wrong. No matter how perfect your items are or no matter how good you try, you're always going to get a neutral/negative eventually as long as you keep selling. There's always going to be the dishonest and rude buyer that comes along to ruin your 100% flawless feedback history and if you're unlucky, the scamming artist too. I honestly wouldn't care too much about the one negative, since the rest of your feedback are perfect.

If she opens a case, you're unlikely to be able to prove that the jacket is authentic, not even with photos of the receipt or certificate of authenticity from North Face themselves (because eBay apparently doesn't care about any of that stuff; just making the buyer happy). Accept the return and refund. Yes, you're going to be out of shipping costs. If you get the same jacket back in the same condition, then good. If not, you can then proceed further with filing USPS and police reports.

Good luck!
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I disagree.

I looked up the listing.  OP makes no mention that it came from an outlet.

And that makes a big difference imo as to the quality of the item.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Just respond to the feedback publicly, "return for refund", and nothing else.  People that do things like that instead of messaging you, or opening a case, are usually hoping for an over-the-top reaction.  They either aren't smart enough to understand civility and message you first, or they think the only way to get what they want, is to pressure you after leaving that kind of feedback.  just try it and see what happens.  Don't do anything else until they make their next move.  The good news is, negs & neutrals don't hurt like they used to and, other buyers will see them acting this way, and normally ignore that.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@seraphim8510 said: I don't know why sellers always say "I've been selling for ____ years and have 100% positive feedback", as if to add justification to why the neutral/negative is wrong. No matter how perfect your items are or no matter how good you try, you're always going to get a neutral/negative eventually as long as you keep selling. There's always going to be the dishonest and rude buyer that comes along to ruin your 100% flawless feedback history and if you're unlucky, the scamming artist too.

This is very scary.  I dread the day it happens to me.   Every day I sign on to eBay I keep my fingers crossed that my buyers have been honest and so far after all these years, with 100% positive feedback, everything has been great.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@xgoblazersx wrote:

Just respond to the feedback publicly, "return for refund", and nothing else.  People that do things like that instead of messaging you, or opening a case, are usually hoping for an over-the-top reaction.  They either aren't smart enough to understand civility and message you first, or they think the only way to get what they want, is to pressure you after leaving that kind of feedback.  just try it and see what happens.  Don't do anything else until they make their next move.  The good news is, negs & neutrals don't hurt like they used to and, other buyers will see them acting this way, and normally ignore that.

I haven't looked at the OPs neg, but I have heard if someone was able to get eBay to remove a neg, by responding to it, it can't be removed.    

I wonder if contacting the buyer directly, to resolve the problem, might end with the buyer revising the neg feedback to positive?  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

That's the only drawback is that the neg can't be removed after responding.  However, it drops off in a year anyway, and that 100% is restored.  Rarely does the buyer revise their feedback.  Even if the seller does message them, the buyer may never respond, and the fb sticks.  Like I said, if there was something truly wrong, the buyer should've messaged, or opened a case.  I had one lousy neg and neutral where I tried working it out with the buyers both for remorse reasons, and ebay just said, "oh well, it'stheir opinion and we stick by the buyers".  I still stick by what I said because of my personal experiences.  Only so much one can do.  Better to lose a little than a lot.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply