cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer asked to send to different address. Abbreviated street name?

I didn't question it till I printed the postage. The guy seems a bit off and I don't know if its okay. Apparently sending to a differenet address ruins the seller protection which doesnt really exist anyways but I digress.

Not going to reveal his info but his street he wrote "scr"

Which apparently from google maps means "south central road." Am I going to have any problems mailing this usps?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

If its the same city/state/zip as in the paypal payment address, you should be good.

Neither ebay nor paypal seem to want to put the slight effort it takes into verifying a buyers address upon entry.

I send packages all the time to m ddress the buyer requests after they paid.  If the communication is done through the eBay message system, then it is eBy okay to send it to the new address, even if there is an issue due to buyer errors in the address, eBay will back you because they will be able to see the request made by the buyer and the tracking details.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

tara125314 wrote: ...his street he wrote "scr"

Which apparently from google maps means "south central road." Am I going to have any problems mailing this usps?

Run the address through the ZIP Code finder at usps.com.  They'll either accept it, suggest a variation, OR claim that it doesn't exist.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I have a prewritten response to addy change requests-got burned once when we were new...never again.  Back in the day I was a programmer and seeing as eBay is big on bots I assume any alteration of a buyers addy, even if it's just a common sense abbreviation could trigger/constitute enough of a change to invalidate seller protection.  I politely reply our position, that we're cancelling the order, I give brief instructions on editing addresses then tell them when they are ready we'll be happy to ship their order out quickly. 

I get 1-2 of these each month with a 50% reorder rate however you want to interpret that. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I had one lovely person use this address, in this format (note: NOT an actual address):

Apt. 123, Brklyn

Brlyn, Bronx, NY

3672 Mde Up Strt

Brklyn, NY 11223

United States

I told them I was going to cancel their order as the address is invalid and in the improper format. The street was also mispelled and missing vowels. I don't get why people leave out letters in their address. This isn't Twitter...

I gave them a link on how to fix it. The response I got was... well... rude to say the least. They insisted that they've received numerous packages at this address previously.

Cancelled and blocked. Sure, I lost a $400 sale, but I would rather have my merchandise than someone claiming not delivered/didn't order/unauthorized.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

I send packages all the time to m ddress the buyer requests after they paid.  If the communication is done through the eBay message system, then it is eBy okay to send it to the new address, even if there is an issue due to buyer errors in the address, eBay will back you because they will be able to see the request made by the buyer and the tracking details.

Good Luck Selling!

I am curious - have you ever had to test ebay on that policy?

And even if it is ebay ok - it is not paypal ok and paypal no longer has access to ebay messages.

In this age of ebay 'hidden' policies, I will never count on ebay to back their own written policy, no matter who tells me it is ok.

OP, if the address is only abbreviated, then it's still considered the same address.  If there are new numbers and street and/or zip code, then that is a new address and asking you to ship to it is a violation of ebay policy.

What you can do is report the buyer for unreasonable demands to ebay - the report a buyer button is at the right of the transaction in the more actions dropdown menu - AND after the report you can then cancel the transaction using the reason - problem with buyers address.

But I just finished notifying a buyer that his paypal address is wrong, the numbers were transposed.  The people who printed out their shipping never caught it and the buyer said he was wondering why he wasn't getting some of his packages.  I ship at the counter and the computer caught the mistake.  I asked the buyer and he sent me his correct address, and I sent him the paypal one he sent me.  So after several emails, it is straightened out and he is getting his item.

(*Bleep*)
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

And even if it is ebay ok - it is not paypal ok and paypal no longer has access to ebay messages.

In this age of ebay 'hidden' policies, I will never count on ebay to back their own written policy, no matter who tells me it is ok.

OP, if the address is only abbreviated, then it's still considered the same address.  If there are new numbers and street and/or zip code, then that is a new address and asking you to ship to it is a violation of ebay policy.

What you can do is report the buyer for unreasonable demands to ebay - the report a buyer button is at the right of the transaction in the more actions dropdown menu - AND after the report you can then cancel the transaction using the reason - problem with buyers address.

But I just finished notifying a buyer that his paypal address is wrong, the numbers were transposed.  The people who printed out their shipping never caught it and the buyer said he was wondering why he wasn't getting some of his packages.  I ship at the counter and the computer caught the mistake.  I asked the buyer and he sent me his correct address, and I sent him the paypal one he sent me.  So after several emails, it is straightened out and he is getting his item.

Thanks, Retrose.  I doubted it would fly with Paypal.  You confirmed that.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Retrose we complete over 12K transactions successful on eBay each year.  I can recall at least a dozen times this year alone.  It works the same way it does when you call to have a INR closed because tracking shows delivered.  As long as the first line CSR person can see the communication from the buyer about a new address and a tracking scan that shows a delivery was attempted to the same zip code.  That is all they need.  They close them out immediatelt and remove any feedback left from the user.

eBay considers attempted delivery as delivered as it relates to defects and feedback issues.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Retrose we complete over 12K transactions successful on eBay each year.  I can recall at least a dozen times this year alone.  It works the same way it does when you call to have a INR closed because tracking shows delivered.  As long as the first line CSR person can see the communication from the buyer about a new address and a tracking scan that shows a delivery was attempted to the same zip code.  That is all they need.  They close them out immediatelt and remove any feedback left from the user.

eBay considers attempted delivery as delivered as it relates to defects and feedback issues.

Good Luck Selling!

With 12K transactions every year - do you have an account rep?  Or do you call and get the same CS that us lowly small sellers get?

Because the sellers with account reps get vastly different service from CS.  And many of them are shocked at how bad it really is for us when they are faced with the basic CS.

(*Bleep*)
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Good Luck Selling!

With 12K transactions every year - do you have an account rep?  Or do you call and get the same CS that us lowly small sellers get?

Because the sellers with account reps get vastly different service from CS.  And many of them are shocked at how bad it really is for us when they are faced with the basic CS.

I use the same phone number you do.  12K transaction is not really that many.  it only comes out to 33 transactions per day.  If you have all the info when you call then it is pretty much a quick 2 minute call.  You can also read this info somewhere in the eBay policies pages.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Ebay says they will - Paypal will not.