cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer getting message I don't have a PayPal account ...

Today makes the 2nd time this year a Buyer messaged that they cannot place a bid on an Auction item and that they get a message that I do not have a PayPal account.  The first time it happened, the Buyer was eventually able to place their bid.  Today I messaged the Buyer that its an eBay-PayPal issue, apologized for the inconvenience and suggested that they might wait until later to try again ... how embarrassing ...

-Anyone having this issue?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

@slippinjimmy

@slippinjimmywrote:

@mr_lincolnwrote:

@missjen831  Yes, I have Buyers Blocked who do NOT have a PP account ... now of course I am afraid of asking the Buyer if they have a PP account in case the bird brain bots accuse me of trying to sell off the site because I asked that question ... catch 22, I'll let it rest and see what happens.

Do you know the reason why you have this block set?

Trick question right?  Not sure if that was the default when I signed up to sell or if I set it myself because I don't take direct credit card payments ... so as of today, if you wanted a yes or no answer I would say no in hopes of getting an explanation ... .

Regards,
Message 16 of 41
latest reply

@slippinjimmywrote:

@thatsallfolkswrote:

@missjen831wrote:

Did you block buyers who don’t have a PayPal account? A lot of buyers who don’t have a PP account linked to their eBay account misread the error message and think it’s the seller who has no PP account. Or they they think the seller is the buyer 😉

So many people misread that message. I don’t know exactly what it says, but it needs to be rewritten.

Maybe it's the same people who can't use "buyer" and "seller" correctly when they post on this board?

Here's that screen shot message embedded here for easier access:  To me its clear it is to the Buyer and not the Seller.

Screenshot (1104).png

Regards,
Message 17 of 41
latest reply

Not a trick question! Just trying to understand why people use this setting (which is NOT and has never been a default setting).

FYI - I've been on eBay for 19 years, I have 2 PayPal accounts (one personal and one business), I've never done a return, filed an a false inr or left a neg for a seller yet I would be blocked from buying from you because my PayPal accounts are not linked to my eBay buying id.

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

This setting may go away when Adyen is implemented. Not a fact, just speculating.

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

@mr_lincolnwrote:

Trick question right?  Not sure if that was the default when I signed up to sell or if I set it myself because I don't take direct credit card payments ... so as of today, if you wanted a yes or no answer I would say no in hopes of getting an explanation ... .

If you block people without a PP account you block:

People who don't have a PP account but who makes purchases by paying with a credit card through Paypal.

People who do not have their PP and ebay accounts linked.

I don't know of a reason why to use that block although many people seem to disagree.

Message 20 of 41
latest reply

I don't know of a reason why to use that block although many people seem to disagree.

If you are a seller of relatively expensive and desirable items such as iphones, game consoles, video cards, cameras and other electronics which are popular scam items this block can prevent some scam attempts and the tradeoff of having good buyers blocked might be worth it.

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

@lovtaco0wrote:

This setting may go away when Adyen is implemented. Not a fact, just speculating.

I'd speculate that your speculation is 99.9% extremely likely.

I would also speculate that 5 years from now the number of eBay buyers using PayPal will be dramatically lower than it is today even though the option to pay with PayPal will likely still be available.

Even though I have a PayPal account to receive payments I no longer use it to pay for purchases I make on eBay.

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

I've read that before but I guess I don't see the correlation on how it prevents a scammer.

Plus, I think a lot of people assume that they have to use it because they personally don't have a merchant account.

Message 23 of 41
latest reply

@slippinjimmywrote:

@lovtaco0wrote:

I'd speculate that your speculation is 99.9% extremely likely.

I would also speculate that 5 years from now the number of eBay buyers using PayPal will be dramatically lower than it is today even though the option to pay with PayPal will likely still be available.

Even though I have a PayPal account to receive payments I no longer use it to pay for purchases I make on eBay.

I agree that the number of eBay buyers using PP will go down. I do use PP for making ebay purchases but that is because I have money in there from selling.  If my money is not going to be put in PP I'm certainly not going to use it to pay...I would use my credit card.

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

@pjcdn2005

@pjcdn2005wrote:

@mr_lincolnwrote:

People who don't have a PP account but who makes purchases by paying with a credit card through Paypal.

Sorry but that first statement makes no sense, are you trying to say peple who have no PayPal balance but use the credit card to purchase through PayPal?  I currently have a chargeback claim in PayPal from Dec of last year which means people can use a cc via PayPal and purchase from me.  And the setting in site prefs has not been changed since it was set up over 2 years ago.  The chargeback seems to prove that people can finance their PP pruchases with credit cards, e-checks, etc. but the paymnet portal is PayPal ...

Regards,
Message 25 of 41
latest reply

If you are an eBay buyer who has come to eBay for the first time in the past two years there is no need at all to have a PayPal account. You simply pay with a credit card at checkout like virtually every other ecommerce site.

Message 26 of 41
latest reply

@slippinjimmy 

@slippinjimmywrote:

If you are an eBay buyer who has come to eBay for the first time in the past two years there is no need at all to have a PayPal account. You simply pay with a credit card at checkout like virtually every other ecommerce site.

To be honset, this is really strange ... Buyer is an (0) FB and a member since 2014 ... that is rather odd.  There is zero history, period.  They have confirmed they have PP account linked to their eBay account.  The other thing that is a little odd is that weekends are usually a busy time but other than one order this AM there is no activity, no bids on any auctions and nobody else messaging me that they can not place a bid because of the error message.

Has the "time to throttle mr lincoln's account" been thrown perhaps?  Just kidding ... but stranger things have happened.

Regards,
Message 27 of 41
latest reply

@mr_lincolnwrote:

@pjcdn2005

@pjcdn2005wrote:

@mr_lincolnwrote:

Sorry but that first statement makes no sense, are you trying to say peple who have no PayPal balance but use the credit card to purchase through PayPal?  I currently have a chargeback claim in PayPal from Dec of last year which means people can use a cc via PayPal and purchase from me.  And the setting in site prefs has not been changed since it was set up over 2 years ago.  The chargeback seems to prove that people can finance their PP pruchases with credit cards, e-checks, etc. but the paymnet portal is PayPal ...

The statement makes perfect sense. I don’t use that block, so people can pay me with a credit card even if they don’t have a PayPal account, and even though I don’t have a merchant account. You block those people.

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

@thatsallfolks

@thatsallfolkswrote:

@mr_lincolnwrote:

@pjcdn2005

@pjcdn2005wrote:

@mr_lincolnwrote:

The statement makes perfect sense. I don’t use that block, so people can pay me with a credit card even if they don’t have a PayPal account, and even though I don’t have a merchant account. You block those people.

Up until now it has not been an issue ... the Buyer has advised that they DO have a PP account AND it is linked to eBay.  The issue is NOT with how my setting is for PP, it is with eBay-PayPal.  Something is happening and I am not sure what it is ... yestreday I posted a thread on what I thought was a new Help Page rollout (pic below) only to find that its a format from like pre-2008 AND others are seeing it too.  The Community has been rather glitchy too ... two pics below of regular errors either logging on or while typing.  Sorry, but again, others have been purchasing just fine, the issue is eBay-PayPal ...

Screenshot (1106).pngScreenshot (1105).pngScreenshot (1107).png

Regards,
Message 29 of 41
latest reply

Where is the PP block?

Message 30 of 41
latest reply