cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims item not in package

I have a buyer that claims 6 days after receiving package noticed that the long gown missing. It is a gorgeous mother of the bride gown and ornate jacket buyer claims I only sent jacket while both on same hanger for pictures wants to work a deal for reimbursement or else also does not want to pay return shipping as quoted. How do I avoid negative feedback and debunk her claim

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

How do I avoid negative feedback and debunk her claim

@estatesbyrose 

You can't do both. ^^

You can avoid negative feedback by issuing a return. You'll have to refund the buyer in full when you get it back.

Sorry this happened to you.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@estatesbyrose 

You probably won't avoid negative feedback, but don't let that bother you.  Most buyers don't check feedback and how you respond to the negative can defuse it completely.

First shot across the bow: "I'm so sorry there was a problem with the order.  Both items were shipped on the same hanger so I'm sure they were in the package.  I've notified USPS of the possible mail fraud due to the package being tampered with.  Since mail fraud is a felony please retain the original packaging for inspection by postal inspectors if required."

You can also add the following:  I'm also going to the Post Office to retrieve a detailed tracking report which will include package weights along the way to see if I can pinpoint when the dress was removed."

Go silent.  DO NOT offer a partial refund no matter what they say, do not respond other than "I've filed with the UPSP and are awaiting their response."

IF the buyer proceeds to open a return request, then you MUST accept the request, if you don't eBay will force the issue.  Choose the option for eBay to issue a return label.  Send a message through the return request:  "Return all items for a full refund."  From this point on this is your only response "Return for Refund."

Let us know how this goes from there.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You can't debunk the claim.  Even though you are being scammed, the shipping was 50% of the sales price so not worth being returned.  Best bet is to just give a partial refund if the seller is willing and then report the seller.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

You can't debunk the claim.  Even though you are being scammed, the shipping was 50% of the sales price so not worth being returned.  Best bet is to just give a partial refund if the seller is willing and then report the seller.

Per the OP's post it doesn't sound like a return request has been made yet.  The seller should NOT give a partial refund in this situation.  Once a return case is opened then the "returns dance" begins.  It's up to the seller whether or not the return cost is worth it.

Since the OP offers free returns, they can deduct up to 50% of the original payment if and when the items are returned, especially if the dress is not included in the return.   At that point the seller should report the buyer.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Package undamaged she has it so I should contact her usps for weight I did pull that line about weight
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@estatesbyrose wrote:

I have a buyer that claims 6 days after receiving package noticed that the long gown missing. It is a gorgeous mother of the bride gown and ornate jacket buyer claims I only sent jacket while both on same hanger for pictures wants to work a deal for reimbursement or else also does not want to pay return shipping as quoted. How do I avoid negative feedback and debunk her claim

Here is what I would do:

1. No haggling around with partials, also do not enter the buyer's argument.

Whatever the reason always and simply reply with return for refund as such:

Dear Buyer,

I am sorry you are unhappy with your purchase, please return for refund.

Thank you,

Seller

(and yes just like that, with literally the words "Buyer and Seller" no actual editing and putting in their and your UserID, that is how I do that because it's highly robotic and robotic works good.)

You may have to rinse and repeat.

Obviously if you get anything back at all you will have to issue a refund, so do that if it comes up.

If you get a negative or neutral here would be my reply:

* I am so very sorry, please message us so I can make this right for you.

Yup, yup, use the OPPORTUNITY of a negative feedback to look good in front of all your OTHER buyers!

See there you tried to help right down to the end, even as your ship was sinking you said please and thank you.

That is how I would handle this issue.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@estatesbyrose   I tend to agree with @m60driver that you are being scammed for a partial refund.  Just message the Buyer to let them know they have 30 Days to return the purchase.  Do NOT engage in a discussion about their "alleged" issue ... just take the professional high road and let them know they can return the item no questions asked.  You can offer to pay the return shipping if you want, your choice.

They are probably savvy enough to know that if they DO process a claim it will be a INAD forcing you to pay the return shipping.

As to Feedback ... you have absolutely no control over what FB the leave or don't leave ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

"Dear Buyer, 

I regret that your package was rifled before delivery, and have made a report to the USPS. If you would, please retain all packaging for the postal inspectors. They take theft of mail very seriously and will investigate. Please return the jacket for a full refund. A shipping label will be provided. Thank you for your continued cooperation as we look into this distressing matter. 

Your Seller"

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

There's some great advice on this thread.  Rather than tell her that you have reported it to the USPS, I would tell her that you're going to report it.  Ask her some question about what she received, such as whether the hanger was in the box, how was the garment wrapped, etc.  Tell her this will help you in filing your report tomorrow.  The reason I would do this is so she has time to "discover" that her daughter/husband/dog had removed the item from the box and, in fact, all is well.  

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@estatesbyrose 

Any update?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Not saying it's a scam for sure...but I would wonder if the jacket fits but the gown does not.....
Message 12 of 12
latest reply