cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Stole Part of Item that they returned, any way to get money back?

Hello, 

Recently sold an item that was brand new sealed. The buyer opened it and took a part out and returned it, saying that they never opened it. We asked if they shipped the wrong item, they said they shipped it the same way they received it. 

Anything we can do? We aren't top rated seller this month because USPS  pickup never came one day, making our shipping times higher than 3%. 

I'm guessing since eBay has no respect for their sellers we are just screwed? 

Would calling eBay help at all in situations like this?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

LOL calling eBay. Sorry you are screwed. They will say "we have no way to prove you sent what you said you did." At best you can annoy the buyer by sending them PayPal invoices for the amount of money the missing part is worth. I wouldn't sweat TRS discounts it isn't worth jumping through the hoops IMO.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@rrthriftstore 

Unfortunately you are going to have to accept the return.  Upon getting the item back and refunding the buyer, you can then report the buyer for abusing the MBG.

Screenshot_2019-11-08 eBay Money Back Guarantee policy.pngScreenshot_2019-11-08 Abusive buyer policy.png

If you fail to report this kind of behavior, this buyer will continue to abuse the system.

Oh and put this buyer on your blocked buyer's list so that he is unable to attempt to purchase any other items from you in the future.

Sorry and good luck.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi so sorry this happened to you! 

Unfortunately, the remedy for recouping some of your cost was if you were Top Rated. Then you would have been eligible to withhold up to 50% of the refund. This is also the case with sellers who offer Free Returns.

With a 30 days return policy like yours, Ebay expects sellers to refund. It considers “faulty” returns like this to be a cost of doing business. However, i would report the buyer for misusing Returns. Returning the item with missing parts is considered to be abusive buyer behavior.

Here is the link to report the buyer:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/rules-policies-buyers/buying-practices-policy?id=4374

If this is an expensive item, you can pursue legal means via a civil suit in small claims court. I would also report the theft to the Postal inspectors as the buyer used the mail to perpetuate fraud, as well as contacting the police in both yours and their jurisdiction. You may not be able to recoup your loss, but reporting the theft to the authorities is the last thing a scam artist wants. They wish to sail under the radar to best continue their schemes.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I always forget to mention reporting and blocking. It has become instinct now. I really do wonder if reporting does anything even though...
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:
I always forget to mention reporting and blocking. It has become instinct now. I really do wonder if reporting does anything even though...

Yeah, I think it does...all sellers have to be consistent in reporting this type of behavior otherwise it is ineffective.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

1) File a complaint with USPS Postal Inspectors - Mail Fraud is against the law.

2) File a complaint with IC3 - They take a dim view of Internet Fraud.

3) File a police report and get a copy of it and the other two.

Call ebay and request an appeal, making sure that you advise them that you have copies of all 3 complaints/reports.

It may not get you too far.  Then again, it just may, but it will get the buyer on record and enough complaints and something may well be done.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 7
latest reply