cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer and Seller Issues

I have been on ebay for 20 years. In the "old" days buyers and sellers treated each other with respect, and with very few exceptions, things always seemed to work out when there was an issue to resolve. The common denominator in those days was simple...both parties had the option to leave negative feedback. That was the stick that made everybody tow the line. In today's ebay world, I've experienced a complete disregard for the "rules"  ( I use that word loosely) that govern ebay transactions from the buyers side of the equation and from time to time the seller side as well. Many buyers of auction items don't even bother to answer repeated requests for payment. Many buyers send questions that are rude or curt regarding an item. Many buyers receive items and file return requests using  reasons provided with the ebay menu as an excuse to justify "buyers remorse" .  And finally, as just a few examples outlined, buyers don't even bother to leave feedback. Sellers also engage in practices that mislead buyers, have poor communication and shipping practices, and deliberately slow refund policies. My feedback record speaks for itself as a seller. I am courteous, always answer questions to the best of my ability, promptly ship, and keep the buyer informed. I am also very generous with requests for delay of payment when asked. I refund unused postage when a buyer is overcharged for postage by the ebay shipping calculator and I try to be a credit to the ebay community.

So how did the ebay community get to this point? Arguably, there are many sellers who do great damage to seller credibility that have been allowed to vend on ebay. That's on Ebay. Equally, there are many buyers who really don't belong on ebay as well. That's also on Ebay. So on that note, here are some suggestions that I posit to Ebay:

1. Reinstate the ability for sellers to leave 3 negative feedbacks per fiscal year to deadbeat buyers; (remember the "stick" ?)

2. Create the ability for sellers to strike 3 negative feedbacks per fiscal year from their seller feedback ratings. (This is a necessary function due to the rampant use of negative feedback by newer ebay buyers that are clearly using the tool in an irresponsible manner) New buyers should still be allowed to use the "Star" rating system without the negative component until they reach 50 transactions;

3. Enhanced Ebay sanctions for sellers. If sellers abuse buyers by gouging, failure to refund without forcing buyers to open a formal case, misrepresenting their products for sale, or where they claim to ship from- to name a few-  they should be removed from the site by suspension or permanent debarment based on their selling history. (The current sanctions protocols by Ebay are too weak);

4. Enhanced Ebay sanctions/controls for new buyers who abuse negative feedback and/or demonstrate a pattern of failure to pay. I believe new buyers should not be allowed to utilize negative feedback until they have accumulated at least 50 transactions on ebay. (see suggestion #2) This "learning curve" will serve to transition them into a more responsible buyer-seller relationship. Where buyers clearly abuse the system of negative feedback or non-payment, they should be debarred or suspended from ebay.

I realize that profit and earnings pressures that guide Ebay protocols  require expanding buyer/seller metrics with emphasis given to the buyer side of the equation. That said, I believe the above suggestions would serve to make the whole experience by buyers and sellers better. Luckily, the majority of Ebay participants are good folks.  In closing, more is not necessarily better for either buyers or sellers if Ebay allows poor examples of each to participate.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Buyer and Seller Issues

We've also been selling for almost 20 years. And we recall it differently. Sellers were often at fault. Very unprofessional. Some downright criminal. And they held good buyers hostage with the threat of a negative.

This drove good buyers out. This is probably why ebay began the one-way negative option and why it will probably not change. Ebay has enough sellers and if one leaves two will jump in. It needs buyers.

I'm sure you also remember when there were a lot more buyers in here compared to sellers and sales & prices often went rocket high!

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Buyer and Seller Issues

Wow!  Thanks for a well thought out and elaborately composed work of art.

I think if you were the new CEO of ebay, things would start changing for the better...bit by bit.

As opposed to getting worse...bit by bit every year after ebay's annual changes.

Their annual updates which are heralded as improvements, are like trying to endure the Chinese Water Torture...punishment by getting hit by small droplets of water many times over.

Having said that, ebay has still managed to be a positive site for many sellers.  

But I see the numbers of interesting sellers dwindling year by year and replaced by the mega sellers offering run of the mill items.

I realize ebay does not care (nor should they) much about  interesting sellers and is focused more on attracting the larger sellers.

More profits and less hassle for ebay = happier investors.

Wish ebay could divide themselves into 2 parts and have 1 part for the "garage sale/small collector" sellers  & one for the mega sellers.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Buyer and Seller Issues

I may not leave negative feedback but I do "block bidders" from future transactions.  

I just wish I had the option of blocking bidders who have been blocked multiple times from other sellers.  So if a buyer has been blocked by 3 different sellers, I don't want this guying bidding on my product.  And eBay should simply "ghost block" the buyer with an error message.

I think there needs to be a quiet way to remove bad bidders from ebay.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Buyer and Seller Issues

Hi..just a follow-up note to your observations. As I indicated, the buyer/seller metric utilized by ebay is clearly geared towards the buyer these days. As I pointed out in my comment, sellers (particularly overseas) do abuse buyers with poor communication, product quality, tracking and shipping. Domestic sellers have borne the brunt of this rampant conduct. However, that said, I firmly believe the pendulum has swung way too far in favor of the buyer side of the equation. Surely allowing a seller 3 negative feedback strike/leave options a year would not serve to encourage improper intent on the part of honorable sellers like us. Ebay must police it's universe better on both sides of the equation. Ebay profits from both.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply